DaveB

Turbo advice

It shouldn't - how much more boost are we talking?

Do you have an electronic boost controller or is boost controlled just by wastegate spring / manual boost controller?

A turbo engine will respond and mildly overboost in damp and cool conditions, this is quite usual. The air density changes and in a crude description the explosion in your cylinder is more aggressive.

^ Yep, thats to do with the density of the air though, not the pressure. Daveb specifically mentioned more boost, which makes me assume he has a way of measuring it.

The wastegate is what controls the boost, and doesnt really care about the density of the air it is 'boosting'. If the car is driving at high altitude, the turbo just spins faster (as wastegate doesnt open as early) to achieve the set boost pressure, whether thats just the spring in the wastegate or by EBC it doesnt really matter. At lower altitudes because the air is denser it requires less work from the turbo to reach the set boost level, the turbo spins slower. So density shouldnt effect boost pressure. 

Unless the turbo is running flat out the above should be true.

I think you'll need to give a bit more detail on the car and all that as what you are saying does not make sense. Boost pressure normally goes up when the inlet temperatures get hot, but produces less power as the air is heated. 

My Sprintex is noticeably more powerful on a cold slightly damp evening. The cooler air is denser. We notice this as well at the gliding club. On a hot day the tug plane struggles to get out of the field and over the trees with a glider on tow ! - which is fun.

You should theoretically be making more power as cooler air is more dense, denser air = a bigger explosion in the combustion process therefore making more power.

That is how it is for N/A cars, which is why your car feels faster in cooler conditions, and obviously a turbo car will still be going through that process. 

However your boost pressure should not be increasing and decreasing depending on how cold the air is, as that is electronically controlled at a set pressure (bar). Cool air will not "give" you more boost, it will only give the car more oxygen to use in the combustion process.

Anyone is free to correct me though, not 100% on that. 

My Sprintex is noticeably more powerful on a cold slightly damp evening. The cooler air is denser. We notice this as well at the gliding club. On a hot day the tug plane struggles to get out of the field and over the trees with a glider on tow ! - which is fun.

Boost in sprintex / any other supercharged application is controlled by pulley size, there is nothing in the system to bleed off boost pressure to the 'target' so it possible to see slight changes in supercharged applications.

As I said earlier with a turbo the wastegate controls the boost pressure.

Dave - have you checked for something as simple as a boost leak? 0.3 bar isnt an insignificant amount of air to lose.

Air is not an ideal gas so PV=nRT does not apply perfectly

Best advice, who fitted the turbo and who tuned it? Ask them  :)

Without knowing how boost is controlled in what you have fitted, there's no way to really diagnose anything.

I'm guessing this is on your Forrester (I think?)...

Standard or aftermarket boost control?

Either or 0.3 bar is a lot to be just climate effected, I'd check all vac lines etc to be sure.

Used to have this issue with the GT4's running MBC's/EBC's, set up in summer for 1.1 bar, got colder and the boost could increase to the point of fuel cut @ 1.2... with EBC's this was filtered out by reducing the gain on the control unit (as you are losing boost, if using an EBC increase the gain).

All boost control has some sort of compensation in the system to stop it fluctuating during normal use, the temperature affects this compensation...

For a scooby with an OEM setup, check the T hoses from the charged air to the wastegate actuator and the boost control solenoid.

If there's a leak there, it will cause over boosting as this is the boost control mechanism

However, doesn't explain why it only happens when cold...