GT86Jay

Toyota Touch (& Go) Video Input for Telemetry using Torque Pro

Some of you may know that i’ve been working on a little something for the Toyota Touch (& Go) head unit. I’ve now successfully managed to get it all working and set up perfectly to my liking. 

After many hours of fiddling and tweaking with wires I’ve got it working. Spent hours fiddling, went through 3 methods and 4 pcs! Blew a couple of fuses, and broke my reverse camera cable in the process, but now have a fully integrated Telemetry data input into the head unit.

This makes use of a hidden input on the Toyota touch which isn't enabled by default. The ‘VTR’ Input, which is basically a video composite RCA input.

So this is what i’ve done and now have running….

Integrated 3 RCA panel inputs into my glove box along with a 12v ignition power supply….

Posted Image

A Mini Android PC in the glove box to input into the head unit. This Android pc will be replaced with a far smaller one which I am still waiting to arrive. I’ve used this one for testing as it is available in the UK. The one that’s coming from China is smaller, lighter and much cheaper. But takes several weeks to get here it would seem. I’d already tried another one from China but because of the android version it would not run Bluetooth or communicate with the car. 

Posted Image

I’ve got a little more tweaking to do with the Android box to make it more streamline but the PC now boots up, and opens up the Torque App into a dashboard automatically. Giving full engine telemetry on the screen. Including Oil Temp and Boost Pressure (If FI) along with any other data that is available from the GT86 ECU. And there is a lot! The data can be in the form of dials, graphs or numbers. Many of you know the Android Torque Pro app so anything you can do that, can pretty much be outputted to the head unit now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzwS9bIv97A

Sorry for the poor video, this was done using my iPhone wedged in the passenger head rest late at night. But gives a general idea.

And because it is technically just an android PC anything else you can do on android can also be done on the head unit. Angry Birds, Browser, films, music, pictures etc. 

This is still early development and I plan to keep on working on it to make it as possible and integrated as possible. 

The limitation at the moment are….

Only form of input is via Keyboard or Mouse.

Slow boot-up time, I am promising settings and removing unwanted start up services to speed up boot.

Only audio input is via the Front Jack Input or red and white RCA input. Audio can be played using the android pc, or inputted into the front jack from iPhone or iPod etc. But when in the ‘VTR’ Source you can’t use Bluetooth or iPod connection. And you can’t have the telemetry showing whilst listening to the radio etc. But I am working on a method so that apple users will hopefully be able to ‘air play’ to the android pc via WiFi or Bluetooth. I have this half working. 

Small text is difficult to read due to the 480p resolution. But setting all text to large is fine, and once in the torque app it’s not a problem.

The install process is very fiddly and complicated. But I will hopefully be making some wiring looms which allow an effective ‘plug and play’ solution. I will also be putting together an install guide for those who want to attempt it themselves. I need to tidy my install up, get some decent pictures and then i’ll get together a guide. 

Currently the software requires a bit of tweaking and setting up to work smoothly. But again i’ll add this all into the guide.

Very cool, Jay.

I'm guessing as I've already got an aftermarket head unit that I can just put an auxillary in as this is what this one is doing anyway if I wished to do so. I've already got the torque app (well Mark has).  

Very cool, Jay.

I'm guessing as I've already got an aftermarket head unit that I can just put an auxillary in as this is what this one is doing anyway if I wished to do so. I've already got the torque app (well Mark has).  

Yeah if your headunit has a video input then you should just be able to plug in the Andorid PC, install torque and you're away.

The difficult bit on this one was getting the Toyota Head Unit to accept the video signal. I'm now trying to source the plugs to hopefully make a plug and play harness. 

Also got the Airplay server working this morning. 

The android box now works as a Bluetooth or WiFi Hotspot.

When an iPhone or iPod is connected, you get the usual 'airplay' icon on the phone and can set the audio output of the device to play through the Andorid pc. 

Meaning I now have Telemetry and my iPhone Spotify / iTunes playing. 

Will be working on something for android users too.

So audio will be going through the Android PC into the HeadUnit via the Aux port at the bottom of the center console is this correct?  Will you lose audio quality and layers etc by just going through the Aux port?  And you can't listen to music off normal USB sticks from the usual USB port while displaying the Android PC right?  Do you now have to plug the USB stick into the Android PC to play the music?

So audio will be going through the Android PC into the HeadUnit via the Aux port at the bottom of the center console is this correct?  Will you lose audio quality and layers etc by just going through the Aux port?  And you can't listen to music off normal USB sticks from the usual USB port while displaying the Android PC right?  Do you now have to plug the USB stick into the Android PC to play the music?

This can be done Keethos, but I have also added two audio RCA inputs in the glove box so that you can input audio in via these. The two audio RCA inputs in the glove box basically mimic the front aux port.

You can of course play any music that is on the android pc, via ipod, usb or SD card. 

Unfortunately because the telemetry input is technically a new 'source' it also switches audio. So there is no way that I can see of being able to have the Bluetooth or iPod audio source whilst looking at the telemetry screen.

But hopefully with the airplay / bluetooth streeming to the android pc should be pretty seamless and easy. 

I've been using the Aux port on the front and have noticed no loss of quality! Although not having the skip / back buttons is annoying! 

Jay, this is great! I am seriously impressed...  I'm up for it when you're ready.

Spec K

No problem Keith. I'll let you know when it's all ready to go. It can be installed now with a little extra work, but hope to get the plug and play kit sorted pretty soon! 

Just a couple of other things Jay, I take it that while viewing the telemetry, you can still answer phone calls etc, does it just cut the screen to the phone screen or something?

