Riceburner

TSS Round 5 Croft

Had a brilliant day at croft, managed to beat my 1.50 target (just) and go for a bit of a spin which I'm sure Alec will share the footage of at somepoint :)

Sometime in the distant future I may catch Lauren, Paul and Stan but think that's a long way off :/

Big thanks to Keith for lending me his jack to swap my wheels over :)

Now to decide whether to do rockingham or not :)

Blindingly quick circuit... and very daunting in some areas, with tyre walls 5 metres off the circuit and a lorra lorra trees... but a good crowd of competitors with Toyokid (Steve) plus son Jordan in attendance and Pitman (Dave) popping their track cherries.. and Chopper (Tim) turned up with a GT86 driving mate to watch proceedings..

Loads of GT86 spins... all without mishap..

... Alec decided that his days track practice on Saturday (at which he got told off for squealing his tyres too much, ha ha..) was incomplete without a tank-slapper.. then the cheeky so-and-so whips out his K&N filter, sticks a standard one in and drops down a class to N3... bloody trophy-hunter, he is... 

Adrian wasn't there, as Rita is on the verge of sprogging, (if not already a tad slimmer..), so the hugely helpful advice which he so willingly gives for free at every TSS round (but only to us GT86ers..) was missing... so no F1 competitors, nor N1..

Stan the Man was unbelievably quick following his days practice.... to get third  overall in an n/a GT86 certainly made some of the regulars sit up and take notice... Lauren was second in the N2 class and Paul was third..

Great to see Pitman out for the first time in his turbo car. Understandably taking it very easy in his pride and joy and being hyper-cautious... but even he managed a spin!! I too was taking it easy - both Alec and Stan kindly took me out on Saturday afternoon as a passenger (I didn't track on Saturday, worried I'd fail the noise limit..) but I managed to pip Dave for the F2 class win. Mebbe it was my advice to him - to brake at least 400 yards before each bend and don't forget your hand signals - which delayed his progress.. I'll let you guess what hand signals he was giving me...

There is one issue which potential GT86 trackies need to take note of and this was emphasised by Javelin. We GT86ers have to carefully watch our noise, as tracks are now getting hyper sensitive, not only with static noise testing but also on drive-by. Twice yesterday we had to stop proceedings as the sprint cars had exceeded the 102db limit. Some roadgoing aftermarket exhausts are too bloody loud - and places like Croft, Rockingham, even Snetterton - are unyielding when it comes to excessive noise..

Anyway, it was a really good day. My only issue was the 240-odd mile drive back yesterday evening... after a day enjoying top quality driving the journey home was agony - the A1/M11 was a chimpanzee's tea party and it took me four hours to get back..

They say you're as old as you feel. If that is so, can someone lend me a 19-y-o blonde bimbo who won't mind being groped by an old man..?

Spec K

You can't be too careful with tyre pressures, Dave...  is it not a sure sign of my 'be kind to animals' nature that I was so concerned for your safety and wellbeing...?? 

All heart, me.... :ph34r:

I did really appreciate you stopping at the Jim Clark Esses Post Office to collect my pension, though... it's not my fault they've changed it into a marshalls post, is it....

Spec K

Was a great day indeed. Fantastic circuit, one of my favourites after Cadwell and Donington, but Croft can bite you really hard if you lose it and I had a big spin out of the chicane (after Hawthorns) which left me within two metres of the barrier. That woke me up and I was a bit more careful after that, though I should have realised that you can't take the chicane flat!

Stan was stunningly quick as usual and him and I had the usual time gap, then it was the other usual time gap between myself and Paul which seems to never particularly vary all season. The status quo was maintained I think. 

Good to see some newbies popping their cherry, all of whom did very well indeed I think. :)

Great stuff, Tim.... I don't suppose you could get out the back of the circuit, could you? The Esses were bloomin' quick....

Spec K

Quick that is for those who were not stopping to collect their mates pension for them  :wacko:

Quick that is for those who were not stopping to collect their mates pension for them  :wacko:

That's very true, Dave.... very true....

My fault, I should've told you that post offices don't open on a Sunday.. but I'd forgotten it was Sunday, couldn't hear the church bells over someone's ultra-loud exhaust....

Wonder who that was......  :mellow:

Spec K

No, you can't get right round the track

Bummer...

.. thinking about it, there's not many UK tracks in the UK that you can get all the way around... yeah, the big ones (Silverstone, Brands, Oulton, Snett..) but the second division tracks border on farmland ...

... and we all know the multi-billionaires who own them are more worried about our decibels curdling their milk/spontaneously aborting their gerbils/eco-yaks than encouraging man's endeavours to achieve greatness..

I got a five minute allowance on the Avon Motor Tour of Britan in 19suffink because a neolithic mammoth (okay, it was a deer..) impeded our progress.. the local farmer begged forgiveness for his abject failure to control the wildlife... (1)

.. proper behaviour..

(.. I forgave him.. his daughter was a proper wild<NO SIGNAL>

Then the ones with Brucey on board

Run 6, 1:48.49

Run 7, 1:50.36 (shame I lost this one at 1:07 as I was 1.5 seconds ahead of Run 5 which was a 1:48.67, might have been another 1:47 :angry: )

Good stuff, Alec.. is that using 'Race Render'?

As an aside - I was driving back from Croft and stopped at a Shell garage for petrol - coincidence that Stan pulled up behind me! - filled up and motored on home.

Today I got an email from the 'Customer Experience Manager' at Shell asking for feedback on the service I received....

... his name is 'Bilge Stores' !!!     I am not kidding......

Spec K