remal

MICHELIN CrossClimate

I was in Costco yesterday and walking to the tyre chap about winters for the 86. I said that I was going to get a second set of wheels and fit the Winter tyres to my OE wheels. 

Then he said Why no look into the Michelin Cross climate. First I have heard of them. 

http://crossclimate.michelin.co.uk/discover-MICHELIN-CrossClimate.html

Seems to good to be true. A tyre thats great in the wet, Cold, traction on Snow and good in the Summer and also give good MPG and low noise 

I have plenty of meat left on my OE tyres but thinking would these tyres suit a 86? IE would the summer performance for a fast road lat on the weekend find these are not good. 

Anyone had any experience of these tyres?

It will be very interesting to see some proper comparison test reviews given these have only just been released and are claimed to be different to traditional all season tyres (jack of all seasons, master of none) so could be great for people who don't want to swap tyres around twice a year (or have issues with storage etc.). According to the Evo article they are apparently summer rubber with a winter tread. Whether that would make them suitable for our car (at any time of the year) will take someone to buy them and find out I guess  ;)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-CrossClimate-launched-is-this-a-game-changer.htm

http://www.evo.co.uk/track-and-travel/15600/michelin-cross-climate-tested-in-the-alps

Yes, I'd spotted after I posted this key paragraph from Evo: 

Despite the tyre’s impressive performance, Michelin accepts that the Cross Climate can’t compete with proper summer tyres in hot conditions or proper winter tyres on snow and ice. Neither does it claim that performance cars should run Cross Climates; they should stick to the summer-winter tyre cycle, but for those of us who run conventional passenger cars on a daily basis, the Cross Climate is a serious offering. 

Doesn't sound like they are for the likes of us then  :P

This tyre doesn't seem to solve anything. I've ran winter tyres the last two winters. They are kind of fun in that they have no grip whatsoever but it is very obvious that I would have beem miles better off leaving the summer tyre on through the winter. There were probably two days through each winter that the winter tyre paid off. 

Why I did not get winter tyres last year. We only had about 4 really cold nights last year and no snow or ice on the roads. Saying that apart from 3 years ago we have had it pretty good this way. If I was further north where you do get bad weather it's only about every 5-6 years we get any snow ice on the roads that stay for more than half a day. 

yeah I was fine in the winter months with my primacy's though there wasn't any snow or ice but definitely dropped below 7c (which is when your meant to have winter tyres) however as said above, just change your driving style and you will be ok

My experience, is that winter tyres don't really offer any advantage until it's below 3C. The 7C thing is more marketing than anything else as the temp seems to vary around that mark in the winter months in the UK. 

I think it depends a lot on the particular summer tyres you have. Some get very 'hard' in the cold, some don't. I have winters on my cars not least cause I drive to the Alps every Feb, and I like them, but last year in most of the UK they were a bit of a waste of time.

When it actually is snowy and icy though it's like chalk and cheese.

Yes I agree, that they do certainly have their worth. I was able to drive a snow cover lane at 70mph down the Silk road. But showing off aside, what I did notice was how much less grip they have over the Primacy tyre when temps were 5C. I don't think the winter tyres really offered much more in regard to grip in the wet either. 

The temperatures were just too high for them. I've learnt a cold, greasy road offers no grip whatever tyres you have on. 

What opened my eyes is that I left it too late one year - it snowed and then froze - so I slithered the 400 yards to my friendly local tyre fitter - swapped them over and then simply drove back. The difference was incredible.

Worst thing about winter tyres? Twice now I've driven into an icy work car park - parked up with no drama, opened the door, stepped out and fallen flat on my backside.... :-D

If it snowed more, I would get them. Primacys are laughable on snow.

Had to drive on snow last winter down a relatively narrow road with no street lights, any sort of (attempted) acceleration and the car wanted to go sideways which was fun in pitch black :D

For the one day every 2 years or so that it does snow hard, is it really worth the expense of a set of winter tyres? I can imagine if you are living in a place like Norway or Sweden etc, but in the UK I can't actually remember the last time we had a nasty frost and heavy snow... we certainly didn't last winter! 

But as Mike says, keep the Primacys on and have a bit more fun on that 1 day it does, or if you don't trust yourself leave the car at home and use it the next day ;) 

It does depend where you live I guess, but I'd gone to meet a colleague in a pub just outside Blackburn towards the end of last year and when I'd gone in there was no snow, when I came out two hours later there was a couple of inches and it was very satisfying in my Yoko winters to be easily able to drive up the hill nearby when there were two or three cars really struggling to manage it and in danger of going backwards. I find the real downside of winters is while they are fine in the dry, on wet roads they do lack grip, but you pays yer money etc...

If the weather is too bad for my car I abandon my car. Where I live that has happened once in my life, so I'm happy to take the risk.

I worked in Finalnd one winter and there studded tyres were mandatory of winter. I got a lot of snow driving practice there in my early years. Brilliant experience

www.im-tuned.uk