Mike

Learner driver question!

From the outcome of a random discussion about the difference between road / car laws in the UK and the US, I ended up the UK Gov site for learner drivers and discovered something to which I shall now ask you all (no cheating)!

There's a car in front with L plates on, you go past the de-restricted speed limit sign on a dual carriage way, what's the speed limit for the car with the learner plates on?

Depends on whether there is a central reservation or not too. So it could be 60mph or 70mph (with a central reservation). I don't know what the answer is for a learner though. 

As per Lauren, as far as I know they follow the highway code as with any other driver. bare in mind they should always be supervised we could say it's at the discretion of the supervisor. But i'm only saying that as it seems like you've found something out of the norm..

Head -> desk.

Turns out we ended up on the section for northern ireland which is different to mainland GB which explains why no one knew about the supposed limit :P

For anyone interested, in NI it's 45mph regardless of who is driving, the limiting factor is L plates on the car.

Nothing to see here now... moving on :D

At least we're planning to dismiss the biggest L plate timewaster ever invented - the three-point turn...

I'm sure the UK could cut its fuel consumption bill by 25% if Learners were made to learn between 1.00am and 5.00am...

Spec K

One of the major flaws of learning to drive in the UK is no high speed driving i.e. 70mph on a motorway

I'm lucky to live by the A3 which goes from 50 t 70 for a good 20 miles so I got some valuable lessons in

But this lack of teaching shows on the motorway every single day! How do you let someone who has just passed their test go on the busiest and fastest type of road in the UK without any tuition?! MADNESS!

I even know some people who are mid 20's and NEVER been on a motorway because it scares them!!!

A lot of my mates were like that, they were scared as it's not like you can simply come off if you get a panic attack lol. I will admit even though I had some dual carriageway experience in my driving lessons my first time on the motorway was a bit concerning but I soon figured that I seemed to be the only one who knew how to drive on it properly despite me having never been on it...

During my lessons, I went on our local dual carriageway which is actually 3 lanes so it feels like a motorway, but even with the instructor, we could only do 60......purely because he feared his sign on the roof would fly off

The first time on my own on this same carriageway, it was very early in the morning, sat nav on the windscreen decided to fall off and I silly enough to try and reach for it, almost drifted into a truck.

Speaking of trucks, anyone notice how truck seem to be ignoring the 50 zones along motorways where's there's road works? I'm sat there cruising at about 54 and these trucks are probably still doing 60 past me....do these average speed cameras not work on trucks or something? Anyone else notice this?

The first thing I did when I past my test was go on the motorway.Couldnt wait to go on the "fast road".

It's funny because now I try and avoid them and search out the bendy A roads.

First thing I did too was go on the motorway and max out my Golf GLS at a heady 105mph on the speedo!

In all seriousness though motorways are the safest roads. I think a compulsory post test requirement should be X amount of hours motorway driving tuition.

Speaking of trucks, anyone notice how truck seem to be ignoring the 50 zones along motorways where's there's road works? I'm sat there cruising at about 54 and these trucks are probably still doing 60 past me....do these average speed cameras not work on trucks or something? Anyone else notice this?

They probably know where the cameras are and may be stopping between cameras or coming off at a junction before the next one etc.

Speaking of the average speed cameras, I've noticed only certain ones have a set of floodlights about 10m before them pointing across the road but slightly towards oncoming traffic. Assuming they're for lighting up number plates so the cameras can work, I'd say not all average cameras are in use.

They probably know where the cameras are and may be stopping between cameras or coming off at a junction before the next one etc.

Speaking of the average speed cameras, I've noticed only certain ones have a set of floodlights about 10m before them pointing across the road but slightly towards oncoming traffic. Assuming they're for lighting up number plates so the cameras can work, I'd say not all average cameras are in use.

They use infrared so work in the dark and do not use a film (minimal running costs), they all work unless explicitly stated they are not in use. They also don't take an average between each other, they can take and average between any of them and any number as far as I am aware.

They use infrared so work in the dark and do not use a film (minimal running costs), they all work unless explicitly stated they are not in use. They also don't take an average between each other, they can take and average between any of them and any number as far as I am aware.

wtf are the floodlights for then except distracting you when you drive past them!

I've heard similar about the average thing but lets face it, most people do a constant speed through them all so the averages between any 2 are probably similar

wtf are the floodlights for then except distracting you when you drive past them!

I've heard similar about the average thing but lets face it, most people do a constant speed through them all so the averages between any 2 are probably similar

Have no idea, perhaps they were left over from road works? haha

I'd never rely on it tbh. Speeding ticket of 43mph when speedo said 44mph put me right off doing that :P

Thing is, I've gone past 2 of these "Your speed is" type signs both at 30 on the dot, one read 30, one read 27 so go figure!