Offa

... a refugee from Lotus

Hi, my name is Mark; after 7 years with a supercharged Elise, and lurking here for 6 months, I've at long last got around to posting ... prompted in part by the suspension tweaks applied by Abbey Motorsport last week.

So I swapped an Elise for a BRZ, crazy?  Nope ... I live on border between Herefordshire and Powys ... little traffic, an Elise SC and driver who's finally got brave enough to get the thing moving around under throttle was only going to end in tears.  I owned a couple of Impreza's in the 90s, however the BRZ is only the second car I've modified.  The first was a Saab 9-3 Viggen, a gorgeous looking car with a flaw ... deploying 258lb/ft of torque flexed the steering rack, subframe etc etc

Plans?

1. Suspension & alignment - already happened

2. Lighter wheels - ordered - down 2kg a rim (couldn't justify twice the money for forged that were 1kg lighter still)

3. Driver training

4. Staying NA so a manifold, a tune and rip out the sound-tube from the airbox!

Welcome along, I also bunged up the sound tube and last weekend ripped it out and fitted a samco intake hose.

what wheels have you gone for?

http://enkei.com/shop/racing/rsm9/ ... In black, it's a pure road car that will stay NA so 17 x 7.5, and will retain the Primacy's until worn.  That said, the way SWMBO was treating them earlier, they may not be long for this world.

And the Viggen?  I had one rack replaced under warranty, a rack brace and several other lumps of pig iron fixed to various chassis components with little success ... then I gave up.

http://enkei.com/shop/racing/rsm9/ ... In black, it's a pure road car that will stay NA so 17 x 7.5, and will retain the Primacy's until worn.  That said, the way SWMBO was treating them earlier, they may not be long for this world.

And the Viggen?  I had one rack replaced under warranty, a rack brace and several other lumps of pig iron fixed to various chassis components with little success ... then I gave up.

The best thing to do if you want to change direction in a Viggen is to sell it and buy another that's facing the right way... Nevertheless I have a huge soft spot for them. Just sold a stop gap mildly tweaked 9-5 Aero, and never has man travelled so fast, so comfortably for so little cash. Flawed, but lots of character and stupid cheap now.

Quite fancied a Lotus, but I have a family. The 86 is surprisingly livable as a practical daily driver.

Like the Enkeis. Have you found a decent price for them?

Congrats and welcome to the club! Glad you are enjoying the car after coming from a Lotus. Will you be doing any track days? We've actually joined the Lotus on Track boys on some of their events this year and hope to do the same next year which is always fun and not as busy as a typical track day, plus it's cheaper too. As for the primacys, you might be surprised on how long they'll last, proper hard wearing, I've witnessed Lauren spend a whole afternoon drifting her car around Anglesey and had lost hardly any tread....though I have heard some people wearing them down quite quickly which is surprising.

Lauren, your surprise is correct ... having rechecked my notes I am the victim of my own handwriting ... the Enkei's are a fraction under 7.5kg.  A useful saving but clearly not 2kg per wheel.

My TE37's at 8" wide (17's) are 7.4kg though they should be 7.2kg without the powder coat. It really makes a big difference though in every area. I also run stock width tyres, though currently Yoko Advans V105. They are a good tyre but struggle with standing water if you're going quickly. I think an 8" rim just pulls the sidewall nice and tight (still within spec) and helps sharpen things up a tad as you lose the sidewall flex. 7.5's will be better than OEM 7's of course. 

Have you decided on suspenders yet and what you're going for?

Ex Elise owner here too and just started looking for an 86. A I've aged somewhat since the Elise so I'm looking for an auto for relaxed motoring. If I want to go wild I can ask my son (SlideMotorsport) with his LS3 engined BMW Coupe!

All the motoring press reports talk of the cars being underpowered but I enjoyed the 118BHP in the Elise as much as the boys pushing 200 so see no issues. I always found a good setup worked as well as the extra hoursepower anyway.