Guest zen

Automatic Headlights

Guest zen

Driving home tonight, moderately twisty, undulating, tree-lined road... with the lights set to auto.

I have to apologise to the driver in front of me (should they happen to read this) for apparently flashing them. It seems that the sensor is very sensitive, and the intermittent shade caused by dips and trees pals havoc with the lights. Now the lights are off/on.

The sensitivity of these can be adjusted, but has anyone experience of doing this? Does it help? What did you set it to? Any other thoughts?

Z

PS: 800 miles still to go... Damn this work thing getting in the way of enjoyment!

I assume you are referring to bumps imitating you flashing the car in front as opposed to you actually flashing them.

It's pretty common with HID lights because they are so bright. They have auto levellers in them but they don't work over bumps obviously lol.

I thought he meant the auto lights switching on and off?

I've found them to be pretty sensitive to come on, then refuse to switch off automatically unless it gets a lot brighter yet if you turn them off and put back on auto they won't come back on

I thought he meant the auto lights switching on and off?

I've found them to be pretty sensitive to come on, then refuse to switch off automatically unless it gets a lot brighter yet if you turn them off and put back on auto they won't come back on

Yeah, this pretty much sums up my experience...

Guest zen

What Mike and Fusion said... Not a huge deal, but dammit the car has automatic headlights - they should work! :)

And yes, on/off is what I will do in the meantime, I just wondered if anyone had success getting the sensitivity adjusted?

I wouldn't worry Zen, it won't seem like you're flashing the person in front as the when the lights do come on, even when your back out in bright light, there is a delay before they turn off again which I assume is to prevent them from blowing when you continuously driver through flickers sunlight due to trees and what not so as a result, doesn't make it seem like your flashing anyone.  The sensitivity can be adjusted but they need to be taken to a dealer to do as I believe they have to plug into the car to tweak the setting on a computer or something.

The sensitivity can be adjusted but they need to be taken to a dealer to do as I believe they have to plug into the car to tweak the setting on a computer or something.

You can get Techstream from eBay or from torrent sites, however you need a cable (Tactrix) which is the expensive part. Alternatively Toyota should do it for free anyway.

I serioiusly wouldn't worry about it. They do come on, quickly but they take a while to turn off  as others have said. 

So it will never look like you're flashing the driver in front and they'll just think, 'oh they've got auto headlights'. 

You can adjust the sensitivity but i would just drive around a while longer yet, you'll get used to it.