Lauren

Aero C Pillar fins

I remember seeing these when I was at 86 Style @Fuji last August:

20121009_ffce0b.jpg

Now, I talked with a Japanese friend of mine and these are meant apparently to break airflow when the car is sliding. I'm not sure I absolutely understand how they work or not. Also I've checked my TRD catalogue and they are not in there. Other's have said that it's a Toyota part. 

So my question is, can anybody shed any light on these, what they do, is it worth getting etc? 

I've already got the TRD aero fins of course. 

Aren't they part of the modellista kit you can get from Toyota over in Japan? In sure there are other little bits like this you can buy to go in other areas of the car.....my only thinking is that they point out sideways so when you are sliding sideways, they are cutting the air it is facing? No idea if it works or even if I'm right.

Modellista sorry, you can get them direct from Toyota.jp

http://toyota.jp/86/accessories/style/#

And this is what Google translate says:

Aero Stabilizer Rising fin

Place the Aero Stabilizer Rising FINS Were Fruition the Accumulated aerodynamic Technology in F1 in the Rear Pillar. And pressed the body from the left and right by Generating a Small Eddy in a stream, to Ensure the Steering Stability.

01-p01.jpg

Doesn't make much sense does it

After looking around the Japanese site, the ugly Style Cb version has ebony woodgrain interior dash panels instead of the fake carbon fibre wrap.....EBONY WOODGRAIN!!!!

carlineup_86_customize_cb_04_lb.png

Yeah, I got the impression it was something to do with breaking airflow which is apparently good when it comes to drifting or when the car is sliding. This is how it was explained to me by my Japanese friend. 

It might be that, depending on the angle of attack of the airflow, you are between separated and attached airflow when going sideways at different speeds/angles of attack. This would result in varying lift characteristics across the rear deck, which would result in varying feel from the rear when drifting... These would then work by ensuring that the airflow over the rear deck would always be separated, and hence, give a consistent feel at whatever speed you were drifting at...

Of course, it would depend on the speed of the airflow and you would have to be a hardcore drifting who spends hours drifting in all conditions to really notice the difference...

Tbh, you'd probably only notice a difference in "normal" driving when facing a severe cross-wind.

I don't think they're worth it, and I think they look bloody awful too!!

How do you clean the screen ? or does it keep it clean and keeps the moisture off as this would be of some benefit.

you take it off, if you look closely you can see some screw or the dreaded scrivets that hold it on so can be took off for cleaning

I'd suspect your rear screen needs cleaning a whole lot less, especially so if it doesn't get wet. I notice that the rear screen gets dirty quickly this time of year.