suggestable

Looking to buy a modified car... from a dealer.

Hey everyone!

I'm looking to buy a second GT86 in the next few months. Is anyone aware of a dealer who would be willing to work with Fensport to supply me with a pre-modified warrantied car?

I'd want a used vehicle of the following specs:

Pearl white AUTO,

Red/black leather/Alcantara interior,

Black carbon-effect vinyl roof wrap,

Black carbon fibre bonnet,

Black carbon fibre boot lid and spoiler,

Stage 3 AVO turbo kit from Fensport,

Ecutek tuning (with "performance", "regular" and "eco" maps),

Nice, loud exhaust.

I've driven Dave's car and have seen and heard Chris' car. Both were modified by Fensport with the stage 3 AVO turbo kit. I was extremely impressed by both.

I'll be travelling 20k+ miles per year (mostly business mileage) and was impressed to hear that Chris manages to average 25.5mpg on the eco map.

The only reason I want to go via a dealer is to allow the whole thing to be financed on one HP agreement. Depending on how the figures work out, though, I may need to hold off on the turbo work. I'd still want the remaps, carbon parts and exhaust mods, even if I find I cannot afford the turbo at the same time as buying the car.

I've seen some similar-spec cars available on the Toyota Used Cars website listings, but they either come with cloth or black leather interiors. There's something about the red/black interior that draws me to it every time...

I don't want Touch & Go. I'll be completing a full audio install at some point and don't fancy the idea of shelling out lots of money for an underspecced OEM system that I'll rip out anyway. The JBL system does not appeal.

What I'd *really* like is a GT86 Cabriolet, but these are still apparently a long way off...

Any ideas?

Sarah

You decided to come back to the fold then...?

I'm not sure if you'd be able to do it, but I think your best option is to find a dealer with an ex-demo that is roughly the right "base spec" (i.e. pearl white, auto, red/black interior) and go from there...

Otherwise I think you'll struggle to find a dealer willing to order you a car specifically, then modify it for you, then sell it to you. At least with the above approach the car is already registered so they should be able to show on the paperwork that you bought the car first, then had it modified and then paid for it - as opposed to Toyota GB selling you a car with non-warranty approved modifications on it from new...

I hope that makes sense!

Oops! you said you wanted a used on already... Find a friendly dealer and then go from there...

Edited by Sideways?

Awesome stuff Sarah, knew you couldn't stay away for long, I bet you're kicking yourself for selling your own car now......then again....you're going white now ;)  New job then? :D 

Your best bet would be to either speak to Rich from RRG who I'm sure would be willing to get all the other cosmetic bits and bobs done as he'll happily have the vehicle modified by Adrian no problems.  Alternatively, speak directly with Adrian and see which of the dealers he's been dealing with because some of the recent turbo conversions he's done have been from dealers on brand new cars with only a couple of miles on them, if those dealers are willing to do a turbo conversion on a brand new car for customers, then I'm sure they'd be willing to supply you a second hand one with Adrian's mods on, the question is weather the dealer or Adrian will go the extra mile to do all the cosmetic wrapping etc.  How much the dealer slaps on top though.....no idea, you'll have to crunch the numbers with a dealer to find out.

Just to second what Keith said, speak directly to Adrian as he has done a few dealer direct cars now. Good to have you back! ;)

Yo!.... the suggestabubble returns to the fold! Great to have you back, Sarah - have a <big hug> from me..

I totally endorse what peeps have said above in regards to Rich at RRG and Adrian at Turbotown but if I was you I'd ask questions of the financiers first, as some of them will / some of them won't finance the sort of 'accessories' you list... adding £8grands-worth of kit to a £20grand second hand car - making it more expensive than a new one off the shelf - needs approval in principle.

If you find the hp finance vultures too venal you can always try your trusty old bank manager... a personal loan is a possible option. However, this may not be a route you wish to take.

Pity about the colour - you could have made me an offer for a blue/silver one at considerably less than £28grand...

Spec K

Speak to Richard at RRG of course. :)

Toyota are unlikely to do all the turbo mods on finance and you'd have to question why you'd want to as it would load the repayments significantly with that amount. 

I'm sure you could buy a car with a few mods like exhaust and perhaps a few cosmetics through Richard then it's off to Adrian and pay him for the turbo mods directly. Obviously do the same for the audio system. Personally I saw it as an advantage to get my audio install fitted separately to the finance as I won't pay any interest on it of course and it separates it from the finance of the car. 

Personally I don't think getting 25.5mpg is impressive, that is terrible. Fuel costs do factor when you are doing 20K+ miles a year. I do nigh on 30K a year and average around 35-37mpg in general driving. 25.5mpg would reduce the range a bit, that's poor I think.

It depends on the kind of driving you do though Lauren, I myself only average 28ish mpg. This weekend, my drive up to snett the track itself and back down to London came in at 22.6mpg! (not bad considering) Turbo drinks more anyway, 25.5 is about right for it IMO.

