Pitman

Plan for TSS 2015

After having thoroughly enjoyed my (extremely gentle, including stopping to check tire pressures halfway round, as per SpecK's advice) outing at the Croft round, I am currently hatching a cunning plan to do the whole series next year.

I have come to the conclusion that I will never do my GT86 justice through fear of damaging it (not wanting to join the Keith, Keith, Jay, Steve and Will club), this is what I am planning to do instead.

Yaris T Sports can now be bought for less than a grand, and properly set up, could be great fun in the D Street class.  At that cost, damage as the result of pushing it too hard will not be the end of the world (unlike if I had to do the same with my pride and joy '86), so for £ per thrill, it cannot be beaten.

What does the collective think?

Dave

Perhaps, but a Clio 172 RS is not a Toyota, so is not eligible for the TSS (I am not interested in Class X).  Apart from that, I would rather ride a bicycle than own a French car, and anyone who really knows me will tell you that there is a better chance of peace in the Middle East than me riding a bicycle bellyroll.gif

So, what are the suggestions for other Toyotas then?

MR2's are cheap and you will learn a lot, MK2s being the easiest option, plus they are worth nothing. Pete Mason pedals his round pretty well. Otherwise you're looking at ST205 Celica's which are okay if you sort the handling. You can compete with Richard too! 

Richard got his Celica for £500. MK2 MR2's are around the same money. 

I think that you should just consider doing it in the 86. To spend so much prepping your car for track work and to not really use it to it's full potential would be a real shame in my opinion.

Fear of damaging it is just a confidence thing and it will come in time, plus most the rounds have plenty of run off. Just keep it in sport mode you can still have fun Dave!

Rob, I hear you, and a very good reply  ;) .  The problem with my GT86 is that it has cost me a fortune, as much as for the fun of getting it to exactly the spec I want it to be, as to show what can be done with the GT86.  Nothing to stop me 'competing' with it in the future, I just need to get the practice in first with a car I can really learn to drive on track to its ultimate limits, without the financial worries of an off.  Unlike some of our fellow GT86 / BRZ brothers and sisters, I am into owning my GT86 for the long haul.

Lauren's suggestion of a Mk2 MR2 is a really good one  :D .  I think it is one of the nicest looking cars that Toyota have ever made.  Also, it will certainly get me up to speed in controlling a tail happy RWD car w00t.gif.  Lauren, realistically, how much do you think a decent (read rust free and at least relatively unmolested) Gen2 will cost me (ideally non T top)?  Also, with your long time MR2 involvement, where would be the best place to look for one?

Sounds like a great idea! 

I too have similar plans to buy something I can crash and not worry to much! Currently looking at a MR2 Mk1 myself. One that's already in the TSS and well known to Adrian. It competed in the TSS last year. 

But I totally understand what you're saying regarding crashing the GT86. I could never push my GT86 on track to be competitive in the class that i'd be in. 

Leading on from Lauren's suggestion, I have found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-1997-2-0-L-T-Bar-69000-miles-leather-interior-part-service-/171505913405?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

T bar, unfortunately, but it is a manual (seems that the majority are auto).

Jay, looks like the two of us could be having fun together next year! thumbup.gif burnrubber.gif

MK2 is the cheapest mainly because the MK2 is the worst MR2. Whatever you do, do not buy a Rev1. They are not good handling cars to start with and the Rev 1 will literally kill you. You really want a Rev3+ as it has the later 173bhp engine and better handling. The balance of the MK2 is poor, but you'll learn a lot about car control. To be quick in this car you'll really have to learn how to drive it. But it can be done, look at Pete as an example. 

The MK1 handles better but is slower. The MK3 is the best of all but you'll need to fit a roll cage which kind of rules it out really. All are cheap to buy, though the MK1 is a rust bucket and getting a bit too old now. 

Rev 3's are characterised by the round rear light clusters, but are always 93 onwards. 

Try the classifieds of my 'other' club: 

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/

Avoid big wheels. 15's will give the best handling. 

Tyres are a bit of an issue these days as they are staggered front to rear so it's not always easy finding a set of tyres for all four wheels IYSWIM. 

Update time!

Having had a look at the availability of MR2s, and having had a loooong chat with Adrian @ Fensport, my initial thought of a Yaris is the way forward :D.  By all accounts (and as suggested by Lauren above), the Mk2 MR2 (however nice it looks) is not the right vehicle for my purpose.

I really appreciate the suggestions re the MR2 option, but for what I want, and future upgradeability, the Yaris is definitely the right way to go.  As far as a Yaris being 'boring', I am sure that, if I ask her nicely, Faith will help me to develop the appropriate stickers B)

A lot can be learned in a Yaris. Go for it and after 1-2 years of beating it to death or making love with a wall, then try an SW20 which as a rear drive car (albeit with the engine behind) you can learn more about rwd driving which should gradually get you more and more comfortable with driving the ZN6 at speed.

I really appreciate the suggestions re the MR2 option, but for what I want, and future upgradeability, the Yaris is definitely the right way to go.  As far as a Yaris being 'boring', I am sure that, if I ask her nicely, Faith will help me to develop the appropriate stickers B)

Fair enough, I'm sure you can learn something from it, tedious car though. It will teach you FWD to a point but it's a different technique to RWD. 

Sounds like a great idea! 

I too have similar plans to buy something I can crash and not worry to much! Currently looking at a MR2 Mk1 myself. One that's already in the TSS and well known to Adrian. It competed in the TSS last year. 

But I totally understand what you're saying regarding crashing the GT86. I could never push my GT86 on track to be competitive in the class that i'd be in. 

I heard MR2  :P

Which one are you looking at Jay?

I heard MR2  :P

Which one are you looking at Jay?

I can't remember the guys name, he's the really nice guy who turns up to them all in a wheel chair. He's just bought a Supercharged Mk1. 

So looking at buying his Mk1 off him.  :)

Dave - very sorry to read that you are foregoing the TSS with your GT86... I was looking forward to some epic battles between us..

... still, I compliment you on staying with a Toyo for next year's series.. what about a Starlet?

Spec K