Nige's Wide Body Project

Thanks Mark. it's not so much attention to detail, as just trying to get it right!!

The wings have now been off and had the glass layers put behind them in the gaps, up to seven layers thick in places!!

I always start be trying to get the arch radius and flange width sorted first, and getting them identical side to side is not easy.

IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

I've cut these up so much, and added so much glass fibre to them they now weigh about 4KG each, bit fit the cars original wing perfectly.

Nige - have you released the original spot welds, extended the structural wing rigidity and bonded  these? Or is this merely 'bling'?

Spec K

As far as you're concerned Keith, it's Bling. The wings are not spot welded on, they bolt on. Also, they are not a structural part of the car.

To everyone else it's a way of covering the wide front track and even wider rear track, unless of course your name is Frederic Aasbo, then you widen the front track way beyond even these arches.

I have a confession to make here Guys.. due to the wind and rain,I have done NOTHING today on my project. This is the first day I can remember when I can actually make this claim.

I'm terribly sorry and I hope you can all forgive me. Normal service shall resume tomorrow.

NO NIGE!!! why are you doing this to us?! i have to go back to browsing those nasty websites that promise a hook up in your area! as i have nothing else to read ;( WE NEED CONTENT FROM YOU NIGE! PLEASE!!

you're forgiven for today haha, awesome projects nige! love your work! outstanding!

I have a confession to make here Guys.. due to the wind and rain,I have done NOTHING today on my project. This is the first day I can remember when I can actually make this claim.

I'm terribly sorry and I hope you can all forgive me. Normal service shall resume tomorrow.

that is completely unacceptable Nige, you should be banned for letting us down like this!

:D haha just kidding, everyone is allowed some time off every now and then, looking forwards to the next update

It's tommrrow today... We need widebody p0rn.. i mean updates... :) I think your car(s) have some fans here.

Well, as promised, I have been working on the car today. I don't have any pics to show because there's really nothing much to photograph.

Here's the problem. I need to fair the front wings into the little spats that go on the bumper. To do this I need to fit them to the bumper. To do this I need to cut the bumper to suit them. To do this the bumper needs to be fitted to the car. To do this the bumper needs to be cut around the location tabs under the front wings. To do this the little tabs need to be in place and the join line between spat and wing needs to sorted.....

So, tonight I have been sorting the little tabs and seam line out, very boring, but essential.

Phew. That was a mouthful.

Speak for yourself, i'm disappointed... I like to print the latest project pictures off and pin them to my teddies and take them to bed with me.

Sorry Rob,

I guess the Teddies will have to be naked tonight then!!

OK Guys, I have a little update for you, with pics...

Remember I said there are little tabs under the front ledge of the wings, well here they are.. obviously not attached to the mating part..

IMG_3377.jpg

They have been cut away as the front of the wing extensions were badly distorted on my kit.

And here's one attached to the wing extension.. note also all the glass inside the wing.

IMG_3378.jpg

Once blended in with, well, a lot of filler, we can see the face between wing extension and front spats is nice and smooth. Remember these are only bucks for taking a mould off..

IMG_3379.jpg

There are moulded plastic parts screwed to the wing in this area that hold the top edge of the bumper in place. Obviously these need to be trimmed now to allow the wing extension tabs to fit..

IMG_3380.jpg

Note the front of the clips remain intact to allow maximum location of the bumper. LH is untouched, RH is modified.

Also, the bumper needs to be trimmed to fit around the tab.

IMG_3381.jpg

Here we can see the bumper clipped into place, with the cut out sitting around the tab..

IMG_3382.jpg

This is how she stands tonight.

IMG_3383.jpg

Now I can get on with fitting the spats then blending it all in to achieve a smooth, symmetrical and even finish.. Easier said than done :D :D

Nige, have you had any thoughts on colour ?. candy apple green would be my preference

I'm really going out on a limb here Mark.. white all the way!!

We're finally getting somewhere now.

Just some pics tonight, the only words I have to say are that I'm knackered after doing this today.

IMG_3401.jpg

Here you can see just how much higher the arch is compared to the original behind it, not yet cut out to retain some rigidity for all this work..

RB%20FL%204.jpg

IMG_3403.jpg

Thanks for looking in, hope to have some more soon..

I feel I should put some words up just so you all know that I haven't given up on my project. I have literally been working on it every day and evening and trying my hardest to get the bloody arches smoothed out.

I am starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel now and am getting ready to start making moulds. This body kit will fit with no issues whatsoever!!