Neal

Tyre advice required

Hi all 

This has probably been asked hundreds of times before but what is the common consensus as to the best day to day tyre for the gt86.

Currently fitted are Nexus something or other which are awful on the rear and mitchelin primacy on the front.

I'm swapping all 4 tyres so they match.

Normally I would go straight to kumho ku39s and be very happy at  £62 a corner.

What else suits the gt86 at less then  £100 per tyre.

Spoke to Lauren at the sprint on Sunday and she suggested yokos. 

Advice greatly appreciated 

Hello and welcome.

Can't be a lot of help comparison wise, as I've not tried the Kumho. But... the Yokohama are way better than the Primacy (obvs) and the GY Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 I had previously.

FTR though, I had Nexen Winters a couple of years ago and they were pretty good and lasted well. Not much cop when it warms up though.

A large number of us are now running the Yokos V105s and are very happy with them.....to a point where they always seems to be out of stock :wacko:  They have a very good amount of grip and last a fair period.  My 2nd choice would be the Continental Contact Sport 5's, a little more expensive I think but still sub £100 and they have more grip, especially in the wet but they also do wear quicker.

I've got sport contact 5's on my Merc. Great wet and dry grip but overheat when you start pushing on too much. The Yoko V105s seem to do okay on the track by comparison. 

I've got AD08Rs which I really like. Surprising wet weather grip too even when cold but I have yet to try then in winter temps.  

Hi Neal. Yeah, Yoko V105's extra load are a no brainer really. F1's are a bit mediocre. Contisport Contact 5's are also good, but overall I preferred the Yoko's so took them off. The Conti's are better off the line, but I'm not convinced about their lateral grip and didn't really like them in the wet. See Richard for a deal on the Yokos. 

If it's any help, Richard has just ordered 6 today. Two of them are mine. If you're quick... ;)

Evo's reecent tests rated the F1 Assy 3s the same as the Yokos, joint 2nd. You could also consider the new PS4s and P Zero as they are coming in with great reviews. The V105s are a little "last gen" tech now apparently, if you believe what you read.

12 hours ago, Tom B said:

To those suggesting Yoko's, are you running them through winter, and if so how do you find them during the miserable wet/icy/snowy conditions?

They're okay. It depends what winter weather is like. I ran winter tyres for two years and then last year had Yoko's on the front and Conti's on the back (couldn't get Yoko's at short notice and I fancied trying the Conti's). Given our mild winters I don't think it's an issue. I certainly didn't have any issues and far preferred the control and feedback I had over running winter tyres. Winter tyres are undboubtedly better if it snows (which it rarely does) or when it's below freezing. But the whole better below 7C is stretching it and just marketing ploy from what I can work out. Plus winters are terrible when temps get into double figures.  I did struggle a bit on the one day it snowed, but for one day a year or something, I didn't feel it was worth having winters. 

12 hours ago, Tom B said:

To those suggesting Yoko's, are you running them through winter, and if so how do you find them during the miserable wet/icy/snowy conditions?

Only put mine on a couple of months ago, but living in Wales its wet pretty much all of the time! In the wet they perform well! I can't speak for icy/snowy conditions yet but let the fun begin come winter time!! 

14 hours ago, knightryder said:

Evo's reecent tests rated the F1 Assy 3s the same as the Yokos, joint 2nd. You could also consider the new PS4s and P Zero as they are coming in with great reviews. The V105s are a little "last gen" tech now apparently, if you believe what you read.

I would guess that Yoko will bring out a newer version in time. But they work well, so if it ain't broke... 

I would always be wary of using F1's. Had too many problems with their lack of ability to cope with heat on track and their jelly like sidewalls. A good road tyre for average driving, but no more than that. I would expect the Michelin PS4's to be good and maybe the PZero's too. But I think I will likely use the V105's until they are no longer available. They just work so well with the car. Funnily enough I'm having a set of PS3's fitted to my AE86 (15" rims don't offer many options) as the best tyre I could get in that size. 

The PS4 is more of an evolution of the MPSS rather than PS3. Yoko do have a new Advan tyre (V701) but it's not available here yet and I can't work out if it's a replacement of the V105 or just a different mid sport tyre.

http://news.blackcircles.com/2016/03/yokohama-launch-new-advan-fleva-v701-high-performance-tyre/

I've run winters before and reckon the changeover point is more like 3C rather than 7C, if you're running decent summers. Depending on which part of the country you're in they may be a better bet or not. In the North West we rarely get enough harsh weather to make them worthwhile.

Run F1's for years with no issues, tried the AS3's and they were OK but fancied a change. Went to Michelin PS4's and jump in grip is noticeable. Still took a good tank of fuel for them to bed in like the Goodyears but high speed grip is much better. Not sure how long they'll last though, guessing not long but grip is great

In case you decide against Yoko's, or can't find them in stock, you may also consider Vredestein's. I run Sessanta's (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Ultrac-Sessanta.htm) which are more of a fast road/mild track tyre, however I found Vredestein through my first set of Vorti's (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Ultrac-Vorti.htm) on my Porsche.

Lots of Porsche owners swear by them as a sidegrade from Pilot Sports for around 75% of the price. I've used them on track, and for thousands of road miles and have very little bad to say about them. One big advantage I've found compared to other brands is how quiet they are, something that few people ever mention.

Around 8000 miles through my set on the GT86, and they look like they've barely been used. That 8000 miles includes a track day and a fair amount of drifting too.

Sometimes the most popular choice isn't always the best ;)