adam

Project 86 mk2

As a few of you may know i have recently taken delivery of my second 86, due to a few issues with my first one. Things have taken a massive swing of direction since ownership and as such have decided to document this, as some of you may be interested in following the modifications that are planned for the very near future with this model.

To start this post of here is a photo from when i took delivery just before Christmas

569eaa0aa8563_IMG_20151218_1732171.thumb

Since picking up the new 86 aero i am incredibly happy to report that none of the old issues i had have surfaced, thankfully my local dealer has been incredibly helpful with everything and i couldn't possibly recommend them more. I am well aware that more than a few of you will not agree with the direction this build is going to go in, however for me this is a test bench to try out new products and offerings from various companies throughout the UK and abroad and to give as best reviews as i can, as such i have been working closely with a few companies already to try and set things in motion for this year, but more of that later to start with i fitted my set of valenti rear lights as i really dislike the look of the stock lights, an easy fit with great results. Following up with this i borrowed a friends workshop to polish and protect the paint through the winter.

569eac47ab475_IMG_20160106_1612471.thumb

This result was achieved with a 2 stage polish with my Rupes bigfoot da polisher, a multitude of polishes before degreasing and applying two coats of Gyeon mohs+ sealant, if applied correctly this can last up too a year if maintained properly, this not only helps to keep the car cleaner for longer but also helps to prevent all the winter salt and rubbish trashing the paint. 

This car is daily driven as well as tracked so its a compromise with parts so some things will be tested to see if they fit my needs, especially since i like to have fun in this car, after all who buys a rear wheel drive car just to sit in traffic?

2 hours ago, AJ124 said:

Awesome, does pic 2 hold a clue by any chance?

I couldn't possibly comment 😉 one thing I'm pretty confident in is that some of the modifications planned may be the first over this side of the pond, and some of the differences with the US spec cars and ours will definitely become apparent 

Just now, rob275 said:

Just fit your damn air suspension already :D

Unfortunately it's not quite as simple as we had planned on the uk model cars as everything is being custom valved 

1 minute ago, Tareim said:

well there is a guy on the owners club who has bagged his so you wont be the 1st for that, interested in the other things planned whatever they are

As far as I am aware the particular way we are achieving this will be as that one is very differently set up etc etc but we are still having to work each bit out as we go as it does get very complicated when starting to work out rates and stuff

Following on from the my first post and due to having some a few hours spare today i have started to put some things on the car, anyone that has met me might have realised that i have a slight obsession with carbon, not only have i done a lot of work in the past with moulding and using carbon as a job, but i also love the way it looks as it has a more high class feel to it and also looks pretty damn good.

56a518a72fc4a_20160124_1427171.thumb.jpg

starting with the interior, i have always hated the very stock looking plastics on our cars, not only does it feel cheep and nasty it just looks poor in my opinion, so we start by stripping the front of the car till it looks something like this.

56a519862f295_20160124_1444471.thumb.jpg

from this we can start to replace panels on the car i have decided not to document removal and fitting of these parts as its fairly common knowledge how now however i can put up details of how to if someone would like to know.

56a51a34b0352_20160124_1505171.thumb.jpg

56a51a6068cc1_20160124_1524241.thumb.jpg

I still have some interior bits to put on the car but these will have to wait a few weeks till i get a few more things through, i love the way the interior looks with all of the parts replaced, although it removes most of the colour from the inside of the car it does provide a nice contrast from the flat black look of the plastics.

we then move on to some bracing, i had fitted these summit racing braces to my old 86 and loved the way they performed and looked these will also come in to play at a later date with a bit more reasoning behind why these braces are the best fit for my application 

56a51b93a775a_20160124_1627311.thumb.jpg

this concludes today's post i still have an awful lot of parts to put on the car and will try to make sure to document all of these to some degree, however at the moment a lack of time due to a change of jobs and an immanent move is proving difficult to commit time to my build.

after missing a few delivery attempts from ups and wondering what it was they were attempting to deliver i finally managed to pick up my 356mm k sport front big brake kit after waiting almost 5 months, i still have the rears to arrive to try and keep the brake balance in the car 

56b0f9f354e6d_IMG_20160202_1829051.jpg.8

7 minutes ago, Mark-in-Stoke said:

Adam how did you remove the trim either side of the heater controls, that's the last bit I have to do on mine

I'll get a video done at some point this week if you would like it would be easier than explaining it

12 minutes ago, Mark-in-Stoke said:

Adam how did you remove the trim either side of the heater controls, that's the last bit I have to do on mine

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59602

Fairly straight forward. Biggest thing is to remove the bolts under the non-slip mat in the centre tunnel where the cup holder bit goes so you can shift the centre tunnel backwards and give yourself wiggle room

3 minutes ago, Rich196 said:

Wheres the carbon trims from that are round the instrument cluster, and by the side of the heater controls. They look great!

Iirc they are from grazio & Co but they aren't to Easy to track down

3 minutes ago, adam said:

Iirc they are from grazio & Co but they aren't to Easy to track down

Ill have a look. Like those its looking really nice. A ginger Areo, its what I would have gone for probably or a blue one if buying new!

Just now, Rich196 said:

Ill have a look. Like those its looking really nice. A ginger Areo, its what I would have gone for probably or a blue one if buying new!

Thanks bud, yeah my second new ginger in 2 years, I quite like the grey not a massive fan of the blue myself

1 hour ago, smudge said:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59602

Fairly straight forward. Biggest thing is to remove the bolts under the non-slip mat in the centre tunnel where the cup holder bit goes so you can shift the centre tunnel backwards and give yourself wiggle room

Seen this before but he doesn't remove the bits either side of the heater controls

4 minutes ago, Mark-in-Stoke said:

That would be handy, mate.

Okay no worries I'll try and do one tomorrow if I have time, so it's the silver bits you attached the the knee pads you want to remove?