JamesP1991

New To The Forum - Colchester (Essex) Way

Hey guys,

New to the forum after spending a long time just watching from afar.

Have owned my 63 plate GT86 in Silver for over 8 months now, loved every minute of driving it. Bought it as an ex demo with 10k on the clock and have put 4k on it since driving it away from Toyota.

Reason for buying was, as a petrolhead, a fantastic driving car for a really low insurance premium, which is a huge bonus given my age still (23).

Done a few modifications so far: Have a Blitz LM Panel filter fitted which connects to a Blitz Suction Kit from the airbox (Polished aluminium intake pipework) the Blitz intake pipework also removed the horrible resonator boxes connected to the stock pipes.

Have an Invidia N1 Catback exhaust ,mated to a custom made decat front pipe, custom made overpipe and also TEIN 25mm lowering springs.

Getting Japan Racing JR3 wheels fitted on Friday morning as I have a day off work and in the evening having the Borla UEL header fitted (she is going to sound awesome).

Next on my list is an Ecutek remap from Adrian at Fensport in the summer which will help bring out the advantages of the header, and a full stoptech brake kit.

Will upload pictures when I have everything fitted on Friday to give a proper perspective of the car :)

If you see me out and about around the Colchester area be sure to give me a wave and a flash (or say hello), and am looking forward to getting stuck in, in the forums from now on!

Regards

James P

Welcome to the club James! You'll be in good hands with Adrian and the remap with do wonders for you, more pick up, bit more power, more torque mid range thus minimising the torque dip at 4k, some lil toys such as rev matching (if you can't toe heel), launch control and flat foot shifting. And as an extra lil bonus, better fuel economy.

Hi everyone, huge thanks for the warm welcome! Glad to finally join such an awesome community dedicated to such an awesome car!

In regards to trackdays and events, I'd love to do at least a couple in 2015! I fancy a trip to donnington at some point in the summer but will probably need to put my cats back in to avoid getting stung on the noise restrictions, I'm also saving up for some conti sport 5's so will probably look to bolt them on before I hit the track!

Shows wise, I've never looked into them and done my research! Are there any that a lot of members are going to in the next 2-3 months? Be great to meet up with a few of you guys on here and look at your cars and how you've personalised them!

In regards to Fensport, I've spoke with Adrian before and he's so knowledgable! Thankfully my heel and toe technique is quite good (lots of practice and pedals are well placed in the 86) so what I'd most be looking forward to is that launch control and flat foot shifting map!

My aim was always to get the header first then the remap to fully eradicate that annoying torque dip around the 4k mark! Anyone able to share their experiences in terms of torque and power gains with a full exhaust system and a header fitted?

Was a great evening tonight as the postie arrived and left these (attached)

post-1091-0-71306600-1423079574_thumb.jp

post-1091-0-75018300-1423079598_thumb.jp

Hi James

Good to see another guy in this neck of the woods... the only way is Essex !!  Har har....

Get your name down for TSS at Snetterton, 29th March. Nice easy intro to your local track with a sprint, great bunch of guys (apart fom the other GT86ers, who are nutters of course..). See the 2015 TSS thread on 'Events'.

You should have no problem at Donington with noise but if you're concerned there's a mobile phone app,  I'm told... or get Adrian to measure it when you're up there..

Meet up soon.

Spec K

Hi Special K,

I know us Essex folk have quite a reputation these days.. that show hasn't done us any favours!

I will have a look at the thread in the events category, only potential problem maybe the date (29th) as that weekend I am doing an enduro kart event at Rye House, but will double check in my diary :)

Okay that's quite good reassurance wise, as with the Borla header fitted on Friday I will have officially no cats left on the car! I will try and sniff out the app on the App Store this evening then, be good to measure it!

Do you have any other events planned other than the TSS at snetterton?

Show wise we will be going to Japfest as our first one for the year, see here: http://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/topic/2205-japfest-saturday-16th-may-2015/

We will be going to JAE again as well this year, been twice, won the best stand twice joint with IMOC which isn't bad going if I do say so myself :)

Wouldn't be me James, mine is either being built or shipped at the moment. I'll be out and about lots once it's here!

Got some nice bits already I see :)

The only thing I would say is that if you are going on track you must get your car within a reasonable noise level or you just won't be able to go out pretty much anywhere. Aiming for 95db at 0.5m @45 deg away from the exhaust tip is a safe bet. 

Show wise we will be going to Japfest as our first one for the year, see here: http://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/topic/2205-japfest-saturday-16th-may-2015/

We will be going to JAE again as well this year, been twice, won the best stand twice joint with IMOC which isn't bad going if I do say so myself :)

That is great going to be honest Rob. I incidentally was speaking with Chris from Tarmac in regards to Japfest, and he told me that I should probably go along, will take a look at the thread in the forum and look to buy a ticket, however it will not be until next months pay day if that is okay RE availability?

In regards to accommodation, is everyone driving down the night before and then waking up early? Is anyone staying the night after Japfest too? Given I am in Essex I probably would want to drive down the night before and chill out rather than rush around in the morning. 

The only thing I would say is that if you are going on track you must get your car within a reasonable noise level or you just won't be able to go out pretty much anywhere. Aiming for 95db at 0.5m @45 deg away from the exhaust tip is a safe bet. 

Yes to be honest Lauren what I will do is put the stock front pipe back on for any track days but keep the uncatted header on, should be enough that way, and if not, I have silencers for my N1 catback that I can put in any way. 

Hi James and welcome to the forum.

Looks like some nice mods planned there mate..

See you on track soon by the sounds of it!

Youll love the car on track, it needs it to bring out its full potential. It's where they belong!

Enjoy

John

Hi James and welcome to the forum.

Looks like some nice mods planned there mate..

See you on track soon by the sounds of it!

Youll love the car on track, it needs it to bring out its full potential. It's where they belong!

Enjoy

John

Hi John, 

Yes a few mods have been done and a few more are in the pipeline, just going to be a rolling project really. 

I plan to do Donnington at least once this year hopefully, and the guys have persuaded me to do Japfest, are you attending?

Hi James. Welcome.

I'm looking forward to seeing your GT in the flesh. Shame you missed the Essex Mini-Meet on Sunday.

Cheers

Hi Musketeer, many thanks for your kind welcome! 

Yes I joined the forum just a bit too late to properly organise myself and get down there! 

When do you think the next one will be? Be great to meet other GT's and compare the direction people have taken them in regards to personalisation. 

So fitted the new bits at the weekend! 

The wheels look incredible and I am so chuffed with how the car looks now! TEIN springs have settled now and the car is a lot more "squat" in it's appearance. 

Header went on a breeze and the UEL rumble is a very pleasant addition to the car! Went to Upminster on Satuday and did a motorway run. Even with no cats attached the car's drone was not actually too bad and I cruised along at 75 mph with the noise very bearable. 

Will open up a proper build thread this week showcasing all the bits I have done so far

Here are a few pics anyhow: 

Borla Header in box ready to be fitted: 

post-1091-0-18790500-1423665667_thumb.jp

Action shot of my car on the lift: 

post-1091-0-10521800-1423665735_thumb.jp

Various pictures of the wheels fitted: 

post-1091-0-66927100-1423665783_thumb.jp

post-1091-0-37101500-1423665794_thumb.jp

post-1091-0-89017700-1423665808_thumb.jp

So thats what a Silver looks like without the dirt !

Alec

Don't be fooled Alec! Its only because I treated her to a wash after fitting the new parts, it's a rare occasion with the weather the way it is at the moment!