Keethos

Toyota FT-1 aka New Supra

Lovely if it stays close to the concept. 

I really wish they wouldn't call it the new Supra though. It was never a car I liked save for the earlier Celica-Supra. 

@Rob - why on earth wouldn't you want one?  I probably wouldn't get one as I doubt I'd afford it but I'd still want one....assuming like Lauren it stays as close to the concept.  I'm sure performance wise it's guna be awesome!

@Lauren - why didn't you like the Supra?  I would have loved a Supra but not a stock one, it doesn't look all that stock but there are some really awesome body kits.

well it's a supercar really isn't it or atleast that's what it's looking to be. It's fun tuning, and it's not something you tune. It's not really the next Supra for this reason.. To me they needed to make a good base that looked good and was powerful but could be tuned. Something along the lines of a GT86 but with more base power.

I never liked the shape of it tbh. I think it was too heavy and a bit of a barge as a result. Sort of the car for SLJs (StraightLine Junkies). Which is not my kind of car really. 

This concept is obviously different. 

That one! Looks awesome in red...

... really, really keen to find out what engine/powertrain they're installing as standard..

Spec K

I'd assume a V6 hybrid. Seems the was the JDM cars are going. Think I'd still rather the new NSX.

I'd assume a V6 hybrid. Seems the was the JDM cars are going. Think I'd still rather the new NSX.

V6 would be good - rumours were a straight six as the original...

Hybrid? In yer teeth! - that crap?.. out straight away! (.. unless it's KERS...). Ask my mate Jeremy..

I was privileged to drive a 'hybrid' last year, courtesy of Riceburner, whilst a few dents were sorted out on my beloved..

... my  psychiatrist says I am making good progress but it will take time to heal this particular mental trauma..

.. (ain't it grand when the NHS gives you a 'petrolhead' consultant..)

Spec K

The new NSX is a hybrid of the same kind as the McLaren P1 and Porka 918. This would have to be of similar ilk to get the performance.

As the last NSX was one of the best ever track focused road cars (IMO), the next one should be better than most of it's competitors. Honda have always known the recipe to make a great fast and fun car.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/289516/honda_nsx_2015_specs_prices_video_and_uk_launch_date.html

Big difference between a £15grand hybrid Toyo and £100grand hybrid Honda, Steve..

Like, err, £85 hybrid grand... and would you go for an NSX rather than an Audi R8 ?

Spec K

Big difference between a £15grand hybrid Toyo and £100grand hybrid Honda, Steve..

Like, err, £85 hybrid grand... and would you go for an NSX rather than an Audi R8 ?

Spec K

It is a big gap, but being that F1 uses hybrid technology, the next gen of supwercars all do as well so I'd assume that Toyota will. The instant torque is near impossible to match bar big capacity engines, which adds too much weight. The FT-1 will undoubtedly come as a hybrid in some form.

If you want my honest answer, I'd rather an old NSX-R over an R8 any day. Much more driver focused.... Senna helped set up the chassis after all. As for the new one, if done right it will be pushing above it's weight. I am Honda at heart but that's because they have always done something better than the others, create a car for pure driving fun and the cars feel right.

Anyone know why these new JDM cars like the new NSX and the FT-1 are being designed or developed by the Americans and not the Japanese?  This a good thing or bad thing you reckon?  I personally don't mind the idea of going high performance hybrid, which in my eyes is completely different to going eco hybrid.  What I wouldn't want is a full on electric car, fair enough you can still get mega performance (just see the Mercedes SLS Electric) but sound plays a big part in the feel of the car to me, so as long as the hybrid still have the roar of a proper car then I'm down.....though I would probably miss the low down burble when tootling around town as I'm sure it'll likely boot into electric mode.

Yeah well the chinese will buy any kinda Bentley, they seem to throw money at things....even ugly ass Bentley 4x4's, doesn't surprise me that they're doing hybrids for them too.