Gringosteve

Which Xmas mod present

2 hours ago, Gringosteve said:

I doubt Tesco is mod friendly but my insurance is up for renewal in Jan

They are also not particularly price friendly! As I'm picking up my BRZ in just over 2 weeks I've been looking around for insurance quotes. I only have 2 years NCB because I have another car with my complete set. Tesco's quote was a very optimistic £700+! Admiral offered £345 for a 10 month booster and Direct Line (who really should give a discount as they use a GT86 in the adverts) who I have my other car insured with offered just over £400 so I'll probably go with them.

Just now, Willtl said:

They are also not particularly price friendly! As I'm picking up my BRZ in just over 2 weeks I've been looking around for insurance quotes. I only have 2 years NCB because I have another car with my complete set. Tesco's quote was a very optimistic £700+! Admiral offered £345 for a 10 month booster and Direct Line (who really should give a discount as they use a GT86 in the adverts) who I have my other car insured with offered just over £400 so I'll probably go with them.

I done the 10 month booster with elephant, works great to build your NCB

Lol at Direct Line, I'm sure they're not mod friendly and yet their advert has a debadged and a completely different sounding car which I find amusing.  Most companies who aren't particularly mod friendly allow you to have a couple of mods (e.g. I was with esure and they were mega cheap for me, but would only allow 3 mods on the car).

4 hours ago, Gringosteve said:

I doubt Tesco is mod friendly but my insurance is up for renewal in Jan

Wait till January and change to one that is. Worth looking at the insurers on here. 

Think I spend about £350 with Tesco but I live in a poor postcode (anything Stockport based is bad). I'm 36 with like 12 yrs no claims

Less bad than it was... But still - we're around that mark. Mind you don't pay much less on the Berlingo, and that barely registers on the insurance rating scale...

3 hours ago, Gringosteve said:

If I wanted to use ecutek to flash OFT maps what parts would I need; i find the cable, Dongle, license model confusing

You can't directly flash OFT maps via ECUtek due to the launch control and FFS intercepts that the OFT maps have, however it's simple enough to sort out.

Cable and dongle come as a package. This is what allows you to flash a car and open maps etc.

The ECUtek license is flashed to the ECU when you upload the 1st map, this means that your ECU is now able to have ECUtek tunes flashed to it. You only need the license once for the 1st flash and is ECU specific.

23 hours ago, Keethos said:

Lol at Direct Line, I'm sure they're not mod friendly and yet their advert has a debadged and a completely different sounding car which I find amusing.  Most companies who aren't particularly mod friendly allow you to have a couple of mods (e.g. I was with esure and they were mega cheap for me, but would only allow 3 mods on the car).

They will not insure a modified car at all. When I called to cancel my renewal (it was an automatic one) I first mentioned the price (it went up 25%!) and he started in to his "we can do something about that" until I mentioned I was likely to modify it soon and then he changed his mind and cancelled the renewal for me.

52 minutes ago, Mike said:

They will not insure a modified car at all. When I called to cancel my renewal (it was an automatic one) I first mentioned the price (it went up 25%!) and he started in to his "we can do something about that" until I mentioned I was likely to modify it soon and then he changed his mind and cancelled the renewal for me.

They allow mods, but generally only to people who are aged 50+ it seems. Even they they are anal about it, they've never been well priced anyway.

44 minutes ago, rob275 said:

They allow mods, but generally only to people who are aged 50+ it seems. Even they they are anal about it, they've never been well priced anyway.

You can find people insured with them with the odd mod but with their reputation for refusing them, I'd recommend avoiding them to anyone who was looking at modifying. They asked me several times to confirm mine was unmodified when I took the policy out. Price wise they were fine for me, didn't bother changing price when I added my 3 points a month after taking the policy out... but that might explain the 25% hike at renewal :D

Steve, I imagine they'll be like Aviva in this sense so it'll probably just go down as performance exhaust modifications or something similar. If you have to get specific, just say that you've got a new front pipe. Sorted.