benmmellor

Lowering and offsets/18's width?

I've been given 'permission' by SWMBO to treat myself to some new wheels - probably OZ Ultraleggeras, Formula (HLT) or Allegrita's (HLT) in matt graphite to complement the silver.

I also have some Eibach lowering springs to go on soon. If I ever have more funds it may be an option to get coilovers but springs will do me for now.

I've now got to decide on what wheel size and width/offset to go for which will not cause issues with the lowering:

DO I stick with 17x7(or 8) ET35 or 48 or look at 18x7 (or 8) ET35 or 48? Will these be ok with lowering springs?

Any recommended tyre size for the 18x8 if I go with that option

The ET35 in either size or width would be the choice I'd go for as they will fill the arches better. An 8" ET35 rim makes for flush fitment on this car which looks ideal. Recommended tyre size for an 18x8 would be 225/40.

6 minutes ago, Varelco said:

The ET35 in either size or width would be the choice I'd go for as they will fill the arches better. An 8" ET35 rim makes for flush fitment on this car which looks ideal. Recommended tyre size for an 18x8 would be 225/40.

so 18x8 ET35 and I'd not need to think about 20/25mm spacers then. As long as I can still lower on the Eibachs and not worry about catching on the arches that'd be great.

Thats right, your fitment will be flush to the wheel arch with that set up and you won't scrub, no spacers required.

If you want to see what it will look like google our cars fitted with TSW wheels (such as their nurburgring or interlagos) they only offer a 5x100 fitment in 8" width ET35 offset. :)

Just playing with the Tyre sire comparison (frsproject.com) and it looks like 215/40/18 is the better size tyre to use ??

Given that 215/40/18 is a pretty much non-existent size tyre - how much of an effect will the wider tyre/larger rolling radius affect the handling? I appreciate that the speedo will be out slightly...

ok - looks like I need to find me a deal on some OZs then when I decide on 17's or 18's. I have a local wheel place to look after me for tyres.so will look at them for some Toyo T1R's / Yoko S Drives or similar.

Toyo's are at best shite. S-Drives are being phased out. Yoko V105's are a better bet and work really well. If you are going 18" think about an 8.5" rim for a 225. But go at least 8" wide as a minimum. 

7 hours ago, Varelco said:

Thats right, your fitment will be flush to the wheel arch with that set up and you won't scrub, no spacers required.

If you want to see what it will look like google our cars fitted with TSW wheels (such as their nurburgring or interlagos) they only offer a 5x100 fitment in 8" width ET35 offset. :)

image.jpegTSW 17 x 8 et35 with 225 17 yoko 105's with 20mm drop

they're some really nice examples... going for an ET35 - just got to see if the piggybank will cover 17's or 18's..

Tough decision time then - Ultraleggeras or Allegritas? Bear in mind there's a TRD kit with my name on it somewhere between the Japan and UK that these wheels will need to complement (when it's been sprayed and fitted !)

30 minutes ago, benmmellor said:

they're some really nice examples... going for an ET35 - just got to see if the piggybank will cover 17's or 18's..

Tough decision time then - Ultraleggeras or Allegritas? Bear in mind there's a TRD kit with my name on it somewhere between the Japan and UK that these wheels will need to complement (when it's been sprayed and fitted !)

I'd definitely go allegritas - much lighter than the ultraleggera's

1 hour ago, don said:

I'd advise to save a bit for coilovers. I've got Eibach Pro Street springs fitted and it's not a particularly nice ride on a daily car, fine on a smooth stretch of tarmac however.

225/45/17 would be a good size on a 8 inch wide wheel. You'll find they are cheaper and there is more variety than the smaller 215/45/17.

I had Spax 40mm springs on my ST202 Celica for about 10 yrs of the 12yrs I owned it - so dropping on Eibachs will be about the same effect I expect.

At some point I will probably upgrade to Tein coliovers but want new wheels and the TRD kit fitting first.

I've lowered mine 25mm on Tein luxury masters and the ride quality hasn't really changed at all. Would highly recommend them. Coilovers are a waste of money if you are only looking to drop the car for cosmetic reasons

that extra spoke seems to weigh about 1Kg lol..

Weight of the HyperGT HLT is about 19.2lbs (8.7Kg) from what I can find so about 1.1Kg heavier than the Alleggerita HLT which are 17.4lbs (7.8Kg).