Lordyboi

Should the car height be level or higher in the rear?

Just switched from lowering springs to coilovers, I liked the height that my car was with lowering springs so set the coilovers to the same hight but think it needs to drop a little more in the rear.

I had the Eibach pro lowering kit which is 25mm drop in the front and 20mm drop in the rear.

Is there a reason Eibach choose to set spec their rear springs 5mm higher? 

Generally speaking, standard cars tend to have higher front ends so some spring manufacturers drop the front ends slightly more so that the car sits level with the lowering springs fitted.

Changing rake can change a bit weight distribution & aero balance. I guess lowering front more, will make it less understeery. Then again, if that matters a lot like on track, more then possibly one has several other means/mods to change that, eg. more track fit alignment, or aero upgrades. I probably wouldn't overthing too much this rake change.

21 hours ago, Church said:

Changing rake can change a bit weight distribution & aero balance. I guess lowering front more, will make it less understeery. Then again, if that matters a lot like on track, more then possibly one has several other means/mods to change that, eg. more track fit alignment, or aero upgrades. I probably wouldn't overthing too much this rake change.

I have the verus front splitter already installed so I can angle it down a little more to counter the change in rake in regards to air flow under the car.

I measured the car height before the change then set the coilovers the same and the rear was 20mm higher then the front (66cm from ground to top of fender arch in the rear and 64cm from ground to the top of the fender arch in the front) but im now thinking that maybe the fender arch is higher in the rear maybe? The spring rate of my coilovers is also 6kg in the rear with 5kg in the front so I guess a stiffer spring on the lighter end of the car could be holding the rear up giving the illusion of a larger gap, but the standard spring rate is 1kg more in the rear as well so this should look the same as stock give or take.

If you want the car to sit level then just adjust the height to your visual tastes. What you’ll find though is the suspension travel is shorter on the rear. Hence why a lot of drivers keep the rear slightly higher to allow better handling and a better drive. I’ve always preferred more front rake on the GT86.