Willtl

Potential BRZ owner

Hi all, first post from a newbie. I've recently decided on a BRZ (pending test drive tomorrow). Have a couple of questions that hopefully a few owners can help me with (pretty basic things).

Firstly, the colour. On the website there only seems to be 3 colours available (thinking of the SE model) but in the brochure I downloaded there is 6. My current preference is white and although this shows in the brochure, doesn't show on the site. Is this available?

Secondly, the very basic audio system. I can't believe that in 2015 it comes without bluetooth and DAB so this is going to need to be replaced. Are there any controls on the steering wheel for the audio system or can I just replace it without a loss of features?

The final quandry I have is whether to buy a new model or 2nd hand. The cars are cheaper than I expected (£22,495) but the dealer I'm going to tomorrow has a pre-registered model with delivery miles for £20,995. I'm not sure whether this is good value because if I come to sell it in the future the next owner will be the 3rd rather than the 2nd owner and the car would be black rather than my preferred option of white.

Also, can anyone advise if Subaru dealers have any flexibility to offer any kind of discounts on new cars and if so, how much? In the past I've always found that dealerships will give some form of discount, but as only around 100 BRZs are sold annually, not sure if discounts will be possible.

First of all, welcome :) I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay here as I have since joining not too long ago myself.

From your post, it doesn't seem like you've chosen the BRZ over the GT86 for any particular reason, so I'm going to assume both are an option.

From the questions you're asking, you may be better suited with a GT86 instead (personal opinion, others may disagree).

Firstly, as you're buying new, or nearly new, you may find that a 6-12 month old GT86 is slightly cheaper than a similar age BRZ, due to the GT86 being slightly more common. White is also a more common GT86 colour, as most BRZ's I've ever seen are in the Subaru blue.

With regards to bluetooth and DAB, the GT86 has bluetooth as standard, and DAB can be fitted at any Toyota dealership for (I believe) around £180.

Personally, if I were in your position, I would try to buy a white GT86 that's around 6-12 months old. That way, the initial hit on depreciation has been absorbed elsewhere, you still have 4 years of the manufacturer's warranty, and you have plenty of choice.

Again, others may have their own opinions, but that's just my 2 cents.

1st question for you, why a BRZ over a GT86? You can typically find much better deals for the Toyota's whether they're new or 2nd hand

Any dealer in their right mind will give you something or maybe a bit of money off as they want to sell the car. But it's all down to your haggling skills...

No controls on steering wheel, the system isn't integrated with anything else much, and the hole takes a double din system (with an adaptor) so swapping out is straightforward compared to most cars. The add on DAB doesn't look that great - personally if I swap I'd put the £180 towards a better head unit.

I just bought new rather than used as there were deals to be had that made the first year depreciation look not too bad. And I'm a tight Yorkshireman. I'd never buy a new Vauxhall Astra or something...

I too would look at a gt86 if you want a white one - there are more about...

Thanks for the replies. The reason I'm going for the BRZ over the GT86 is mainly because there are less about, they look the same but the BRZ is more exclusive (I understand that 1,000 GT86s are sold vs 100 BRZs annually).

Assuming I get the car, ripping out the audio will be the first thing I do - you can get a pretty decent double din system for around £300.

I bought a BRZ ex demo after a test drive

Why- well £3k saving on new

Same price as year old GT86 with average miles

Only 340 miles on the clock

Yes I did haggle £500 off the screen price

Subaru is not on drive the deal, Toyota is so perhaps use this to size up the discount you are after

We bought a silver and I think it shows the curves better than red or white. Indeed a friend who sees loss of GT86 cars as he works close to a Toyota head office commented that none had looked as good.

