Twigman

If I get another GT86....

If i get another GT86 in the same colour and same spec as the one that got stolen and I register it with he same reg (was a private plate)...am i going to get a whole world of grief because it's on the anpr pinger?

I've made so much noise on the interweb and the pics been posted all over I am beginning to wonder whether that was really such a good idea and if I get the same again then I fear what might happen.

Word has obviously got out there as the dealer I went to yesterday already knew my car had been stolen before I told them....

So if I get my plate back and stick it on a replacement 86 of the same colour am I asking for a whole world of grief?

Not interested in the yellow (thief magnet??) or the orange (never liked it)......I still like grey best but am now concerned that I will get pulled all the time

Not interested in the yellow (thief magnet??) or the orange (never liked it)......I still like grey best but am now concerned that I will get pulled all the time

Surely you can withdraw your crime when you get the number plate and car and they can remove it off the ANPR system. Lets be fair once you have the new car you aren't going to worry where the old one is, the likelihood of seeing it is very slim in reality.

Surely you can withdraw your crime when you get the number plate and car and they can remove it off the ANPR system. Lets be fair once you have the new car you aren't going to worry where the old one is, the likelihood of seeing it is very slim in reality.

It could be amusing if the other one is still running around..and it drives through cameras at like 120mph or something...

Apart for your 1 I have never seen the same colour was there many sold in UK?

yes you have Nick - carla used to have one before she went ginger

talking of new 86's I happened to have a look on drive the deal last night to get an idea of current best dealer discounts and realised you can get a new one for a tad over £20k. Jeez I thought, that's a great price for such a fun car, and I must admit I got very tempted to buy one until I remembered I have one already  :D

talking of new 86's I happened to have a look on drive the deal last night to get an idea of current best dealer discounts and realised you can get a new one for a tad over £20k. Jeez I thought, that's a great price for such a fun car, and I must admit I got very tempted to buy one until I remembered I have one already  :D

Is that the Primo?

As long as the registration plate of your stolen car is registered as stolen, I don't see how you can use it on another car.  ANPR purely looks at the number plate, not the VIN.

it's a private plate. I have been told I can reclaim it and stick it on another car.

I assume DVLA will issue the stolen car a dummy plate and that is the one they'll register stolen.

It's just I've fired the pic all over the internet...so now that car will be widely recognisable

It's going to take a while:

http://www.platemaster.com/general_faqs.asp?question=11#question

If my vehicle is stolen and not recovered, what happens to my personal registration?

Provided you follow the correct procedure you will not lose the rights to the personalised registration number. If your vehicle was stolen, the DVLA will accept an application to have the registration mark reassigned to your replacement vehicle on condition that the theft was reported to the police and that the DVLA have recorded the vehicle as not recovered for at least twelve months. Further, the vehicle must have been taxed (or be tax exempt) and have had a valid MOT at the time of the theft.

Additionally, you will also need to supply the DVLA with a letter from your insurers confirming that they do not object to the registration mark being reassigned for the simple reason that if the vehicle is recovered after the claim is settled, your insurers assume the legal rights to the vehicle and therefore its current registration mark.

TIP: It's probably a good idea draw the attention of your insurers to the fact that your vehicle has been assigned a cherished registration. You must ensure that they are conscious of your intension to retain your registration mark in the event that your vehicle is stolen (or for that matter “written off” or scrapped). Just to clarify, once a claim has been settled, the insurers can sell on the vehicle for salvage so if your cherished registration had not been retained, you could loose all rights to it.

https://www.gov.uk/what-to-do-if-your-vehicle-has-been-stolen

Personalised registration numbers

If you had a personalised registration number, you can normally reclaim it and retain or transfer it to another vehicle if the original vehicle has still not been found after 12 months. You will need to meet certain requirements:

• you must have told the police
  • the theft must have been on DVLA records for at least 12 months (the police should tell DVLA for you)
  • the vehicle must have had a valid MOT certificate when it was stolen
  • the vehicle must have had up to date vehicle tax when it was stolen
  • your insurers must provide a letter for DVLA saying they are happy with the number being re-issued

You must then write a letter to DVLA Personalised Registrations including your name, address and the vehicle registration number.

If your vehicle is recovered and you or your insurer decide to sell or destroy it, you’ll need to apply to keep or transfer your registration number using form V317 before the vehicle is disposed of.

To apply to keep or transfer your registration number or for further information, write with your registration number to:

DVLA Personalised Registrations
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1DS

That's not too bad really though, means you'll be on the new cars stock plate for a while then once 12 months elapse can bring your personal one back over. By which time the fact your car now matches the stolen one isn't going to be such a big issue.

Also, very glad that you're considering getting another GT rather than anything else :)

I'm guessing hope is fading of getting your one recovered?

This happened to my dad a few years ago and he did actually get pulled over twice. He works as a chauffeur so it wasn't particularly good for work. They did their roadside checks and he was on his way but you need to bear in mind that even if 12 months have elapsed the police may still have the reg in their system.

I know that some of you may think it a waste of money... but a vehicle 'tracker' is a must-have for me...

I've got a Cobra unit in my car.  I keep forgetting to tell them to put it into 'garage mode' when I take it up to Fensport/Toyo dealer for a bit of work - as soon as it's hoisted on their ramp I get a call asking if it's been knicked...  very reassuring..

Spec K

Keith how much are these tracker systems as I have never really herd of them but definitely seems worth the investment

They range from £400-800 ish and you pay an annual subscription normally. They have GPS in them and emit a frequency at close proximity for the police to track it down.

I've been considering one myself

I know that some of you may think it a waste of money... but a vehicle 'tracker' is a must-have for me...

I've got a Cobra unit in my car. I keep forgetting to tell them to put it into 'garage mode' when I take it up to Fensport/Toyo dealer for a bit of work - as soon as it's hoisted on their ramp I get a call asking if it's been knicked... very reassuring..

Spec K

I've been looking around at Trackers and such like.

There's that many times in the year the car will be parked in unsecured hotel car parks (Premier Inn let's face it).

Agreed some form of vehicle tracking is a must.

Especially as my car might attract more attention this year than it has previously.... ;-)

Will check out Cobra... no false alarms or problems Keith? Apart from occasional bouts of amnesia :-)

Haversack

I trawled the market... Cobra seemed the best vfm for my needs.

And I have 0% false alarms - that weren't self-inflicted..

Rob - I don't think it's £400 for the car device if you steer clear of your venal Toyo dealer -  an accredited Cobra fitter (in Southend) fitted mine for £200, I think it was.. mind you that was 2 years ago.. I've got his contact details if anyone wants it...? 

(Hmmmm.... mebbe a 'group purchase'??)

My annual renewal was £160 gross  I think... that's without screwing your car insurer for a discount...

Cobra can be contacted on  0844 239 0032 (that's admin, not 24hr security)

Spec K