Sarah, do what i done, get a loan.. Toyota finance deals are bloody awful and they wont be doing you any favours with it either with lower interest because they know they would be doing you a favour (if they agreed to the turbo on finance)

Turns out that I was mistaken, the cars that Adrian turbo'd that came from the dealers were in fact 2nd hand cars for customers but primarily for the dealers themselves. Again, best bet is to have a word with Adrian first and possibly Rich from RRG.

Thank you for all the feedback guys. I really can't wait to get back into ownership!

I think the best plan would be to get a used GT86 in the colour I want with an auto box. The black interior would probably look quite good with the white car and there's no way I'd accept cloth seats...

Once I've got the car I should look at getting the turbo conversion done later down the line. I'd like to get the exhaust replaced ASAP and am so far rather impressed with the Millteks I've heard. However, Chris has an amazing exhaust on his car...

Getting a bank loan to finance it may not be such a bad idea and I think, based on my present credit status, I should be able to get a very good rate. Buying on HP may not be the best idea, simply because I think it actually works out slightly more expensive overall.

I won't do anything until I've got at least £3-4k for a deposit. When I factored the deposit into the Toyota website's finance calculator, it seemed to make very little difference to the overall cost of the car. Even putting a £9.5k deposit down didn't really affect the figures to an appreciable degree... so... I will likely have the deposit money available and use it if will make a difference. Buying with a bank loan would mean I would pay less interest if I used the deposit, so this may be the way to go.

I've seen some cracking cars online for around £22-24k, in white with auto boxes.

Keith: I could never part you from your pride and joy. Also... with your car's history, would it not make insurance more expensive?

I've already reached out to a couple of owners who are looking to sell their cars and would obviously prefer to buy direct from someone and cut out the dealer's involvement, thus benefiting both parties. One person has over 13k miles on their car. This doesn't put me off provided the price is right and the car's been well cared-for (which in this case, seems to be true).

I'll be looking to buy the car around April/May (or earlier, if my job situation changes sooner than anticipated). Based on current expectations, I should be able to repay the entirety of the loan within 18 months, which will save me a small fortune in interest payments.

If anybody is aware of someone selling a GT86 with an auto box (colours in order of preference are: white, silver, black, orange, red - but if it was black or red it would need to have the red interior pack), please let me know so I can reach out to them.

I'm likely to get the turbo financed after I've repaid the loan for the car (and during that time I'd benefit from the higher MPG of the NA car), so there's no immediate rush for this. I really just want the awesome-looking car tastefully modified to my own wishes, which is something I could not afford to do properly in the past.

Thank you again for all the feedback. Please keep ideas coming!

Sarah

Sarah - there's no reason why my car's history should make the slightest difference to the insurance.

It was repaired professionally by RRG's dedicated bodyshop (and would have taken less than a fortnight had the blasted parts been available!) and has done 4,000-odd miles since without any problem whatsoever, apart from the turbo needing some re-plumbing.

Every non-standard part has been professionally fitted by Fensport - apart from changing trackday wheels I've never laid a spanner on it! Adrian drove it at Snetterton for over an hour last Saturday, with other Forum Members as passengers, and rated it "superb..".

Interesting comment by the organisers at Snet when I suggested I was their oldest competitior and questioned whether I could get a pensioners discount... they laughted and said they have a 'regular' who is 83 years old! That'll be me in the future...

Spec K

I know i'm kind of missing the point here, but some back-of-the-envelope calculations for doing 20k in a modified GT86 vs standard GT86.

So, say 20k @ 25.5mpg is 784 gallons of fuel. Google reckons that is 3564 litres. At 129p per litre (lets say standard 95ron fuel from my local tescos) that works out to ~£4597.

20k @ 34mpg (which is what I did at the weekend with a reasonably quick run to Manchester and back) - thats 588 gallons of fuel or 2673 litres. At the same 129p/l price, that works out to ~£3448, so roughly about £1000 cheaper to run the standard car over 20k.

I'm guessing, but does the ECUTek require fuel > 95ron? If so, that does bump the numbers up higher.

I'd have thought you'd get more than 25mpg, when I had my Evo that would do 30mpg if I took it steady and that was a heavy beast with awd. 

Beside with a performance car you don't think about fuel costs or tax:D Smiles per Gallon. 

Speedy - I averaged 33.8mpg on my way back from Snet on Saturday and commuting around the East End I average about 26mpg. That's mainly on full boost with 'Sport' mode engaged.  On  track I average 9mpg.

Spec K

Ok, so the 95 was just a price (because i'm mostly driving a Fiesta at the moment, and that is what it drinks).

Using 135 instead of 129 makes it £4.8k vs £3.6k. It's still ~£1k.

There is of course a difference between auto and manual, so it's not quite an apples for apples comparison because of the higher gearing. Toyota themselves say that the auto is ~10% better for fuel economy than the manual (39.8mpg vs 36.2mpg).

Beside with a performance car you don't think about fuel costs or tax:D Smiles per Gallon. 

Yeah, I know i'm missing the point of owning a sports car vs something more frugal. It's more the question of doing 20k a year in it.

TBH, £1000 spread over 20,000 is what, like 5p a mile or something extra.