Benji

I am going to buy one very soon!!

Hi guys, having cancelled my order for a Mk7 GTI, my good wife suggested a GT86. Was a bit unsure at first as I've never had much interest in Asian cars but a test drive last week totally sold me. Felt like so much fun and the cockpit is a joy to sit in. The gearbox also feels very engagaing. 

I hope to buy in the next month or so and have a list of mods to do already such as Valenti lights and some interior tweeks as well as maybe a Cossie stage one upgrade although I had been advised there are better ways to spend my money so will be getting some advice about that. Looking forward to some banter and learning a lot.

Cheers,

Ben

Welcome aboard. I think you'll enjoy the GT if you're a driver, I know I've had a lot of fun in mine. :)

There are loads of options for modifcations, this car was made to be modified so you will be well catered for there. There is loads of stuff on Youtube. 

Much more fun than a GTI that's for sure. Not quite as refined or as solid day to day but perfectly livable and more than made up for by the fun factor. I'd never had a Japanese car before either. Haven't regretted it. :-)

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to the aftermarket fun and making the car my own. Nicebiscuit, I agree that it isn't as refined or as solid but I'll be honest, I've had that before and whilst it serves a purpose, I want to have fun driving again and enjoy going out for drives. I feel the Golf wouldn't have quite delivered that. Really excited about getting one I must say.

I decided to cancel because of the current issues facing VW. I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon about such matters and I know it only affects diesel engines but the bigger picture was more problematic for me. I buy into a brand and have owned 4 VWs before, so I guess it just tainted my excitement towards the brand. When I drove the 86, it made my mind up. I think the Golf was a compromise of  car that does everything well but just didn't excite in the way the 86 does. Hope that makes sense lol.

Hi Ben, 

Welcome to the club, I think you made a wise choice cancelling the VW order and going for the 86. It will be a more engaging drive and it will no doubt have hurt their reputation. Regardless of if you buy a petrol or diesel VAG, it's definitely going to affect its depreciation rate for the foreseeable future in my eyes.

Good choice Ben

The Golf would have been a safe decision...probably. But the GT86 is a safe decision with a whole loan of fun chucked in

The availability and diversity of aftermarket parts is certainly one aspect of the 86 that I love. It means that everyone is able to modify their cars in a way that suits them

You won't regret it, had mine just over a year and everybody's really helpful and loads of mods and advice. People still ask about the car as not many on the road and different to the German brigade!

Yes, I do love a friendly forum. When I had my R32, I was never off the OC as I was constantly learning and the banter was excellent. This place seems great too. The scope to personalise is very appealing as well especially compared to what was on offer for the GTI.

Welcome along Benji!

if you enjoy 'driving' then you'll love the 86. I find it great fun mastering the art of driving again after many more powerful cars in the past.

the VW is a very good car but rather predictable and as you say a safe choice. The GT 86 is a bit left field (which I like) and if you find your self explaining it to someone then they are not a car person! Have fun driving again my friend!

oh and if you get a chance come and join us on track as the Drivers Club organise many many events to hone those skills in a safe environment.

John

Thank you John. I have been fortunate to have received some driver training beyond the basics so whilst I never ever want to put anyone at risk on the roads, I do enjoy an engaging drive and I think this I the perfect car for ultimate driver involvement (at this sort of price). The fact that is left field made it all the more appealing. To buy something that doesn't follow the masses is what really appeals to me as well.