Nerfie

Howdy

Just saying Hi. I've been mostly a lurker on the other forum not really seeing a sense of community. So much so, I completely lost interest in even lurking any more. Anyway, I was at Oulton Park on the June the 5th and someone had postcards with this club's URL on. 

I feel I must point out I was quite shy and felt little awkward, it's the first time I've done anything like that track day, and it's my first rear wheel drive car. But, I've only ever owned Toyota's since obtaining my driving licence. Anyway, I noticed (from the pics/vids) a couple of people from this forum did make an effort to talk to me so I thought I'd sign up and say hello. Also apologise for not being overly talkative on the day. 

Just saying Hi. I've been mostly a lurker on the other forum not really seeing a sense of community. So much so, I completely lost interest in even lurking any more. Anyway, I was at Oulton Park on the June the 5th and someone had postcards with this club's URL on. 

I feel I must point out I was quite shy and felt little awkward, it's the first time I've done anything like that track day, and it's my first rear wheel drive car. But, I've only ever owned Toyota's since obtaining my driving licence. Anyway, I noticed (from the pics/vids) a couple of people from this forum did make an effort to talk to me so I thought I'd sign up and say hello. Also apologise for not being overly talkative on the day. 

Hi Nerfie... and welcome!

First trackday... first rwd car... what a great way to start, in a GT86...

Loadsa enthusiasts spread all over the country.. lots of events, not only trackdays/Sprint Series but social as well. You don't say what neck of the woods you come from but there's bound to be others close to you..

Planning any mods?

Spec K

Hi Nerfie, 

Welcome aboard. I may have spoken to you, but difficult to tell from your username. I had the one with the red wheels. I fully expect Alec would have introduced himself though, he's no shy retiring wallflower! ;)

In all seriousness, we're a sociable bunch, pretty much always up to something and we just like to get out and about with our cars. If you fancy an impromptu drive round North Wales tomorrow we'll be doing the EVO triangle. The following week we're at Woodbridge (Ipswich) for the Toyota Sprint Series, spectators welcome. 

Everyones welcome and I must say in the last 18 months I've made some great new friends on here. It's all good. :)

You have Count Duckula are your image, thats like the best thing ever. Like you I'm relatively new to this, only gotten to a miniminimeet last month, look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Nerfie, welcome to the club. No need to be shy, everyone is pretty friendly in the GT86 community i've found. Hopefully we will see each other soon, as Lauren said, drive in wales tomorrow. And there is always the TSS if you want some more track fun and car shows to go to. I suggest you don't miss JAE this year the weather is looking good for it and it's a really good social weekend.

welcome to the club,   hope your enjoying the car :)  

my first toyota and first RWD and love it.

Everyone here is friendly and always willing to help  and dont forget the banter ;)

Hope to meet you soon  stick your location on and you will probably find there is someone closer then you expect!

Thanks, everyone. 

I'm Somerset based, ish, usually in Bristol as well. 

Hmm, I'm a little torn on mods at the moment. I've been really interested in the AVO Turbo install Fensport offer.However, that's more a pipe dream with the kinda money they want for it and my current obsession of booking a holiday/thing to do of some sort every month. 

More likely to happened sooner rather then later: Exhaust; torn between the HKS or the Miltek (and still undecided on resonated or nonresonated). Maybe an induction kit, although I'd prolly settle for a panel filter. 

Then a couple of small cosmetic ones like a shark fin and the Subaru auto mirror retractor majigger. When I have time, I'm going to digg around to see if anyone has Android running on the head unit yet. I know some people have managed to wedge a Nexus 7 in the space which might be another route I go down. So nothing major really at this stage. Although, I only owned my 86 a week and a half before someone put a nice dent in my front passenger wing. So I should prolly get that looked at first.

I didn't really talk to you Lauren, as such, I was admiring your car and you did say hello but it was in passing at the end of the day. Thanks for the heads up about the next couple of events but I'm fully booked up! I am making a road trip from Bristol to Aberdeen on the 21st of June which I am looking forward too, it's a mile eater for sure! :D

Well, thanks for the warm welcome. I'll do some reading around the place and hopefully find things I can contribute on! :)

Go super charger. Cheaper sounds better but won't hit the big numbers. If you want character the s.c is the way, keeps the cars personality should I say. See abbey Motorsport rather than Fensport in regards to a supercharger.

Exhaust choices.. Hmm both are great. Most exhausts sound very different. Good thing we pretty much have all in our club from home made, custom, budget, mid range and top shelf. Depends on what you want sound wise!

Best to go to a meet and hear for yourself. But either miltek of Hks will see you right, actually both are my top 2 for sound quality. The Hks will sting a bit as its top shelf and will cost so. But well worth it. I got one.

James H

I'd say drive the car a bit more before worrying too much about mods. Listen to the exhausts, get a ride in the various forced induction cars and see what you think. 

I've been fortunate enough to drive most of them now it seems. It's been interesting comparing the different options for sure. 

Enjoy the car a bit first then you get a better feel for what's important I think. 

Thanks. I should point out, it's not just money which I'm torn on when it comes to forced induction. I was more then happy with the performance on the track and indeed in my day to day driving. Other then 'bragging' rights which I'm not all that concerned about, I'm not sure what I'd actually gain from it. 

I will take on board the advice of trialling both if I do take the plunge, thanks.

Thanks. I should point out, it's not just money which I'm torn on when it comes to forced induction. I was more then happy with the performance on the track and indeed in my day to day driving. Other then 'bragging' rights which I'm not all that concerned about, I'm not sure what I'd actually gain from it. 

I will take on board the advice of trialling both if I do take the plunge, thanks.

You're welcome to test drive mine whenever you want.

Drive robs and that's you mate!! Might as well write a check. Look at me! Drove turbos but s.c gave the sound and drama. Turbos just gave thrust with a muted experience.

But best to drive both as this is my personal opinion.. Also there is a reason why cosworth has gone twin screw s.c... Hmmmm

Welcome along.

I'm not too sure that I would enjoy FI on this car either.

I find NA the car is more than capable enough on A and B roads of delivering plenty of thrills.

I think NA it is possible to drive at 80%+ easily without getting in any trouble.

i suspect with significantly greater torque and power then I would find myself at 35-30% far more often and not having as much fun. I liken it to the difference between a 600cc and a litre sports bike. While I have ridden a litre class sportbike for 18odd years I have never enjoyed it, on the road, as much as I enjoyed caning the tits off a 600 before that. Riding the 600 demanded maintaining momentum and high corner speeds because the grunt just wasn't there to take off down the straights. it's probably much like hooning a NA car about, it probably takes more thought to hustle quickly as you can't just plant the right foot and recover all that lost speed.

Just my 2c - all IMHO of course.

Welcome to the club Nerfie, glad you had an awesome start to your RWD experience and first track day supplied by Toyota.....wish I could have attended that!  It's also my first Toyota and RWD and it was also the car I did my first ever trackday too and like you said, it often doesn't feel like you need any more power but there has been the odd occasion where I would have liked more (if it's just you on the road then it's brilliant, go up against a turbo diesel or something horrid like that and you'll feel inadequate off the line or on track).  But I'd agree with Lauren, I'd probably take it easy first, get used to the car as it is, then once your 100% with it, upgrade, I stayed completely stock (bar drop in air filter) for a full year before exhaust (Cobra) and ECU remap which the car really needs and benefits from in my opinion.