Subota Boy

At last - remap approved

Insurance company have at last allowed a remap.  I have a cobra resonated with 2nd cat delete, and want to stay normally aspirated (for the time being).

The remap will make the most of the performance, and the car will feel better on power delivery, and I will say "wow" and be happy; but will another level of improvement be noticeable on top of that,  if I change the manifold (staying EL) with a sports cat (to stay legal).

Not sure whether a manifold change will be worth it in terms of how the car will feel.  Also, there is the extra noise to consider.

Any thoughts from those who have gone this route?

Thanks in anticipation.

Keith

UEL Manifolds tend to give better mid range torque and the EL manifolds tend to react better at the top end, however the differences are subtle and it mostly comes down to how you want your car to sound. UEL will obviously give the burble and the EL more of a shouty tone. 

I have a completely catless exhaust system with a UEL manifold, and whilst I haven't had my car mapped yet (Booked in for April) I can certainly feel the difference in terms of response, power and torque. The primary cat is extremely restrictive in the manifold in terms of flow so eradicating that allows you to maximise gains with a remap. 

With a catted front pipe or manifold installed you certainly will get rid of a lot of the rasp that comes with an EL setup and of course it will be quieter. I was shocked how much of a different the manifold made in terms of performance to be honest.

I'd say go for it, you will reap the rewards combined with a map ;)

Thanks Guys.

I love the sound of Mark's but somehow prefer the EL sound.  I have had 13 years of decatted boxer burble so am sated in that respect, and quite like the different edge to the EL.  Sounds like a manifold will improve things sufficiently that they will be noticeable.  Noise will be the deciding factor I think.  My Impreza was quite loud and I want something quieter with the GT - must be my age.

Kind offer Kevin.  You are not too far away!

Yeah I am yet to pass that stage unlike you guys! 

The reason I went UEL was that I thought I should make the most of the boxer engine tone, it is unique after all, just like a BMW straight 6. 

To be honest they sound a lot different to a scooby when giving it the beans in my opinion, at low revs it burbles and chugs away just like an Impreza, but at higher RPM it really screams in a rather unique way, and with no turbo to muffle sound you ride a massive wave of happiness all the way to 7400 rpm! 

Be sure to let us know how you get on with the map though fella :) 

You booked in for one yet?

Thanks Guys.

I love the sound of Mark's but somehow prefer the EL sound.  I have had 13 years of decatted boxer burble so am sated in that respect, and quite like the different edge to the EL.  Sounds like a manifold will improve things sufficiently that they will be noticeable.  Noise will be the deciding factor I think.  My Impreza was quite loud and I want something quieter with the GT - must be my age.

Kind offer Kevin.  You are not too far away!

No probs we could always meet half way and have a coffee etc... and talk cars  :)

Well I met up with Kevin today, and realising we have similar number plates!

His car is very well set-up and i was duly impressed!  Will the EL manifold be too noisy?  Well I don't think so, so there's just Julia to convince!  In the end it cost me another £7.34 per annum to insure a remap and manifold change, so no argument there!

Many thanks to Kevin for travelling to meet me half way at the Pot of Peas.  Was great to chat to you, Kev, and to get your valuable input! 

DSC09893_zpscv5lyvgj.jpg

Think maybe the decision era is harder than getting things done, I tend to ponder and research for ages but seeing things in the flesh always helps. Great that we have lots of options for the 86 and therefore allows a little bit of personalisation.

Booked in for a Tomei EL manifold, sports cat and remap at Fensport.  Not sure whether to bother with overpipe or not.  

Looks like I shall have a Cobra 2nd cat delete pipe for sale! 

Anything else I should consider?  I know that while I am there the wallet will be raided!

Great choice buddy! 

The Tomei looks awesome and it will sound pretty epic combined with the sports cat. 

To be honest, whilst the overpipe is not really an area you can gain a lot in regards to hp compared with the front pipe, the stock design is still pretty average and quite restrictive. As seen here: 

post-1091-0-11017800-1426629851_thumb.jp

It all depends on whether you think it is justified or not ;) 

What date are you booked in for? If it is late April I might bump into you as I am booked in for the 29th. 

I know I will probably get a few goodies whilst visiting, the temptation will be there! 

I found out when installing my custom over pipe too that they have even put an indent into the standard pipe (bottom half on the right hand side) so that there is a lot of clearance next to the steering column. 

My over pipe is wrapped in titanium which obviously makes it rather thick. When taking the stock pipe off and putting it on, I realised just how little room there is between the subframe and the steering column. I spent an incredible amount of time making it fit without rubbing and vibrating on the steering column. 

With the stock one, it looks like they had to compromise IMO and put that horrible indent into it so that it did not rub on the front subframe and steering column, I can't think why would do it otherwise? Only trouble is that ruins the exhaust flow somewhat so that is why I wanted to replace it. 

Difference between mine and the stock: 

post-1091-0-30318400-1426673378_thumb.jp

post-1091-0-69218400-1426673385_thumb.jp

I took a picture too to show how small the gap there is: 

post-1091-0-39200500-1426673458_thumb.jp

Ah not to worry, what else do you think you will get whilst there? 

I have a Miltek overpipe. Interestingly reports I've heard say that replacing the stock overpipe makes no difference even though it's got an indent in it! 

Why do you think they put the indent in it Lauren? Judging by how snug it is around there I thought it was because of room, but maybe it is for another reason? 

But yes the front pipe is where the gains are ;)