Luisfcs

Hello... New one from Lisbon

Hello everyone.

Just bought my GT86, for now i will leave it stock to get to know the car better and because i don't know all the the option from what the market has to offer... and that's the main thing that made me join this forum, to read your coments and feedbacks from everyone.

And i am thinking on getting the engine to arround 250hp but i would like to keep it N/A, or perhaps i can change my mind if there's some better as well as efficient.

In the meanwhile here's a picture of it just after a wash.

Thank you =]

post-1291-0-88076600-1430665116_thumb.jp

Welcome aboard. I too would love the option of a high revving 250bhp NA, but alas, no-one seems to be doing it. It's hard to beat the FI options, but it's going to be expensive I feel to NA tune past 230bhp or so. 

Thank you... that's what i was thinking but i was still hopping to get to those values. I'll have to do some reading and research for the next months!!!! =]

Congrats and welcome to the club. I know 1 or 2 guys here who wish to do the same to get the most out of their NA cars but like Lauren said, it will be pricey.

Welcome to the club :) I too am doing a spot of N/A tuning, with the aim of cams/stroker kit next year. Will be good to see someone else go the same route instead of going FI with "easy power"

When I was speaking to Cosworth they reckoned that cams weren't doing it, but if you can find some proof then it's a consideration. Cams normally mean higher revs as you move the powerband up the rev band. Not sure how this would work with a stroker kit. 

I think that is because most of the parts are in their early development phases.. Which would look like they don't have much of an effect.. I read the U.S. forums quite a bit because they generally get the great Japanese stuff first.. Toda and HKS are starting to make quite big strides with NA tuning.

When I go to Fensport on Friday to get all my goodies fitted I am going to chat with Adrian to see what he currently knows on the subject. My ideal situation would be to increase displacement to 2.2L for a bit more mid range torque, but to then combine that with a set of aggressive cams to shift power right a bit and increase the Rev limit to say 8-8200 rpm.

HKS have released a stroker kit of 2.1L complete with Pistons, beefed up valve springs and cams, but I think they are using it as a "development kit" to initiate much bigger inprovements.

I want to change the throttle body and intake manifold too, but there are not any options for an improved manifold design right now, and there is no point changing the throttle body until that happens.

I'm happy to be guinea pig though as far as my budget allows :)

James - GPRM do a machined intake manifold which they use on their Avon British GT Championship car. Not cheap.. beatifully engineeered, as is every GPRM component.

I was at Rockingham on Saturday to watch GT practice, had a chat with the GPRM mechanics - with a stock crank and forged pistons/rods they are running 2.2bar boost...  <gulp>. 

And their GT86 was up there with the big boys - Astons, Z4's, Mercs. Fastest in practice 1... technical issue in race session two dropped them from second overall...

I would seriously question whether the oem manifold would stand that sort of pressure.

Spec K

James... I was thinking just that, and just by this small conversation i think i will have a lot to read from you all. Unfortunattly i don't have any one expert on the 86 here in Portugal to talk with and to explore some ideas.

This forum is excellent for advice, since joining here I have learned so much about the car! Any questions you need to ask on your journey, I am sure someone will be available to offer their advice :) 

Must admit, I'm not too worried about mid-range torque. More power at the top end is what I'd enjoy more. Higher revs too if it can take it. 

I think the main issue is the lack of oil pressure at high revs and the fragility of the valve train, if you read this post

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63723

it doesn't exactly fill you with confidence about experimenting with 8000Rpm shall we say

Personally I'd stick to the 7600rpm limit