Lauren

Norfolk Police guidelines on vehicle legality.

Makes quite an interesting read:

http://www.norfolk.police.uk/safetyadvice/roadsafety/advicetoroadusers/howlegalisyourvehicle.aspx

For example, exhausts: 

Exhausts:

• The vast majority of large or big bore exhausts are illegal for use on public roads. The fact they may have passed an MOT test is irrelevant as this only checks for exhaust gasses and emission legislation compliance.
  • Big bore and sports exhaust systems are usually fitted to increase the sound emitted and this contravenes the Type Approval of the vehicle, which is an offence. There is no requirement for a police officer to measure the sound level from the exhaust system, it only requires an opinion that the system is not standard and that it is noisier than a normal vehicle of the same specification.
  • It is not an offence to sell these exhaust systems, but it is an offence to fit one to your vehicle and drive it on a public road. Motorists who do so could be reported to court and may face a fine and court costs.

Now, I've never heard of this being applied. In some ways it would be better to simply set a measurable sound level. Some exhausts are bloody annoying being stupidly loud. After all there a lot of cars out there that wouldn't pass circuit noise tests. 

Also stretched tyres:

Tyres

• Stretch tyres are becoming more popular as the craze from Europe hits the United Kingdom. Fitting this type of tyre to your car is illegal and could adversely compromise the handling of your vehicle. The fitting of this type of tyre contravenes the Type Approval of the vehicle and renders it not fit for purpose as well as potentially invalidating your insurance. This could lead to a prosecution of dangerous condition of vehicle, namely Sec 40A of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and is subject to a £100 Fixed Penalty Notice and three penalty points endorsed onto your driving licence or being reported to Court.
  •  

Now, with no specification given, it's fairly meaningless. It's also not a type of tyre it is simply how it is fitted in relation to tyre and rim width. Now, I like having a little bit of stretch on my tyres. But, I looked into it and it's not outside specs, so would showing a link to a website be enough to quell concerns, I do wonder. Seems like this would be hard to enforce, though I guess anything too extreme is asking for trouble really. 

Here's one I really wish was enforced! 

• Fog lights - For vehicles fitted with front fog lights (rear fog lights are also included), it is an offence to illuminate them unless visibility is seriously reduced, which is defined as driving rain, snow or fog with visibility less than 100 metres. Fog lights cause dazzle to other drivers and can attract a £50 non endorsable Fixed Penalty Notice.

Interesting, but it seems like a 10 year old has written these "clauses" as they bare no substance with nothing to gauge against.... Like you say, they need to be specific with sound levels as there are some cars from production far louder than my car is currently. Ok, perhaps they may be super cars, but the law should be the same for all, if what we are talking about here is noise pollution. 

With regards to stretch, it's still yet to be proven that it is a safety risk. Obviously I think common sense will prevail with these things. 

But it's from Norfolk police so go figure Lauren :D

I personally think the police should be more concerned about the exhausts fitted to mopeds these days. Surely they are mega illegal according to the snippet above?

As for stretch, I would have thought the tyre manufacturer would give a max and min width of rim for the tyre in question? If the driver of the vehicle has wheels outside of these specs, surely he/she is risking his/her insurance coverage in the event of an accident?

As for Fog lights.. DONT GET ME STARTED!!!!!!! Argggghhhhhh!!!! Nearly as bad as middle lane hoggers!!!!

So are all the extras on police vehicles type approved ? I doubt it they will have just been well fitted like the stuff on our cars. I spent 5 years driving a car with the wrong axle in it a engineers report carried out by my then insurance company was enough what about all the trucks that have had aftermarket exhausts fitted ? at work we have a ATF and I have never seen VOSA fail 1 of these exhausts mounted to a truck

I've been pulled over by Norfolk Police for a random check.... About a month after my new exhaust was fitted! Very very loud at the time! 

They didn't do any checks. Got more carried away with asking about the car. I told them the exhaust was new and gave some details about it. They seemed absolutely fine. Didn't care! 

There is always a meet up Yarmouth on a Sunday with all sorts of exhausts and tyre setups. Nobody gets pulled over for just having an exhaust or stretched tyres. The only real time people get pulled over is if it's obvious they're being idiots or genuinely have an unsafe car. 

In the bike world exhausts have been an issue for years and years.

The only thing IME that police get shitty about are dodgy numberplates. (too small/wrong typeface/wrong spacing.

I do know of 1 instance where someone got a defect correction notice because their exhaust can had 'Not for highway use' stamped on it.

Did not know that about exhausts, I always thought it was just emissions unless it's stupidly loud e.g literally just straight pipe or something.

No comment on the fog lights lol

"as the craze from Europe hits the United Kingdom."

I though the UK was in Europe. I knew you didn't need any qualifications to be in the Force but that is pushing the boundaries a bit...

my previous car had an advisory on the mot for noisy exhaust :D it was the first back box I could find lying around the garage to pass the mot, bloody annoying to drive with it though