Also, had a random idea this morning, have you even used TeamViewer before (or any other app that allows you to connect to another computer and even control it)?  With TeamViewer  now on android, I can use my phone to connect to a PC and control it, I can also now connect my PC to an Android phone and control that, so wondering weather you could connect an Android phone to this android PC to control it instead of plugging in a keyboard and mouse?  Or any other similar app that could do this?

Just a couple of other things Jay, I take it that while viewing the telemetry, you can still answer phone calls etc, does it just cut the screen to the phone screen or something?

Also, had a random idea this morning, have you even used TeamViewer before (or any other app that allows you to connect to another computer and even control it)?  With TeamViewer  now on android, I can use my phone to connect to a PC and control it, I can also now connect my PC to an Android phone and control that, so wondering weather you could connect an Android phone to this android PC to control it instead of plugging in a keyboard and mouse?  Or any other similar app that could do this?

Yeah default apps just take over the screen. Including when you put it in reverse. The camera still works etc. Just treat this input as any other. Bluetooth for example. Rather than showing the track and album art work it just shows the video input. 

And absolutely Keith! Good thinking. This is what I've actually done. I use my iPhone to connect and control it. Works really well as its a direct connection. The android pc acts as a Wifi hotspot which my phone then connects to. 

I've also go on order a small 'airmouse and keyboard' about the side of a remote control but has a full qwerty keyboard and track pad mouse on it. 

Anything Android can do. This can pretty much do.  B)

So roughly how much you reckon Jay will all the bits and bobs cost to have this up and running?

Still working that out Keith, 

My system cost me about £80 to get running but it was crude / cut wires etc. 

Have ordered a few plugs to hopefully get a plug and play harness built. Once i've done this i'll have an accurate idea of the cost of bits. 

The most expensive bit is the actual PC. But am working on getting thoose cheap too! 

Got some updates on this: 

After having some serious problems with the wiring, Sat Nav and power side of things I decided to remove everything from my car and start again from what i'd learnt and some new ideas. 

The biggest problem was boot time! Originally you get in the car and start the engine and the PC starts to boot. The problem with this is the time it takes to boot! By the time it's booted and loaded all the software and drivers you're 3 miles down the road! Not great for track days where you start and stop. The other problem being if you have the ignition on the PC boots. If you then start the car it drops power and reboots! Useless! Even with some hacking about and making a custom Android ROM it still was around 30 - 40 seconds to boot. 

What I've done now is powered the PC from the permanent battery. But in between the battery and Android PC there is now a circuit which monitors the battery level and ensures the PC can't ever drain the battery to a point where the car won't start! So regardless of the car's state, off, ignition or start up the Android PC is always running and ready to receive ECU parameters! I've tested the circuit and as a daily driver it's safe to run the Android pc all day. My car has been sitting for over 15 hours and still started without hesitation! With only a minor voltage drop. If your car does sit around for weeks, the circuit will turn the PC off to prevent drainage. Either by time it's been inactive or by battery voltage drop. 

So what this means is that by the time the head unit is powered on and past the Toyota Logo the Telemetry is displaying on the unit. 

I've made a quick and crude iPhone video to demonstrate... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qLL7OTAuWI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qLL7OTAuWI 

Going to run it for a couple more days in my car and then make more improvements. My goal is to make it 100% autonomous with no user input needed.

I am 1 plug away from completing a plug and play harness! It's almost impossible to source 28pin / 10pin Toyota plugs from anywhere!! 

I've got some bits on the Audio side I want to improve and build some custom GT86 themes. 

But thought i'd put a little update on here just to show things are progressing and we're not far off! 

it's looking better for sure! Nice one, is the screen flicker better now?

Much better rob. Before it was because i'd kinda of used Ethernet cable wedged in the slots and bits of insulation tape to hold it in place to prove the concept! Now it's nice pins and proper cables. 

No flicker at all under normal use. Slightly visible on full black screen. But that's a PAL signal trait. Toyota didn't spend too much money on the Display in the Touch Unit, that's for sure! 

My plan is to get some better video tonight / tomorrow. 

Again, awesome stuff Jay.....how easy is it to manually turn off the PC or say switch it to turn on and off with the car?  I'm thinking the only time I want the PC up and running ready is only when on track.....other times, I can wait I'm sure.

How would this always on feature affect playing music?  Does that mean now you have to manually play and pause before you turn the car off or something?

Much better rob. Before it was because i'd kinda of used Ethernet cable wedged in the slots and bits of insulation tape to hold it in place to prove the concept! Now it's nice pins and proper cables. 

No flicker at all under normal use. Slightly visible on full black screen. But that's a PAL signal trait. Toyota didn't spend too much money on the Display in the Touch Unit, that's for sure! 

My plan is to get some better video tonight / tomorrow. 

Good to hear, i'll have to have another gander at it at the fensport meet :) Wonder if I can use a OBD splitter so I can use my gauge aswell as this.... hmmmm

Good to hear, i'll have to have another gander at it at the fensport meet :) Wonder if I can use a OBD splitter so I can use my gauge aswell as this.... hmmmm

Apparently you can. You can get cheap splitters and should work.

Again, awesome stuff Jay.....how easy is it to manually turn off the PC or say switch it to turn on and off with the car?  I'm thinking the only time I want the PC up and running ready is only when on track.....other times, I can wait I'm sure.

How would this always on feature affect playing music?  Does that mean now you have to manually play and pause before you turn the car off or something?

Turning the PC on and off is easy and either just unplugging it when you don't want it in use. Or using the shutdown menu. You could also wire the pc into the battery ignition so it just turns on and off with the car. I need to do some more research into that as it could corrupt data. 

I'm still going to play with both options and try and get a boot time down. 

Music side of it is nearly there but again need to do some more coding and a little more experimenting.