Sign in to follow this  
JamesP1991

Favourite Racing Car When Growing Up?

Last night when I was bored I rooted through my room to clear out old things and I stumbled across my 93,94,95, 96, and 97 BTCC VHS video reviews complete with Murray Walker commentary. 

I have always been fascinated by motorsport and my love of cars stemmed through endless hours of watching my BTCC videos when I was as young as 3 and 4. 

It got me thinking, we all have our favourite racing cars growing up, so I thought I would ask any motorsport nutters out there on here what was your biggest influence car wise or favourite racing car when growing up? 

Mine was this: 

post-1091-0-22342200-1438852351_thumb.jp

post-1091-0-80170200-1438852058_thumb.jp

I know the pictures are of the 1997 car, but the 1996 Supertouring 4wd Audi A4 Quattro driven by Bintcliffe and Biela was the one for me. It was the first BTCC season I could fully watch and understand now being 4-5 years old at the time and the silver cars dominated the championship, until in 1997 TOCA slapped big weight penalties on them due to the 4WD presenting a big advantage. I have had a soft spot for them ever since. 

What was yours? 

Okay the first car I really fell in love was the Toyota ST165 Celica GT-Four and its dominance in the WRC

Driven by the legend Carlos Sainz in the WRC in 1990-1991

toyota-celica-gt-four-st165-carlos-sainz

Then it was replaced by the Toyota ST185 Celica GT-Four WRC 1992-1994 Along with the Castrol livery

Driven by Carlos Sainz, Juha Kankkunen, Didier Auriol, 

1991_toyota_celica_2_dr_all-trac_turbo_a

And finally the Toyota ST205 Celica GT-Four 

toyota-celica-st185-rally-monte-carlo-19

The Castrol-sponsored ST205 Celica GT-Four, introduced in late-1994, was the fantasy machine for the Sega computer-game generation. Although it was  disqualified from the World Rally Championship in 1995 following a scandal surrounding turbo air restrictors, the car became one of the most universally loved Japanese competition machines yet seen. If you were a car-kid in the 1990s, you knew all about this turbocharged, bewinged, bug-eyed Celica.

This is a great compilation video of the ST165 & ST185, listen to that sound mmmmmm  :wub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XblrFPdkwM

Gp5 Lancia Montecarlo..period.

Loved it so much I built a replica, which is still out there.

Great question, impossible to choose one for me, by category the following are all remembered fondly:

Rallying - Grp B Ford RS200, Grp A Lancia Delta (has to be in Martini colours!) and the first two door Impreza WRCs (1997 to 2000)

F1 - Williams FW10 and FW11, Jordan 191, Ferrari 412 (18,000rpm V12 goodness)

Sportscars - Grp C Mercedes and Jaguars, Ferrari 333SP and much more recently the Lola Aston (more V12 goodness!)

I wasn't in to cars as much when I was a kid but the 2 that I remember from growing up are the Castrol sponsored ST202 and Impreza rally cars

Ah, but which would you prefer ......

......the Quattro ? or the E ?

Couldn't honestly say, I've always loved the E-Type, but Suzi was my first love and will always hold a special place in my heart...