Lauren

Thoughts on tyres

Okay I'm going to break with tradition and try a higher performance tyre than the Primacy.

This is partly because I need a new set of tyres and fancy trying something different and also because I'm competing in the TSS.

Now, I know that Stan for example is using the AD08R. Now this would be perfect for sprinting, but I have to consider that I spend 99% of my driving time on the public road and I would like a tyre that isn't too heat dependent to get to work which will I think be the case in the wet.

I am considering the V103

http://yokohama.co.uk/Tyre-Finder

For what it is worth, Lauren, I am really happy with my Goodyears, in both the wet and the dry.  Adrian even commented on how well they put the power down when he was mapping my car.

V103 is the old version, look for V105. 

Why not have one set of track tyres and one road tyres? not like you haven't got enough wheels  :D

My potential replacements:

Eagle F1 Asym

Continental CS5

Mitchelin PSS

All of those look to provide grip, feedback and fine in wet weather.

I've had AD08s before.... nice tyre so long as the roads aren't greasy. 

I don't particularly rate the Eagle F1 in the wet. I've had moments where it has just let go and when it slips it continues to. It's an improvement over stock though for sure and they are great when dry.

I have been looking at the Continental Sport contact 5 - though a little confused that the tyre is rated differently by standard manufacturer options - if that makes sense!?

i.e. here :

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/continental/sport-contact-5

225/40/18 92Y

If you buy "normal" efficiency rating is F , If you buy Audi efficiency rating is E, yet if you buy mercedes efficiency rating is C!

I have the Yoko Advans that are good (standard on the TRD), but i would like more than 13000 miles form a set!

Anyone shed any thoughts?!

Cheers

Neil

I'll be going Contis as I thought they were awesome on my Clio especially in the wet but these were the Contact Sport 3's and obviously a front wheel drive but I'll be trying them when I get my 18" Rotas for road use but I'm still contemplating what I should do for my stock 17" as I need new tyres for those too......so I go for fun Primacies or try for faster times for the TSS with stickier tyres?

I've seen that too Neil but never really bothered looking too far, I see it as those tyres may have been tweaked ever so slightly for that manufacture and then slap on a bigger price tag....so never considered looking at them.

Conti C5's on mine. Can't really fault them, but the car's lost the driver involvement as it's doing far more itself. They've made the car far more competent, boring from a different perspective.

I'd like to keep them for the odd track day / sprint and keep a standard set for the road, though it's a faff changing them regularly.

Yoko v105s. Beat all on Evo tire test 2013 1st wet handling. 2nd dry lap times. No brained really. Forget ps2 ps3 conti 5.save money and better tire. Non of us got the budget to run tire tests Lol so go with the journos I say

I wouldn't use Goodyear F1s. I know the assymmetric tread is a lot different from the old GSD3s, but the old tyres were an absolute liability on track as the tread fell off due to delaminating. 

It was shocking tbh and affected a number of friends too. Never again. 

V105 looks like the strong contender at present. 

I've chosen F1 and run them currently and am pleased with what that give thus far, I've not yet tried them on a trackday yet to see how they fare there and hope they dont delaminate :blink: , they were used at Millbrook and the outer shoulders are quite well roughed up so it will be interesting to see how the go long term with a bit of track work.

When these have expired I'll probably try something else not that I have an issue with F1 (currently) but nice to try other stuff probably also try the V105 next time around