toyokid

Handling upgrades

I have Tein 25mm drop springs fitted,

allied to 17" x 7" Oz Superleggeras ET35 with 225 x 45 tyres

and find the handling pretty sharp,

can I fit add ons to improve the ride over rough ground?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Sounds like you want a 'comfort upgrade' rather than handling per se. 

The short answer is no, you can't add anything to improve the ride over rough ground. 

The longer answer is that the dampers are relatively short stroke as standard which means there is limited travel to start with, so this makes it harder to achieve a more comfortable ride. 

If you went and splashed out 4-8K on coilovers that are rally spec, then yes you can get an amazing ride over rough ground, though you'll likely need to rebuild them at every service. They'll be absolutely amazing but for obvious reasons nobody does this on a road car. 

I have the Tein flex with EDFC active pro and this does a pretty good job of making the ride supple enough, but tightens up when you load the suspension as it's got active control of the damping force that adjusts constantly from soft to hard according to load. But even then rough ground will make itself felt. That will cost you about £2.5K fitted and should last pretty well. Also the full travel of the dampers is kept because you have adjustable spring platforms. 

When you lowered your car on stock dampers by 25mm, you lost 25mm of travel. 

Fatter / taller tyres with a softer side wall. 

Longer travel shocks with sensible spring rates would help too. 

Best of all - fit an airbag suspension system - Rolls Royce soft and height adjustable 2 inches either way at the flick of a switch. 

Would be good have a ride in your car Lauren, shame I didn't have time at Oulton Park!

I like the sounds of Bilstein coilovers as well, having used them on both my Celicas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve - if you get yourself a 'passenger ticket' you can come on track tomorrow in mine... mind you I've got a lot of retuning to do, following their re-valve at Tein UK....

Spec K

Sorry I wasn't able to make it to the TSS round! Have done a bit of research around the American forums which have used Bilstein for a year or more, the feedback seems to be that they work best at higher ride heights (wanted) and maybe work better on the road (progressive springs). The struts are built to a higher standard than oem which should aid the ride. On rough uncambered North Yorkshire roads I found my previous BC coilovers did not perform well at higher ride heights.

I had the Koni's before my Tein's, they worked and were ok for road but honestly you could probably do with some better adjustability. It's one of them things you can cheap out on and regret later. Seems you've done that once and learnt!