Sign in to follow this  
Polishingpedlar

Stolen GT86/trackers

There seems to be an increase in the theft of our beloved cars so as my insurance is up for renewal this month I'm thinking about getting a Tracker fitted.

Does anyone have one fitted or can recommend one to buy?

Obviously this is a sensitive subject for a public forum but ant info appreciated

I think Special K has one fitted? I plan on getting one but i'm in no urgency to get it sorted

There are plenty of different ones out there but take a look at these sites

https://scorpiontrack.com/

http://www.tracker.co.uk/

other brands are Cobratrak and RAC Trackstar

expect to pay an annual subscription for them, some people will say they are ultimately pointless as they can be disabled. But even so, most people nicking them wouldn't have the kit on them to detect if they have a tracker fitted and even if they did. It'll slow them down or they may just turn away from it as they don't know how well tracked it is.

There is probably the possibility of rigging up two trackers, one of which lies dormant until the other one gets ripped and it can trigger once stolen. You have to weigh up if its worth it though really.

Check with your insurance first as generally they don't give any reduction in premiums if you have one fitted.

You may end up buying one to save them money. And if it's been thrashed around do you really want it back?

Its not worth it really, the cost of the installation and the yearly fee means its not cost affective. I know because my Evo had a CobraTrak tracker fitted and it was something like £200 a year but it only reduced my insurance premium by £20. 

I would suggest that the subjective increase in theft is not significant at two cars where the keys were stolen from the owners' houses. If anything the best form of prevention would be to ensure your keys are safely stowed somewhere and not easy to find should someone break into your house. That'd be a far cheaper and more sensible option. 

What Lauren said really, the problem is people like to just get in their front door and place their keys on the side. Because it's just convenient when you go out next! 

I guess it depends how much you value your car. Get GAP insurance, job done.

That's okay, my keys literally sit right next to me in my room on my bed side table overnight.. Only way people would get them would be to go through me as well :P

Whats you're address? I'm willing to take my chances :D

Not sure how useful a tracker would be.

If they get the key and take the car you could track the car and get it back but get the key back? doubtful

Toyota took 6-7 weeks to change the locks and issue new keys.

They wanted to charge £2k

My insurers were not interested in covering that cost - in their eyes theft = total loss or nothing at all.

There's a tracker on my car.

Was fitted by previous owner and according to the manufacturer it's a pretty good one too.

Subscription fees were about £99 for a year or £379 for 4 if I remember rightly.

Check with your insurance first as generally they don't give any reduction in premiums if you have one fitted.

You may end up buying one to save them money. And if it's been thrashed around do you really want it back?

I wouldn't be fitting it for insurance reasons as my insurance is next to nothing (old git).

I just want to keep the car. And yes I would want it back as the car means a lot to me.

I wouldn't be fitting it for insurance reasons as my insurance is next to nothing (old git).

I just want to keep the car. And yes I would want it back as the car means a lot to me.

Fair enough. Mine does too but the thought of it being tainted by some rats thrashing it over speed bumps etc I couldn't take it back.

After careful consideration and previous posts( thank guys and girls) I have decided on future security measures.

No tracker... Seems they can be over ridden by the pro thieving scumbags.

So extra security at home instead. New garage door with garage alarm system.

Keys hidden at night.

My old disc lock from my Cossie days and one other secret hidden measure.

Should ease the worry.