Twigman

Touch & Go DAB options

What Toyota mean by 'DAB ready' in their literature is anyone's guess.

There does not appear to be any intention to make a DAB module available anytime soon for the 86's T&G unit.

I suspect there could be grounds for misrepresentation there ......

anyway to my point

What DAB options are out there while keeping the T&G head unit?

I've seen this:

http://www.justconnectme.co.uk/justdrive-digital-radio-dab-car-adaptor/

Anyone any experience with it?

Are there any better options?

Perhaps a Toyota dealer might care to explain what 'DAB ready' means and when (if ever) DAB might be available on the T&G?i

DAB ready means it's possible, but you will need a DAB aerial and some sort of kit that probably sits behind the head unit. 

If you didn't have T&G I would suggest ditching the stock head unit which is at best poor, but obviously you've paid £750 or so for the sat nav option, so you don't want to lose that. 

I think Toyota do the unit but nobody knows what the part number is and it's rediculously expensive!

After I saw Nick's integrated DAb the other day at TSS Woodbridge I decided to quiz Toyota on how his car had it but nobody else's did so i got onto HO.

I know what the part number is now. :)

Part is PZ473-T0210-A0

They have not indicated a price and suggested I talk to my dealer.

Toyota admit "Seems we've not done a good job of promoting to dealers. It's the same unit as connects to various other models, ie Verso"

email from my dealer:

Hi Mr. Twigman,

That is correct.

I have looked into this with my parts manager and indeed that is a relevant part number but it is not listed against the GT86 vehicle. What this means is that as it is an electrical item it is non refundable, meaning that it is a bit of a risk that it may not work however you have the added benefit you have met with an owner of that part so I am guessing it would be fine.

The price of the part is £376 and fitting would take between 1 and 1.5 hours which would mean a charge all inclusive of £496 or £556 respectively.

Kind Regards,

Slippery Dealer

That seems VERY expensive and very slippery of them to have a get out if it doesn't work - what if it's faulty? What if it's fitted incorrectly?

whatd'ya think I am, a pimp..?

At those prices you're obviously a long way down the pecking order....

I expected you'd be pushing the high class call girls rather than the street corner crack monkeys.

After I saw Nick's integrated DAb the other day at TSS Woodbridge I decided to quiz Toyota on how his car had it but nobody else's did so i got onto HO.

I know what the part number is now. :)

Part is PZ473-T0210-A0

They have not indicated a price and suggested I talk to my dealer.

Toyota admit "Seems we've not done a good job of promoting to dealers. It's the same unit as connects to various other models, ie Verso"

yeah but what about my missing alarm key pad and auxiliary socket rant rant blah blah

All it says is non refundable if you weren't happy with it which is still bull (sales/goods act and all that), not that it won't be covered under warranty if it was faulty and or fitted correctly, that and I'm sure they'd do something about it if you kicked up enough of a fuss.

Update:

I was contacted by TGB via Twitter.

They have taken my details, details of my car and details of the dealer I have been dealing with.

Although they have not stated as such I think, due to the tone of the messages thus far, that TGB are looking at officially testing the DAB unit in a GT86 and then, assuming it works, officially sanctioning it for fitment to the GT86. (The problem seeming to be atm that TGB have not 'officially' approved the unit for GT86 fitment). TGB have said that they might be able fit the unit to my car at Gatwick, although this is not definite yet.

I find this really strange. My GT86 has had the Toyota DAB unit for almost two years now as I had it fitted at the time of purchase in September 2012. It is just a window aerial which is on the top left corner of the windscreen.

It might be worth noting that I paid £340 fitted at Toyota Reading. Also, worth noting is that it is currently not working and I need to book it in to be replaced.

Update

TGB are apparently updating their dealer network computers to inform dealers that the DAB module is available for the GT86.

And I am getting mine fitted at a fairly generous discount as soon as I can be bothered to book it in!

Result!

No worries on a related matter by a novice like me what are the advantages of DAB I take it when a station goes out of range you loose it like all car radio is it just a quality of signal thing?