Deacon

Starting issue

I've had a few occasional issues when starting my car - it's like it doesnt quite catch when trying to start then finally manages it. Theres a thread about it over on the other forum. It did it again today when I was leaving work. Seemed a bit worse this time and I think the description I've read of it as similar to an old propeller plane cranking is very apt. Just wondered if anyone had come across any further info on what causes it or any fix available?

Cheers!

I've had it only two or three times since I've had mine and one of the times was my own fault for lifting off the clutch too early, when you tried to start it again, it would take a while to start up....don't know if that has anything to do with it....could be that there's too much fuel in the system, could be waiting for some sort of sequence to finish which might have been interrupted?

I've seen similar behaviour once, when mapping with Adrian. It was a vvt/ignition retard timing issue -for some inexplicable reason the EMU "forgot" its startup settings... but then "remembered" them with power off/on restart..

The problem I find with this sort of fault is that it never, ever repeats itself when you've got the car back at the dealers for diagnostics...

Spec K

It did it again today. This time after I'd been to the gym. Previously it's done it probably 3 times since last April when I got the car. That's twice in 2 days now! Both times have been worse than in the past too - it just didn't seem to want to catch and start and both times I've had to tap the accelerator to get it going.

I haven't noticed any signs of a misfire. Apart from the starting up it seems to run very well. If it was the vvti controller would you expect it to show a fault code? I've got the torque app so could scan it for any codes.