JoshL

Hello.. Light side ;)

Hello everyone,

First time on this forum for me, so just thought I'd introduce myself before I start lurking!

I got my Grey GT86 at the end of March 2013 and I absolutely love it! I have no mechanical knowledge really so not looking to get heavily into modding, although I have had my eye on a blitz induction kit for a while now, and the cobra exhaust sounds incredible in the flesh (thanks SpanyTom). The only mods I've made so far are changing the interior and vanity mirror bulbs to LED ones. The white light makes such a huge difference!

Cheers,
Josh

Hi and welcome! Out of interest, how easy was the LED mod? IS it just a case of changing bulbs or does it require re-wiring of some sort? I'd be quite interested in doing it if it isn't too complicated..

Hey, welcome to the club dude!  Glad you could join us!  The car is great stock but even better when you start modifying it to suit you, adding your own unique touches etc!  Hope to see you around at some of the meets in the near future!

Hi and welcome! Out of interest, how easy was the LED mod? IS it just a case of changing bulbs or does it require re-wiring of some sort? I'd be quite interested in doing it if it isn't too complicated..

Hey Fusion. Incredibly easy, just a case of swapping bulbs. Watch makers flat head screw driver to pop open the casing, I wrapped mine in some cloth so I didn't scratch anything, same for the vanity mirrors. Here's the bulb I got, from a different seller though as it was almost a year ago.. Id recommend getting less powerful ones for the vanity mirrors, as they are blinding due to thinner plastic... Perfect for the interior dome light though!  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-30mm-4-5050-SMD-Car-Interior-Festoon-LED-Light-Dome-Roof-Bulb-White-2-Pcs-/181241025791?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a32ce94ff

Hey Fusion. Incredibly easy, just a case of swapping bulbs. Watch makers flat head screw driver to pop open the casing, I wrapped mine in some cloth so I didn't scratch anything, same for the vanity mirrors. Here's the bulb I got, from a different seller though as it was almost a year ago.. Id recommend getting less powerful ones for the vanity mirrors, as they are blinding due to thinner plastic... Perfect for the interior dome light though!  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-30mm-4-5050-SMD-Car-Interior-Festoon-LED-Light-Dome-Roof-Bulb-White-2-Pcs-/181241025791?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a32ce94ff

Cheers Josh! - will get the bulbs for the dome light. I already find the vanity mirror lights too bright anyway - can hardly see the mirror for the light!

Hi Josh - good to meet you and the missus on Sunday (and Qu1kn1ck plus his other half). Gotta say that 'blue is colour of my true love's wear'... (catchy title for a song, that..)

The Cobra exhaust is very, very, loud (as the Scrutes at Snetterton will tell you - Eh, Keethos...?). Milltek is popular and the Hayward & Scott gives a pleasant sound, although not cheap.. think about removing the secondary cat for extra performance, it won't affect your emissions at MOT..

I agree with Rob - an ECUTek remap is a great 'mod'.... and the dealers can't see it at service time, so there's no warranty issues...

Enjoy one of the best cars  on the road in 2014... I just hope that Toyo decide to introduce the FT1, I'd buy one of them like a shot...

Spec K

LOL, it's true but I don't know what's going on with my exhaust, Mark from Abbey and Matt from Cobra both have no idea why my exhaust is soooooo much louder than Jay's even though our systems are virtually identical.  They both say that each car is different but not this bloody different!  No idea if they are all this loud and Jay's is a one off quiet non-res system with 2nd CAT delete, or if mine is a one off mega loud non-res system with 2nd CAT delete.....I love it...and it's sounds mega awesome....even had a mate think it was a super car coming down the road..... :D .....but I'm shafted for trackdays  :(

I was going to say 106db is ear splittingly loud. That would be painful to stand next to it. 

I'm very surprised that you are anywhere near this kind of level at all. Every 3db is roughly double, so that is crazy loud. I'd expect my car to be around 95db. I know I have a Milltek with a decat and non-res and whilst it is loud-ish I don't think I'd ever encounter a problem on trackdays. Maybe get another measurement just to check it really is that loud? 

I used to witness a load of noise testing when I worked on pitlanes on trackdays in years gone by. 

Tell me about it Lauren, I was mega shocked....and I was bricking it thinking I've just lost the money I spend on a track day  :(

How am I guna go about testing the noise level of my exhaust?  Who would have such instruments to measure this?

Tell me about it Lauren, I was mega shocked....and I was bricking it thinking I've just lost the money I spend on a track day  :(

How am I guna go about testing the noise level of my exhaust?  Who would have such instruments to measure this?

Ian has one :)