I think the Toyota head unit is better, but for me the deal I had was perfect

I prefer the Subaru front end and drl too

That said my perfect spec would be like the primo, but with xenon lights

I think a proper key start is better than any keyless option, 16" wheels and tyres will be lighter as well

Through drive the deal std primo in white (the most expensive color) £20,640

I assume you are going to Woodford, Simpson's where I bought mine have another silver one up at £1000 more

I found them Simpson's great to deal with even though they are 60 miles away

I'll also give a big thumbs up for Simpsons , easy to deal with , so easy I've bought my last 4 Scoobys off them ,  

know their way around a BRZ and it's service requirements ,

I'm 60 miles away from them in the opposite direction to Solwood and happily travel to have my cars serviced by them

So if a silver one takes your fancy then I'd have no hesitation in recommending them

I'm also in a silver BRZ and think it's a colour that works well on the car

Welcome Willtl 

When I last looked you could get the BRZ in White in SE spec. Have a look around on autotrader & subaru website and find a decent pre-registered one, there should be a couple about. 

As for the radio, yes its crap but there is plenty of aftermarket options available. That was the first thing to go in mine, also the aftermarket pioneer subaru fit is crap. 

Yes you should be able to get discount on one, just be prepared to walk away if they don't want to do anything.

Will

p.s. I'll sell you my blue one if you want?  :D

p.s. I'll sell you my blue one if you want?  :D

Not sure I like the sound of that. Do you have 2 or are they terrible and you want to get rid of it? :unsure:

Welcome to the club, not much to add really to what others have said but I'm very suprised that their site only mentions 3 colours when there are definielty more...maybe they're just not available at the moment due to low numbers? The steering wheels have not buttons so no additional functions, the cruise control is on a stalk on the base of the wheel, the question is if there are any connections for you to connect a steering wheel with controls on.

Not sure I like the sound of that. Do you have 2 or are they terrible and you want to get rid of it? :unsure:

Good lord no, its an awesome beast. Best "drivers" car I've ever owned. This is my second one, the first one meet a sorry end and I'm trying to decide if I should move on that's all.

So went for the test drive today. It was pretty much around town so this probably wasn't the best environment to test it in, but left feeling that my 325i Coupe drove better. Having said that, I am interested in the car and my main interest is due to it being fairly rare, which doesn't change due to my initial thoughts that the BMW drives better. There are other colour options other than the 3 shown on the website and even better news is that the colour I want (Crystal White Pearl) is considered the default colour, i.e. there is no charge for it. :)

I'm kind of OK with the price I can get it for because I've checked a few on-line places for this model and they aren't any better than what the dealer is offering. I also checked Drive the Deal for the Toyota GT86 and although that will get me about £4k off of list price, once I've chosen the colour for the GT86 the price before discount is £25,650 which is basically £3k more than the BRZ. It is a bit difficult to tell which offers the best value for money as the specifications aren't identical, but I'm going to stick with the Subaru.

I think though that I will have a 2nd test drive in a couple of weeks before going ahead with the order.

There's no doubt a BMW would be far better round town, or indeed on a motorway slog. The Subaru is out of its element. This is more fun on a B road though - or indeed an empty A road with plenty of roundabouts.

It's not a BMW substitute, nor comparable with things like Audi TTs or Sciroccos. They're all probably better cars, but this is the better sportscar. Make sure that's what you want though - otherwise it probably will annoy you...

I'd say you'd buy this car because you enjoy a pure and raw driving experience... You don't buy it to cruise down motorways or be comfy around town and to be honest I wouldn't want to be buying the car for that purpose any way, as you'll always be disappointed. Yes it can be a bit laborious in traffic, but on that Saturday afternoon, when you are at the start of your favourite back road and the Tarmac ahead is clear, there isn't a single car out there outside of Caterhams or Atom's that'll deliver a more fun and direct driving experience...

After over a year of ownership, I still get out the car after an evening hoon with the biggest smile on my face, and any BMW or Scirocco is not going to be able to do that to the same degree for you.

The beauty of this car is that it is both so accessible and easily modifiable to create something you personally want. Don't like something? Change it! There is such a strong aftermarket following now you'll be hard pressed to find any two 86's the same.

