Nige's Wide Body Project

Thanks for the compliments guys. It's certainly a labour of love... I've just added filler up to 6mm thick behind the drivers door!!

The rivets will probably be staying as this will be first and foremost a track car, and I love the 70's bolt on wings look.. I did say "probably" though???

I think that I am one of the few people fortunate enough to have the privilege to see the work going into Nige's car first hand - it is really going to be something very special when it is finished.  Nige has definitely made me raise the bar big time in the building of my race car  :angry:

I would have definitely took a hammer to the car by now for being such an arse

Oh believe me James, I'v e come close. I've evn considered the £5K for the genuine kit, but hey, I can make moulds, so I will.....

Definitely have the patience needed Nige! I guess you could put it down as a valuable learning experience at least too ;)

will you be keeping it the white colour it is now or will you be changing it for something a bit more fruity??

Learning experience?? I've been doing this stuff all my adult life mate!!

I love mould making. Having said that, this kit would probably fit a moped better than it does my car!!

The front spoiler fits very well, the rear diffuser is junk. Let's hope the front wings are a better fit, but having seen the only RB in the country, I think I'll have my hands full

Sorry James,

I didn't read the last part of your post....

I plan to keep the car white, but not pearlescent. It will more than likely be Ford Diamond white, however I do like the Gramloghts blue scheme??

I will be painting her myself so really we can change our minds whenever we like.

Tonight I offered up the rear diffuser. OMG!!! The fit is awful!!!! Dan put some pics of his part fitted at my request. Mine is worse!! I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

Let's just say, it's going to end up being rebuilt in at least three sections just to make the mould.

Wow nige! What an inspiration! Loving your craftsmanship and engineering excellence! I would say jack of all trades but you seem to be the master of all ;)

So, for someone inexperienced with Fibre etc i guess you would recommend just buying the Genuine kit yeah?

I love the rivet look but man i saw a couple of photos of the bunny kit arches blended in and OMG that was lovely! pic attaches just to tease :P :P

What do you think?
post-1293-0-83331600-1432243836_thumb.jp

It does look very nice all blended in, but just think how easy it would be to replace a riveted panel, especially considering the fact I will have a full set of rocket bunny moulds soon

I meant a learning experience in regards to the Rocket Bunny kit Nige, not in general but never mind ;)

I had a close up look at Dan's diffuser at Japfest as he was parked next to me on the stand, I couldn't believe how much bodging you have to do to get it to sit snugly and securely at the rear of the car! His is the real diffuser too isn't it? I can't imagine the job you have on your hands with your unbranded kit!

It's those half arches that really annoy me! Why would you want to cover half a wheel and leave the rest exposed?!

Not only does it look wank but it'll through stones all down the side of your car

Still, impressive work Nige. Even if I'm not a fan of the kit

It's those half arches that really annoy me! Why would you want to cover half a wheel and leave the rest exposed?!

Not only does it look wank but it'll through stones all down the side of your car

Still, impressive work Nige. Even if I'm not a fan of the kit

In your opinion it looks wank, but to others it may not? Please consider this when passing an opinion on other peoples threads.

I meant a learning experience in regards to the Rocket Bunny kit Nige, not in general but never mind ;)

I had a close up look at Dan's diffuser at Japfest as he was parked next to me on the stand, I couldn't believe how much bodging you have to do to get it to sit snugly and securely at the rear of the car! His is the real diffuser too isn't it? I can't imagine the job you have on your hands with your unbranded kit!

I know what you meant James, no worries..

Dan's diffuser is from the same manufacturer as mine, only his is ten times better. At least his is straight across the top and fits in a few places. Mine is wavy and sags in the middle. It doesn't touch the bumper around the periphery at all and the "blades" at the rear lower arch are the wrong shape.

Diffuser.jpg

Diffuser%201.jpg

I just bought another 2.5 KG of filler, so we should see some light by the end of the weekend!!

On a lighter note.... see the bumper is cut out to accept the diffuser.. and no sheet metalwork behind it..

Together.jpg

Silly.jpg

Have you spoken to the supplier and if so what was said?

Yes Mark, I have spoken to them, and they offered to change the panels. I figure those panels will come from the same moulds, so I may as well stick with what I have.

I hope Dan is watching, because I'm currently putting together a step by step on modding the diffuser to fit.

Clearing mud?

Hey, you just gave me a good idea Lauren.. Rally Raid Rocket Bunny Racer!!

In reality, I think the half arches are totally cosmetic, other than the curved back of the front arch, which would relieve pressure in the front arch and aid cooling of the brakes, if the car was racing at Le Mans!!

So, you may remember the state of the Diffuser as supplied? If not, here's those two pics again..

Diffuser%201.jpg

Diffuser.jpg

Note how it is all wavy and sags in the middle. It also lacks in the fit around the edges of the black part of the bumper..

There's only one way around this.. major surgery...

So I started by removing the top of the aero section between the curved ends...

Diffuser%202.jpg

Diffuser%203.jpg

I then had to split the middle vertically as the whole thing was too curved on the horizontal plane and was pulling the bumper out of shape when screwed up.

Note also that the lower edge of the diffuser also had to be split open as it sags so much.

Diffuser%204.jpg

Here you can see I've screwed a couple of pieces of wood to the now floppy parts to hold them all together and flat..

Diffuser%205.jpg

Then covered the gaps and tied it all together with 3 layers of 300gsm mat.

Diffuser%206.jpg

Here it is fitted onto the car... so, we now have a straight underside of the top aerofoil and it doesn't distort the bumper when tightened.

Diffuser%207.jpg

Now we need to fill up the void where the top used to be, so the old top was cut into five sections and trimmed until it roughly fitted, ready for glassing into place.

Diffuser%209.jpg

Then with the use of some clamps and more glass and resin the parts are fixed into place..

Diffuser%2010.jpg

Then, when cured, it looks like this.. what a mess eh!!

Diffuser%2011.jpg

Note the massive gaps around the edges.. this is going to be sorted as well.. I wonder if it would have been quicker to carve a new one out of a tree trunk??