Subota Boy

Helmets and headrests

I used to, but after seeing my video I decided for the next track day to leave it forward and didnt have an issue.

I find if I am sat in the car not moving I feel the helmet touching the headrest - when driving though I personally have no issue.

All I do is adjust the Backrest from my normal driving position :)

You're meant to have the backrest as straight up as possible unless you don't want a spine left in a crash.

You're meant to have the backrest as straight up as possible unless you don't want a spine left in a crash.

As possible is the key here...I think you'd have to be Frodo's height to sit with the seat upright and a helmet on!

Interesting point, Rob.

I am not sure I agree with it as a 'rule of thumb', it is the angle of the seat squab which should determine the angle of the back rest - if you have the front lip higher to support the backs of your thighs the back rest should be canted backwards.

The optimum position for homo sapiens to absorb spinal shock is in a straight line, not bent at 90 degrees. This, of course, is a result of evolution, our skeletal development and all that...

Our love affair with the horseless carriage (and powered flight) demands that we can see the way forward yet are able to manage both foot- and hand-controls as originally defined by Henry Ford. As our eyeballs are in fixed sockets rather than flexible stalks we have to adopt a contortion which is unique in the animal kingdom and has led to the global introduction of .... yes, you've got it... the 'seat belt'.

Some say the optimum driving position is supine  and, if you review custom designed horseless carriages, (and particularly those that conduct themselves at outrageous velocity) one can perceive that the laying-down position is preferred for a variety of reasons, including safety.  This requires the iniquitous, invasive and uncomfortable addition of... aaargh, the 'crotch straps'.... to minimise continued progress of our fragile structure should our chosen projectile suddenly decelerate.

Hence the addition, to mitigate our predilection for sitting upright and for a deforming structure to impinge upon our theoretical safety zone, of the 'airbag'.

Discuss...

Spec K

Tried reversing the headrest in mine on track with the helmet on and found it offers zero support with it reversed, so put it back the normal way round

Alec

Interesting point, Rob.

I am not sure I agree with it as a 'rule of thumb', it is the angle of the seat squab which should determine the angle of the back rest - if you have the front lip higher to support the backs of your thighs the back rest should be canted backwards.

The optimum position for homo sapiens to absorb spinal shock is in a straight line, not bent at 90 degrees. This, of course, is a result of evolution, our skeletal development and all that...

Our love affair with the horseless carriage (and powered flight) demands that we can see the way forward yet are able to manage both foot- and hand-controls as originally defined by Henry Ford. As our eyeballs are in fixed sockets rather than flexible stalks we have to adopt a contortion which is unique in the animal kingdom and has led to the global introduction of .... yes, you've got it... the 'seat belt'.

Some say the optimum driving position is supine  and, if you review custom designed horseless carriages, (and particularly those that conduct themselves at outrageous velocity) one can perceive that the laying-down position is preferred for a variety of reasons, including safety.  This requires the iniquitous, invasive and uncomfortable addition of... aaargh, the 'crotch straps'.... to minimise continued progress of our fragile structure should our chosen projectile suddenly decelerate.

Hence the addition, to mitigate our predilection for sitting upright and for a deforming structure to impinge upon our theoretical safety zone, of the 'airbag'.

Discuss...

Spec K

You are both right and wrong, the driving position is dependent on the car, for our car i'd argue that the correct position is the upright position. I don't think you should be comparing our position to horseless carriages quite frankly. Look at the vast array of Motorsport seats on offer, the majority being fairly upright. Though it's all down to opinion.