deanr201

HI!

New here, but just been lurking around various sites and groups gathering information.

Been a fan of the GT86 since launch have yet to purchase one; but considering it but still torn between a GT86 and a 370z; but urm yeah Hi!

Cheers for the welcome.

I test drove an 86 at the local dealership as soon as they got one in, and while fun I just wanted that extra bit of power; I would how ever say it was still such a fun ride that I doubt you could get in one and not get out with a smile

That's what forced induction is for :) the 370 is a nice car though. The 86 has been well taken in by tuners and there is so much stuff on offer for it you will be spoilt for choice

Welcome to the club! As mentioned in your other thread, you need to really give the 86 a good thrashing to really appreciate it and if power is your game, then you've got choices of force induction with a range of owners with different setups here. And it'll still be cheaper to run than the 370z. I've always heard that the 350/70z were the Japanese equivalent of muscle cars so great in straight lines and OK handling but when you really push it, it starts to fall over, but this is what I've heard, never driven one personally.

Cheers for the comments.

I have been looking around a little bit but havent fully committed yet; Not so much power numbers I'm looking for but I want same grin from the power being there when needed.

Hi Dean,

I too had similar dilemma but after driving both I found the GT more commutative and involving to drive. As others have said there are plenty of tuning options out there if more power is required.

I've not had mine long enough to say I need more power but I'm loving it as it is. However I had a Subaru STi with PPP so more power might be on the cards later.

Hi Dean,

I too had similar dilemma but after driving both I found the GT more commutative and involving to drive. As others have said there are plenty of tuning options out there if more power is required.

I've not had mine long enough to say I need more power but I'm loving it as it is. However I had a Subaru STi with PPP so more power might be on the cards later.

Well I have always been a fan of the Z's originally wanted a 350z for so long but its getting harder and harder to find "the one"; of course I love the 370z but there is still that something that the GT86/BRZ has that I just cant put my finger on and thats whats drawing me to them.

Still be a a good while before I join the club properly should I get one; hence sticking around here and taking a peak at some of the threads.

I think the 370z is from what I understand a bit of a 7/10ths car. If your driving is not really pushing the limits of the chassis it's a good choice providing you aren't too worried by fuel economy. 

I'd never consider a GTR personally. Its far too heavy! Rather a Lotus Evora or something along those lines....

I think Lauren hit the nail on the head. THe GT86 really shows how good it is whe nyou push the car to the limit and put many a hyper cars to shame in terms of feel and fun factor. Just have a read of last year Top Gear Speed week. They found the gt86 more fun than the likes of the porsches..... Autocar had the GT86 as "best handling car 2012" ahead of the Porsche Cayman S and Lotus Exige!!

Clarkson_on_GT86-highres.png

ZBp3m.jpg

20121024_122239.jpg

Hey Dean, 

I too had power concerns when taking the plunge with my GT86. My previous car was a Boxster S which needless to say was much quicker, especially with mid range performance, so I thought that this loss in power when changing would grate on me after a while. But I hasn't, in fact I could never go back! The drive and feel of the GT86 is addictive, and is by far the funnest car I've had. Take the plunge  ;)

If you're a real 'driver', by that I mean someone that really does want to extract every little last bit of performance out of the car and you love a really nice handling balance that is malleable, then the GT86 is for you. 

If your preference is for cruising around and traffic light GP's then I daresay something else might be a better option. 

Cheers for the response to every one!

Certainly the whole point of buying the car is to drive it and drive it the way it was made to be drove! Going to have to look and arrange to take one out for a proper drive I think. As from what every one has said thats where it really comes into its own.

The test drive is what did it for me Dean...

I was concerned about BHP but in reality once I'd blasted it down a twisty A road I was sold. Then on the return leg we came through some wide damp roundabouts and wow what fun and all at relatively safe speed.

Got back to dealer (Jemca in Bracknell) credit card out deal done.

Best of luck with Whatever you decide.

John

Hi, new here!! Loved the idea of this car since I saw the top gear review. Finally got my hands on an orange one two weeks ago and fallen in love with it already!!! Wife drives it all week, mine at weekends

Will try and post some pics in time, enjoying looking round the site for now though

Hi, new here!! Loved the idea of this car since I saw the top gear review. Finally got my hands on an orange one two weeks ago and fallen in love with it already!!! Wife drives it all week, mine at weekends

Will try and post some pics in time, enjoying looking round the site for now though

Welcome, but another Ginger one! damn whites are being outnumbered. Where about's in Kent are you? We should sort out another grasshopper meet soon and it shouldn't be a million miles from you if you fancy it.

Lol! Love the whites too!! I'm in Greatstone, right opposite the sea so regular washing and garaging a must!!

Off to brands hatch with mine on Sunday for the touring cars, will keep an eye out for others there as there's none round here!!!

Have to get the sticker though

I too had reservations about the power, having been used to a 700bhp race car and road cars with 400+ But I really love driving the 86, I enjoy balancing the car and using the throttle as it should be. Have a long drive on some roads you know and the 86 comes alive.

Lol! Love the whites too!! I'm in Greatstone, right opposite the sea so regular washing and garaging a must!!

Off to brands hatch with mine on Sunday for the touring cars, will keep an eye out for others there as there's none round here!!!

Have to get the sticker though

I'm probably going to be knackered Sunday otherwise i'd pop along and say hi, you can get stickers from the store http://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/store/

Hope to meet soon anyway.

Thanks to everyone for the welcomes and comments.

Hopefully will be joining the club properly in he near future, but for now I'll be sticking around until the deciding day comes when ever that may be!