remal

Why modify a new car - I don't need this explained to me but...

.. my wife does.

Our GT86 was standard for the past year until we got a new Fin aerial. Only changed it as it looks nice

The wife loves the sound and looks of the GT86/BRZ's we seen at Jap fest. But it's one thing to say they look and sound nice but another trying to explain spending money on new mods. 

but talking to her this week she came up with the " by why change things that are not broke" and on a new car. 

I've replied with " personalise a car to how you like it" the sound of a car is important. To me anyway.  And car's and bikes are my only hobby ( i'm not a football fan, rugby etc) so don't spend any money on other things apart from my love of all things with wheels. Apart from scooters and cyclists. 

Have you ever needed to explain to your better half why you want to change things when they are new or don't need replacing?

I've managed to get the wife to understand that a extra set of wheels and winter tyres are a good idea. If we ever get poor weather our way. So thats ticked off the list. A nice set of white Works wheels will be on the way this summer. As will a set of winter tyres

Still working on the exhaust as I would like to add Greedy SP elite exhaust.  

My wife is as much a petrol head as me " enjoys watching F1, Moto GP and going to BSB etc... 

But it's just the "replacing something that is new or does not need replacing that I struggle with getting my view across. 

Agree we are not all the same which is a good thing. 

it's good to talk and wanted to see if anyone else gets this or just me lol 

I get away with it because I'm single. Therefore I have the time and money to do as I please without getting permission from anyone else.

I'm having to explain my decision to modify my incoming GT86 more than I expected. When I spent the same kind of money on an older car (for wheels, coilovers etc) nobody cared but my family think I'm crazy for spending the same money on top of a £25k car. My girlfriend however, doesn't mind as long as I'm happy :D

The same reason why you bought a GT86 over an Aygo, they Aygo isn't broke, your rear passengers would probably thank you for having more legroom. It has 4 wheels, gets you from A-B, cheaper to run too... so why didn't you get an Aygo? All modding does is makes the car a little bit more "you", be it a bit more noise to go with the awesome looks, a more homely interior, more power to drag race a hot hatch. A new home supplied with magnolia painted walls and beige carpets doesn't need replacing, it's all new!... but is it you? The layout works great, the location works for you... but you still want a matching kettle and toaster, new cushions and jazzy curtains to make it yours.

Back in a mo, off to see if someone does a Beige wrap for the car.

haha if your single or even have a girlfriend that dose not count in my books. 

It's technically the wifes car as I have 2 others and a bike. But it's also a family car. One of mine is my work car the other a kit car so not really a family car 

We both went for the 86 over a boring daily driver as we like the car. We don't add many miles and for me (and the wife) it's more about having a car you love to drive and enjoy than something that's cheap to run

I've mentioned the " to make the care more us" but it's more to make the the car more "me" if you get me.

I know once my wife is coxed into seeing my side of the mods she will love them.

Just takes a bit of work to convince her ;)

My girlfriend has no say in such matters. However, I struggle to justify things to myself sometimes. I'll probably get to 10k miles before I start pulling it apart anyway, I'll feel like I got some of my money's worth then  :P  :lol:

My wife had the same attitude when I started the modding of my GT86 when it was less that 6 months old.  I even took her to Fensport on day for Adrian to try and explain it to her :rolleyes:.

Now that it is finished, I think she loves the end result as much as I do, and I know she will never let me sell it  :D You just need to convince her that she must trust you, and that you know what you are doing  :ph34r:

Depends how you do your finances in my opinion

Single joint account, needs to be planned agreed over a certain expenditure

Joint account for bills joint savings only rest is up to you.

We have a single joint account. I plan and cost up carefully to get the result I want from any major purchase. Not a whim. Then discuss it and my wife trusts me not to go too silly.

Our BRZ is standard, our vrs stage 1 remap chosen carefully and is better than std but feels oem. Been wanting to upgrade suspension on the vrs but waiting until it needs replacing

We have both commented on the quietness of the exhaust on the brz. Our combined age is over 100! Will we change the exhaust? possible after a couple of years as long as we can remap and improve overall breathinh as well and not ruining motorway driving

If you can afford it then fine if it means food not I the table then....

The easy solution. Joint account for household stuff and all that. Then I have my own accounts with my own money as does my fiancé. Just makes sense really. 

I just tell my girlfriend it's better than wasting it on booze, fags and going out, at which point I also ask why spending money on 20 handbags and 20 pairs of shoes is necessary too?! 

After that she has no arguement :P