But as Nicebiscuit says, you buy this car for a specific purpose, so if you buy it expecting something else or start to comparing it to others you will always leave disappointed.

I didn't find it a problem in traffic, I was just stating that it didn't feel as good as the BMW. It was by no means bad and coming from a TVR, the BRZ is luxurious in traffic by comparison.

Having done a serious amount of mileage in my car (65K) I find it absolutely fine in traffic and I use it on the motorway a lot as I work away currently. It's fine. It's going down the Peage through France and over the Alps again at the end of the month and down to Italy. I did a similar journey two years ago in it. It does fine as a GT car. 

Everybody junks the stock head unit. The Toyota one is better, but it's still not very good. 

I would advise that when you go on another test drive, go on some decent roads. This is a drivers car and that's where you'll have your fun. 

First off welcome to the Driver's Club

When I arranged a test drive in the GT86 Auto,I requested an 1hr drive on roads of my choice,instead of the 15min test drive round the usual route they do in the rest of the range !!

I liked the car so much that upon returning back to Motorline Gatwick I then ordered one

I actually like the Touch and Go System and paid the extra £750 for the Sat-Nav Software

The DAB Software will cost £298.60 including fit on the GT86 and I will have that fitted on my 4th Service that is due in 5,500 miles time

Partly why I bought the GT86 over the BRZ was because my nearest Subaru Dealer at the time was in either Bookham or Epsom Surrey !

The BRZ looks lovely in Silver where as the best Colour to have the GT86 in was Dark Grey for me

I preferred the optional spec on the GT86 over the BRZ SE Lux Spec

What ever you buy,you will love the car and find nothing else to replace it with,when the time comes to let it go and do what some of the rest of us are doing and end up keeping the car and modding the shere crap out of her

Sent from my Archos 53 Platinum using Tapatalk

I didn't find it a problem in traffic, I was just stating that it didn't feel as good as the BMW. It was by no means bad and coming from a TVR, the BRZ is luxurious in traffic by comparison.

I'm just nervous of recommending something I happen to love... Everyone's tastes are so different. I came at it from the angle of wanting something fun like an Elise or Caterham, but having to be a little sensible as I did need a 2+2. Thus the fact that it's perfectly livable as transport is a bonus.

I did really like my BMW too though for totally different reasons. A real quality item and really well engineered and relaxing to drive. Just almost engineered to the point of dullness. I admired it hugely but was surprised how much I didn't miss it...

My ears and head feel a little off this morning and I'm a little concerned that this is similar to the problem that made me have to get rid of the TVR. Going to need a longer test drive before and wait a day before I can place an order.....

Another thought might be - given that your concern is noise related, rather than anything else, if you can't get a decent long drive, perhaps someone on the forum would take you out for a decent ride in exchange for petrol and a coffee or two? I'd offer if you were in my neck of the woods...

Also worth meeting up with a local with a modified one - a few mods make these come alive!

On the brz / 86 front have you considered the servicing costs? Subaru charge a lot more for the pleasure than Toyota do!

Another thought might be - given that your concern is noise related, rather than anything else, if you can't get a decent long drive, perhaps someone on the forum would take you out for a decent ride in exchange for petrol and a coffee or two? I'd offer if you were in my neck of the woods...

I have to wonder if it is noise related. I didn't find the BRZ any noisier than my diesel Dodge, which gives me no problems. It might not be the car at all, could have been something else. I'm confident a further test drive will prove whether it is the car this time. I'm sure they will have no objections to a long test drive, unless they don't want my money of course....

Also worth meeting up with a local with a modified one - a few mods make these come alive!

On the brz / 86 front have you considered the servicing costs? Subaru charge a lot more for the pleasure than Toyota do!

You don't need to take the car to the manufacturer to maintain the warranty, pretty much any VAT registered garage can do the servicing so the warranty is honored - this is the law. So I could just let Toyota do the servicing if much cheaper, I'm sure they will know a little about the car.