Nige's Wide Body Project

Even the Five-Axis kit i got of Smudge has been a pain. One of the skirts simply will not stick, that said, it's with the tape it came with. I plan on taking it back to be bonded on permanently to the car but I doubt this will be until after Japfest now, i'm far too busy.

Even the Five-Axis kit i got of Smudge has been a pain. One of the skirts simply will not stick, that said, it's with the tape it came with. I plan on taking it back to be bonded on permanently to the car but I doubt this will be until after Japfest now, i'm far too lazy

Edited for you mate ;)

Why didn't you just buy the original kit, from Rocket Bunny if that's what you wanted?

It won't be a Rocket Bunny kit and all you're doing is lining the pockets of those making fake copies. I just don't get it. You've put a huge amount of effort into your car and you're prepared some put a fake kit on it?

The problem here is obvious.. Knight Racer have taken a mould off the original kit, which is inherintly floppy. They've then made their panels thicker so they won't flex like the priginals, hence they are a nightmare to fit.

When I get round to it I'll make my own moulds and use these panels as my Bucks. My panels will be thin, light and will fit!! We need to think of a name for my parts, as I don't want to call them "Rocket Bunny", they clearly aren't..

Because the RB kit is $5000, then you have to figure in postage, import duty and VAT, making it £5000. At the end of all this you end up with a few bits of Fibreglass that arent the best quality apparently.

I'd rather put my £000's into mechanicals...

Having said that Lauren.. you do make a good point there...

Grrr... all this chat, chat, rabbit, rabbit about 'bling'... what next, chromed nipples? The only 'Rocket Bunny' worth talking about is a high speed sanitiser in the ladies toilet...

Am I still in the same Forum or have I regressed to a past life..?

If you want to strut your stuff go to Spearmint Rhino..

Golden rule number one - if it's made to make your thing look pretty it's a waste of money.

Golden rule number two - if in doubt refer to rule one.

<Grumpy from Lunnun>  :blink: :blink: :ph34r:

Golden rule number one - if it's made to make your thing look pretty it's a waste of money.

Whilst the rocket bunny is mostly for bling. It'll also help cover up the insanely wide wheels that will need to go on it I imagine? 

It's strange, I've never liked body kits, any of them, but it seems all the Rocket Bunny kits are pleasing to my eye.

If you remember, this was my plan from the outset. I tried to save some money by buying a copy of the kit which cost 15% of the genuine kit price. Add this to the fact I have made many moulds and panels in my time and you may understand why I took the risk. As it turns out the kit ive bought will need to be cut up, filled and refitted for the purpose of making new moulds.

I kinda wish I'd spent the £5000 now but when you consider this would buy a full turbo kit and exhaust things look a little different!!

Golden rule number two - if in doubt refer to rule one.

<Grumpy from Lunnun>  :blink: :blink: :ph34r:

Does that include bonnet stripes? ;)

I've been quiet here, not because I haven't been busy, but because I really don't have much to show for endless hours of work!!

Stripping seam sealer, cutting out the spare wheel well and turning the joke of a body kit I have into a buck to take moulds off.

Hopefully I'll have some pics worth looking at soon??

As promised, here is a little snippet of what I've been up to.. I feel a lot of the threads in this section fall into the bling category, so hopefully Keith won't mind me putting this here?

I thought I'd start by showing a picture of the right rear wing in position. Bear in mind this is clamped to the rear with a g clamp and pulled onto the wheel arch and clamped at the front.. Looks great doesn't it!!

RB%20RR.jpg

RB%20RR1.jpg

So, off to work I go.. first of all, I marked out and filled in the voids at the back with fibreglass so the whole panel will sit against the car with no big gaps.. I had to cut the panel in half around the fuel filler just to get something like a fit around the hole.. Note the bottom edge at the back, this should be curved..

RB%20RR2.jpg

Here's how they look from the rear, note the additional glass laid up at the lower rear sections...

RB%20Inner%20rears.jpg

So I could grind through the original panel to get the correct shape.

Now it's out with the filler...

RB%20RR4.jpg

And, after many more applications and much rubbing down and profiling, we have a finished buck, ready for a good thick coat of "Reface" and a final shaping and polish

RB%20RR5.jpg

RB%20RR6.jpg

I've started on the left.. which fits much better, but is no good as is. It takes all the strength I have to get the front and rear touching the body!!

IMG_3245.jpg

Same as the right side, marked out..

RB%20RL.jpg

Then ground back..

RB%20RL1.jpg

Once the left is done, settled and painted I shall make a pair of moulds so that I can make panels which actually fit!!

Oh, I nearly forgot.. I've been doing a little fabrication also..

No%20Boot%20Floor.jpg

Thanks for looking, I'll be back soon.

Would have loved to have helped you with this kit, years and years and years ago I used to finish large exterior plastic body parts for Bentley Renault and Vauxhall  (just thinking about it makes me itch).

I think I must be immune to the dust now Mark, or, as the saying goes.. no sense- no feeling!!

I'm out in the garage right now, rubbing filler and playing Sia on the stereo.. can of beer... heaven!!!

Thanks for the pics Dan. Yours is as bad a fit as mine, so I'll be making a new mould. I'll make you a replacement while I'm at it.

It won't be done immediately because it'll be a 3 piece mould.

Talk about going from bad to worse.. once I got the shell off the rotisserie and back onto the wooden frame to enable rear bumper fitment, I fitted the lower rear spats.

Guess what.. the main wing extensions were too narrow. So.. they had to be cut, clamped into place , glassed from behind and then filled and blended once again.

Here are some images..

IMG_3304.jpg

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg

Here we can see "me old write off" in the distance, ready for her VIC then she's back on the road...

IMG_3310.jpg

You'll notice there are no radii on the corners yet, I always put these on last just before a heavy coat of filler primer.

I'm looking forward to moving onto the front end, I think that will fit a LOT better??