Gringosteve

Help me decide

Hi

I am in the market for a new car and the GT86 is at the top of the list. I have previously owned 3 Type Rs and 2 VXRs (among other fun stuff) and hanker after something Rwd.

I have 2 options

1) 14 plate TRD (leather and nav) with 8,000 miles for £25k

2) 63 reg standard with 8,000 miles for £18k

My mind says (2) but my heart says (1) love the kit, leather etc

Decisions decisions :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go for the standard car, the TRD extras aren't worth it, if you really hanker after something different then spend the difference between the 2 cars on some modifications, there's no shortage of kits fo rinside  and out plus plenty of engine tweaks, exhausts, suspension brakes etc etc you can get a 'lot' for 7K

Save the money and spend it on the upgrades you want, £7k would mean the worlds your lobster !

My car is still bog standard and its an absolute hoot on track

Get used to it as standard then decide what to spend your £7k on, (you can probably buy a set of leather seats 2nd hand and bolt them in yourself)

If you live in Stockport Rich at RRG Macc will fit your aftermarket parts for you, he will also warranty them, he's Riceburner on here

There are a whole bunch of us around the Manchester area if you want to see a few options of what others have had done to their cars

And if you are able, get to Oulton Park tomorrow, as there will be a whole bunch of us there

Alec

We had a tour round the factory and I personally think that for the engineering involved the Cosworth kit is worth every penny, yes it's more expensive but its a proper engineering company that ruled Formula 1 for decades that have designed it. As an engineer myself I understand the costs involved in doing stuff like this properly and they have done an incredible amount of development and proving work.

If I won the lottery my 2nd GT86 would have the Cosworth kit 

I would add if you're buying second hand at least get a car with the leather/alcantara or full leather seats. Really worth it over the cloth I would say and isn't really going to cost you more to buy. 

That TRD is over priced. Not worth it. Unless you're desperate to get a TRD. Bear in mind that nobody every paid full price for the TRD. So I'd want to knock a bit off the asking price. 

I would get Tilly's TRD for just under £20k I think it is? Or go for option 2 the non TRD car, and then pump the £7k's you saved into aftermarket parts for it. Can make the car something unique to you then :) 

Due to it being a high compression engine, and to reduce knocking as much as possible at least 98 RON is considered the best for a standard car. Obviously you can put standard 95 RON in, but you will have less power and knocking will be greatly increased :) 

Sorry to hijack this but what RON petrol does Toyota/Subaru recommend for a standard car?

Toyota recommend 98 RON or super unleaded. It also states it on the filler cap. If you have to you can use 95 RON. In 63K miles I've never had to resort to 95 RON though as obviously super unleaded is widely available, I use Shell V Power 99% of the time.