Twigman

If I get another GT86....

I trawled the market... Cobra seemed the best vfm for my needs.

And I have 0% false alarms - that weren't self-inflicted..

Rob - I don't think it's £400 for the car device if you steer clear of your venal Toyo dealer -  an accredited Cobra fitter (in Southend) fitted mine for £200, I think it was.. mind you that was 2 years ago.. I've got his contact details if anyone wants it...? 

(Hmmmm.... mebbe a 'group purchase'??)

My annual renewal was £160 gross  I think... that's without screwing your car insurer for a discount...

Cobra can be contacted on  0844 239 0032 (that's admin, not 24hr security)

Spec K

Depends what device you get, if you get a Cat 5 tracker they are a substantial amount more than a Cat 6 due to the extra security they provide. What Cobra tracker did you have? I assume you don't have an extra security key or the ability to track your car online for that price?

Yesterday, when talking to my insurance people the chap was telling me how trackers aren't all they're cracked up to be and car thieves these days know how to identify and remove trackers. He was telling me of a cutomer who had 7 (seven) trackers fitted to his Range Rover simultaneously. The thief removed 6 of them during the theft. Luckily the 7th was not discovered and did its job.

doesn't the tracker drain the battery fairly quickly though? I had a roommate at uni with a blobeye Impreza and the tracker would drain the battery in less than 3 days, it was soon removed because of it

Depends what device you get, if you get a Cat 5 tracker they are a substantial amount more than a Cat 6 due to the extra security they provide. What Cobra tracker did you have? I assume you don't have an extra security key or the ability to track your car online for that price?

I don't have the facility to track it online and I don't have an extra security key, so mine must be a Cat 6, Rob.

Twigman - the way/places the tracker units are fitted makes locating/removing 6 a whole days work! Mine is buried in the chassis but I don't know exactly where, it took Andy four hours to fit it, hence the £200-odd.. if I was a car thief and could identify a tracked car I would look for one without, rather than try and nick one with...

As for identifying which cars are fitted with them I don't know how they do that. The units are asleep, emitting no signals, until woken by a coded transmission from the security firm. Mind you, it's a bit of a giveaway if you put a sticker in the window..

Tareim - I've had no problem with battery life at all that can be attributed to the tracker. There have been reports that the GT86 as standard has a limited battery life but I think that's down to the onboard alarm. 

Spec K

Do they not emit a signal to phone home all the time?

There was a programme on TV about the high end cars and their trackers which basically said thieves nowadays just carry signal jammers that plug in to the 12v socket and don't bother about trackers anymore.

IMO trackers are like locking your doors/windows when you're out... it'll stop the common thief but won't stop the professional / determined ones