smudge

Alignment

IMHO you set the car up to suit how you drive, my settings were somewhat not liked on here but the car sticks like s to b and has no understeer. So I guess take an average of what's on offer from members experiences and give it a go.

Yep totally dependent upon how you like the car to feel on the road and track. I like my car to oversteer and move around, I like to have agility over stability, but it's not for everyone. 

Well I used the Fensport settings which are fast road and track really. 

I went for the maximum camber I could without undue tyre wear so 2 deg neg on the front and 1.75 on the rear. 

Front toe is parrallel as per stock and rear is reduced (less toe in) which helps to make the car more agile. I do the rest with my suspension programming. 

It's much sharper than a stock setup and turn in is improved. Sure if you drive too fast into a corner you'll get understeer, it's inevitable, but balancing the car is better because the car reacts more quickly. It has quite a neutral balance and tends to oversteer pretty easily which I really like as I like to steer the car on the throttle. 

In terms of stability it's absolutely fine, though I admit I'm fairly tuned to it due to setting previous cars to have a pointy front end. But it's no issue at all you would adjust quickly. 

It was significant to get professional feedback on Pitman's car when compared to mine (Millbrook). Wholly focussed on handling..

Mindful that we are virtually identical except for manual/auto transmissions (both running the Tein EDFC suspension system) - his is more 'pointy' than mine.... the reasons for this were identified and, with a new 'tweaky' suspension modification which we both will be trying, I hope that these will be incorporated on my car shortly.

His car is a thoroughbred stallion compared to my gelding... for out-and-out 10/10ths trackday his car would be faster than mine, as you would expect from a manual vs auto, if for no other reason. But at the expense of slightly more forgiving and predictable settings...

... both use the standard Fensport 'fast road' static settings, Jordan. But, as Lauren says, it is very much a starting point - these cars are very easy to 'tune' to personal choice when it comes to characteristics.. and no doubt Mark at Abbey has his own thoughts on what suits the s/c cars..

Spec K

Sorry to high jack your thread Smudge but Kevin (or anyone for that matter), can you explain what effects you had by adding tension (same term as pre-load right?) to your anti roll bars? And this is purely done by having aftermarket adjustable drop links right?

Also, if one was to add spacers to your car, would you need to get the car realigned at all?

Surely this is a wind up? How can you possibly preload a stock ARB? I understand you can generate twist for oval track racing, but not preload surely??

No, nothing wrong with my rears, just considering the fronts as the bolts are a mission to take off, plus I hear people getting a set with their coilovers to curious as to the point of adjustable drop links and if I need them or not. Why is it that you can't pre-load them then?

I am finding this very difficult to explain.

Basically, you cannot preload something with equal length levers which pivots around a common bearing point.

That is the question Pitman, why do some of these coilovers come with adjustable drop links? I am just guessing that you use them to pre-load the anti roll bar but hence my question. Nigel, if lengthening one of the drop links more than the other causes torsional tension in the anti roll bar, does that not count as pre-loading the anti roll bar? Or is it just that the term pre-load means something else and that I am using it incorrectly? Some people tweak their suspension to compensate the driver being sat in the car don't they? Would they not adjust the anti roll bar too? Or are the drop links literally used to raise or lower the ends of the anti roll bar after you've raised or lowered your suspension so they don't potentially hit the floor or the underside of your car when going over uneven surfaces?

Keith,

The reason for the adjustable drop links is exactly as you say, in order to maintain the neutral position of the ARB arms, when you change the ride height of the car

Dave

I'm glad we got this sorted. I was getting worried that someone had been given inaccurate information about their car!!

I wish the coil over companies would give us adjustable links for the headlight levelling gizmo.

Nigel, I don't mean to be rude but your responses really didn't help at all! I originally queried what effects adding tension to the anti roll bars made while querying if the term pre-load was correct/applicable. You then failed to explain why you can't pre-load anti roll bars but can generate twist which to me sounds like the same thing as adding tension or pre-loading. If I was using the term pre-load incorrectly then it would have been helpful to let me know that and why. Instead took my genuine question from someone who doesn't know all the ins and outs of suspension systems as a joke. I genuinely did not really know what adjustable drop links were really for and from the bit of research I did, I came across people mentioning pre-loading their anti roll bars, hence my questions for clarification.

Well it's not the first time us 'inexperienced idiots' have been used a joke on this Forum..... 

I still don't clearly fully understand the difference between a supercharger and a turbo apparently...... 

Well Jay and Pitman, the difference between a super.... :D;)

But in all seriousness, I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to turn this into a rant thread. I was up late, tired and a bit frustrated.