Tom B

Clutch/Gearbox headache!

Hi Guys, Ever since buying my GT I've never liked the feel of the clutch. I'm getting horrible clunky shifts between 1st and 2nd and when dropping down from 3rd - 2nd or 2nd - 1st it can feel like I'm mushing the gears together rather than a slick engagement. There are also issue when sat in traffic, I depress the clutch, mush my way into 1st then I get an awful 'Clunk' that sort of shudders to the back axel. Not nice at all. It doesn't happen every time however.

Its bothering me more and more now, so just been outside trying to gather some more info, and noticed a sort of whining noise, that disappears when the clutch is pressed (see poor quality video.)

Anyone else experienced anything thing like this? I'm worried it may be something serious. Car is a 62 plate but only 18k on the clock. 

Thanks in advance. 

You'll feel a lil clunk when engaging first when stationary from the diff which is normal I believe, recently I've been feeling that 1st from stationary can a be a lil stubborn but if you double clutch it it slots in fine.  Not too sure what I'm hearing though from the video.

Thanks for the replies guys, Maybe it is something I'm going to have to get use to! Keith - There's sort of a whirling noise when in neutral and clutch up, disappears when clutch is pressed. It may well be normal too, just not something I've noticed/experienced before. 20k service coming soon I'll mention it then to get a second opinion. 

I can't tell from your video, the clonking noise, I've no idea. But if it's just a bit of whirring when the clutch is up, it's likely to be the release bearing. Nothing to worry about really if that's what it is. 

Single clunk when from stationary engaging in gear, most probably is diff loading as Keethos said. During first drives it seemed weird due not seeing such in other cars driven, but now i don't notice it, too used to it.

Funny, that some of mechanical noises don't seem annoying at all, rather on contrary, make feeling more involved/immersed. I will not go for forced induction nor i will buy very expensive sequential gearboxes, but always loved turbo whistling/supercharger and straight cut gear whines/tire squeel when on grip limit. It may annoy in long cruising travels, but otherwise make feel like being in rally car.

16 hours ago, Lauren said:

I can't tell from your video, the clonking noise, I've no idea. But if it's just a bit of whirring when the clutch is up, it's likely to be the release bearing. Nothing to worry about really if that's what it is. 

Thought the release bearing would make a noise when the clutch is down? Like mine is currently doing for a short time...

Mine does this too. Put it in neutral with the clutch up and you get a whirring/grinding from the gearbox. I think there's a free spinning shaft in the gearbox rattling, when you press the clutch it stops spinning. Its alway done it but made worse by the white line insert.