SlowSpeedDemon

Identification request - what component is this?

I shoehorned a Christmas tree in the boot and ripped this part apart, as seen in the photos. It seems to be a solenoid of some sort housed in the brown enclosure placed on the boot/trunk arch, and connected by the dangling connector.

What component is this and what purpose it serves?

Thanks.

89307114-4A66-45BC-BBCC-42E1AD912B2A.jpeg

DC6C319B-B1D5-4721-9033-D2143BA144F7.jpeg

Forgot to mention there is no apparent impact and I couldn’t notice a loss of functionality anywhere. The car is  2017 reg (67) and owned from new - the only option I didn’t take was the sound upgrade to JBLpro - so it is not the case that a previous owner tried to install some extras.

Lights - check, sounds - check, radio - DAB/AM/FM - check, GPS - check.

I wonder if it is an acceleration sensor of sorts - I'll need to look at the G-force display if it still works.

Also what I haven't checked is if the emergency breaking light flashes.

Any chance it can be your reverse parking sensor connector?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

On mine all the parking sensor gubbins is behind the passenger side boot trim panel.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, 86iain said:

Is it the key sensor for the keyless entry?

I think it's this. There is an identical box mounted behind the trim which holds the Start button. 

OP - are you still able to open the boot with the key in your pocket while the car is locked?

I can see a capacitor and a coil, which may form a resonant circuit, making a keyless entry detector rather plausible.

35 minutes ago, nerdstrike said:

More like the "don't leave your key in the boot" detector. It might serve to improve reception too.

I would agree as the warning beeps have saved me a few times when I've put my coat in the boot shut the boot and not taken the fob out first. At least the boot opens again with the fob in the boot lol

Given that the gt86 boot only opens if you happen to be standing right behind the car (even when the rest of the car is unlocked too), I am also rather glad of the boot release button next to the steering wheel. Otherwise getting the fob out of your pocket to press the fob button or getting out the car to stand next to the boot whilst the passenger you are dropping off gets their stuff out the boot would be a right faff lol.

Cade Bull, it is definitely antenna no 4 the one busted (figure from the car manual below), and I haven't seen any issue so far (yes the boot still unlocks when sensing the key in my pocket, but we know that is antenna no 3 which should work). I'll try to lock the key inside - but that in the evening when I'll have access to my spare key 🙂

Screenshot 2020-01-16 at 12.07.34.png

Screenshot 2020-01-16 at 12.10.08.png