Lauren

Which uprated pads?

Okay, I'm about to finish off my second set of OEM pads. They have done pretty well totalling over 61K and the second set were kindly donated by Dave (Pitman) so they'd already seen 14K before I put them on! 

What can I say, I'm easy on brakes!

But, my issue is that I can overheat the stock pads on the roads. This doesn't happen often but if I get into a rhythm on somewhere like the EVO Triangle or the Lauren Triangle, they do start to smoke. 

In terms of track work I mainly sprint, which isn't a big problem for the brakes. For the occasional foray onto track I would say in the 10 minute sessions I tend to do or the longer show sessions of 15 minutes, the brakes will be smoking by the time I come in. 

So, what I reckon is that OEM discs are just fine, but perhaps some uprated pads which can take a little more temperature would be ideal. I don't want aftermarket pads that are any louder than the OEM ones. I can take a bit of squealing but not if it's too loud, so would prefer pads that use anti-squeal shims. 

There's quite a few options, so I'm interested to hear what people and traders recommend. :)

I have the performance friction front pads and rate them highly, never heard a squeal and they were not smoking or fading after 15 min sessions at Silverstone, I had the oem smoking on the road on my test drive. Very low brake dust levels too, much less than oem. Can't comment on durability as they have only been on for 6,000 miles. But they look almost new still. 

Have also had EBC yellow stuff (new compound) and rate them highly along with ds2500's. Both on other cars, not on the 86.

Hope this helps.

Lauren easy on her brakes?! Never I don't believe you :P 

Intrigued to follow this thread though, as I too will be upgrading the brakes over the next couple of months so will see what suggestions are thrown your way Lauren. 

I keep looking at the Ferodo or Stoptech pads, with stoptech discs, so will hold off to see what others have to say about the candidates first. 

I'm very easy on brakes, getting around 40K out of the OEM ones. I don't know who 'Performance Friction' are, so I won't be getting them. I wouldn't touch EBC with a bargepole, had them before, terrible when cold. Heard good things about Stoptech, but no idea on their durability. 

I also don't get the point of aftermarket discs (they are not called 'rotors' btw) as a disc is a disc, so OEM is likely the best bet really. 

Thought about the Hawk pads as had them in the past on my DC2 and they were very good. 

I'm very easy on brakes, getting around 40K out of the OEM ones. I don't know who 'Performance Friction' are, so I won't be getting them. I wouldn't touch EBC with a bargepole, had them before, terrible when cold. Heard good things about Stoptech, but no idea on their durability. 

which EBC did you get? as one of them is designed for race applications so will not work well when cold

Tarmac sports were doing a full set up of Stoptech discs, pads and stainless lines for 500, not sure if they still are though...

I know OEM would be fine, but I'd be tempted by the upgrade all round as its unlikely to cost much more than OEM...

That offer from Chris at Tarmac was what caught my eye, didn't have the money at the time as it was a few weeks back now, but £500 for pads, lines and discs from Stoptech sounded like a great deal. 

I don't know who 'Performance Friction' are.

Odd, they are quite well known in Porsche circles, if that's anything to go by. Only hear good things about them, will be my #1 choice to replace the OEM and the basic set seem aimed at the fast street/trackday application. Very well priced too.

I was a big fan of my Ferodo DS2500's on my clubby, they worked well on both road and track but they did create quite a bit of brake dust which is an issue for some people.

DS2500 take a fair time to heat up, and from memory are fairly dusty. I used and help develop some PFC pads a few years back, but they were track biased. Lauren I have a set of Stoptech pads that have done no mileage at all ( changed discs and pads DBA ) you are welcome to them if you want to see if you like them.

Cheers, Steve, any idea on price?

Based on the US Price list, the fronts should be about $70. So I reckon about £70-80 a pair once in the UK for the Z Rated ones. Z Rated are front only and are the upgrade pads, 08 Compound are available in both F&R and are pretty much Motorsport pads.

Part numbers:

0929 - Fronts (http://www.pfc.parts/product/0929/)

1124 - Rears (http://www.pfc.parts/product/1124/)

I know GB Enterprises do Z rated for £72, not on their website though.

That's where mine came from, dealt with Grant.

Based on the US Price list, the fronts should be about $70. So I reckon about £70-80 a pair once in the UK for the Z Rated ones. Z Rated are front only and are the upgrade pads, 08 Compound are available in both F&R and are pretty much Motorsport pads.

Part numbers:
0929 - Fronts (http://www.pfc.parts/product/0929/)
1124 - Rears (http://www.pfc.parts/product/1124/)

I know GB Enterprises do Z rated for £72, not on their website though.

The thing is I must have pads that work from cold. My car is a daily driver all year round and I tend to do a lot of mileage. 

Kev, have you got pads for all four wheels? Let me know know what you want for them. 

Steve I'm not sure I want motorsport pads. 99% of my driving is road driving. Are the Z rated the ones I want then for the front? But is running a harder pad on the rear going to be suitable? I'm guessing the rears don't do so much. 

Z rated would be good for a road car. IMO the 08 are overkill, seems you agree. For the price I think the Z's are a steal.

I would say that stook rears would work but something like Hawk/Stoptech rears would be a good match I'd imagine.

Tell you what, I'll take that offer if it's okay Kev. Happy to pay shipping of course. :) Think I'll run Stoptech on the rears see how I go with that. Can always try the Z ones next time. 

Kev if you're at Japfest or Supercar Siege perhaps I can pick them up then?