Oghero

Fensport stage 5 AVO Turbo

Hi y'all I'm new here, haven't posted in the "newbies" yet, and couldn't figure out how to put myself on the members map too.

Just wanted to ask if anybody here has the Fensport stage 5 turbo kit fitted without prior supporting mods being fitted. Was wondering if i was going to go for that as is, with only a down pipe and catback fitted, what kind of numbers would i see on the dyno.

On the website it just says 250-550 depending on mods already on the car.

And one more thing, has anybody here gone for a Ptuning turbo kit, they get a lot of praise from what I've searched but after browsing here for the past week i can't see much evidence of it.

Thanks!

Hero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typically the restricting aspects will be the cat, followed by the conrods. 280bhp is considered a safe limit. So unless you specifically want the all singing all dancing ball bearing Garrett turbo you are better off with Stage 1 & 2 and saving a big wedge of money.

IIRC you wont find anybody running the Ptuning turbo kit as it only fits LHD cars.

The most widely fitted or at least discussed turbo kit on the forums is the Tuning Developments one, they are active on the forums and have a great reputation so might be worth a look. 

Not that I am an expert, but consensus seem to be:

- Stage 1 will get you 280ish (I have just over with TD kit at 0.4 bars), may be a bit more with 0.5 bars.

For this you should think of exhaust mods (decat or sports cat), oil cooler (particularly if you intend going on track or do longer spirited drives), may be an autobox cooler if you have AT.

I would also consider upgrading tyres, brakes (at least pads) and potentially wider wheels. Nannies on the car are pretty good, but with increased torque and power its pretty easy to loose the rear (some may prefer it though).

Stage 2 onwards, ie 300 bhp +, seem to require engine build and further mods. Although I have seen stock engine with more not sure I would be tempted to play the lottery (particularly taking the car on track).

But then even wirh 280-290 hp the car drives very differently and I think if want more (much more) its either crazy money or different car (I am sure Supras with fairly reliable mods will be easily in 400hp+ range).

Come to one if the club meets or track days, you can see a few TC (TD, AVO by Fensport) and SC (Cosworth) options, most would be 280 ish range though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Honestly if I was you I wouldn't even consider doing stage 1 without meeting some of the recommended items, never mind stage 5! They're recommended for a reason and it's to stop things going bang.

If tuned correctly the FA20 does like FI but it can go horribly wrong if done cheap and unsafe. The general figures you see floating around is 280 on a standard engine with not many changes, pushing over 300 is doable if you push the torque to the high end more (main issue is the engine has a lot of torque low end already so pushing that further can cause bent rods). You're talking new clutch, uprated fuel pump, injectors etc to get 300+ stats really.

I wouldn't want to go over like 320ish before a full forge engine rebuild.

I'm looking into the FI route myself and decided to spend a year or 2 prepping the car so I can properly have time to research every bit to ensure its done as safely as possible and I can get the most out of the turbo without causing issues.

End of the day if you want the high BHP figures this is the wrong car for you. It's a lightweight sports car, 280-300bhp in this is nothing like the same in say a Golf.

Thanks for the responses everyone.
So I'm not too sure why i would only go for stage 2 then... in the stage 3 4 and 5 kits they have more and more things added in the description of the Fensport website, does that mean it's all overkill parts because i wouldn't let it past 300 anyway? And what's the reason everybody always stops at the 300 mark, is it because changing engine internals are expensive or just fear of messing anything up at all.

I'm a tuning noob and am i excited for this whole thing, I've always driven stock rather than tuning them faster myself.

Engine builds are quite expensive, and then you are going in to the world of looking towards strengthening the transmission around 350hp...(I think).

The  I'd probably be wanting better brakes, suspension, oil coolers, wider wheels and tyres...the list goes on.

Honestly if I was you I wouldn't even consider doing stage 1 without meeting some of the recommended items, never mind stage 5! They're recommended for a reason and it's to stop things going bang.

If tuned correctly the FA20 does like FI but it can go horribly wrong if done cheap and unsafe. The general figures you see floating around is 280 on a standard engine with not many changes, pushing over 300 is doable if you push the torque to the high end more (main issue is the engine has a lot of torque low end already so pushing that further can cause bent rods). You're talking new clutch, uprated fuel pump, injectors etc to get 300+ stats really.

I wouldn't want to go over like 320ish before a full forge engine rebuild.

I'm looking into the FI route myself and decided to spend a year or 2 prepping the car so I can properly have time to research every bit to ensure its done as safely as possible and I can get the most out of the turbo without causing issues.

End of the day if you want the high BHP figures this is the wrong car for you. It's a lightweight sports car, 280-300bhp in this is nothing like the same in say a Golf.

Thankyou actually what you end with the is perfect to what i wanted to know thankyou.

Had anybody got times for 0-60 and 1/4 miles after tuning to about 280-300?

I'd really like to know what to expect.

20 minutes ago, Oghero said:

Thankyou actually what you end with the is perfect to what i wanted to know thankyou.

Had anybody got times for 0-60 and 1/4 miles after tuning to about 280-300?

I'd really like to know what to expect.

In the nicest possible way, if you're dead set on getting the best acceleration, then perhaps you should consider other cars?

Because that isn't what the GT86 is about.

It's going to cost you a lot more in the long run to tune a GT86 to get to high horse power and compete with other cars' straight line speed for the same cost. 

Take one for a test drive down some fast B roads and you'll see what I mean

Edit: Ignore most of that I got ahead of myself replying and didn't read the original post properly. Apologies. 

However, going straight into massive horsepower from forced induction you should seriously consider supporting mods. Think of brakes, for example. If you double the power, are you comfortable on stock brakes? I know I wouldn't be. 

In the nicest possible way, if you're dead set on getting the best acceleration, then perhaps you should consider other cars?
Because that isn't what the GT86 is about.
It's going to cost you a lot more in the long run to tune a GT86 to get to high horse power and compete with other cars' straight line speed for the same cost. 
Take one for a test drive down some fast B roads and you'll see what I mean
Edit: Ignore most of that I got ahead of myself replying and didn't read the original post properly. Apologies. 
However, going straight into massive horsepower from forced induction you should seriously consider supporting mods. Think of brakes, for example. If you double the power, are you comfortable on stock brakes? I know I wouldn't be. 

Thanks, no worries. Actually the more questions i asked the more it probably sounded like I'm chasing biggest hp etc but actually I'm just curious as to how high i could potentially go and at what cost. And naturally increasing the power i was curious to see how it impacts the acceleration.

Honestly I'm a big fan of this car being a momentum car and have supported it all the way since it was previewed to all the journalists and watching all the videos in the beginning. But just recently after picking up my car I've been on a YouTube video frenzy and can't stop looking at turbo 86s. So I'm now tempted to just go for it, especially if the car can handle it.

£5K will get you to 300bhp the cost of a turbo. Why not speak to Adrian at Fensport? He'll be able to tell you all about it His GT86R is running 660bhp or so now. It's not a road car though.  

Another £5K say for the engine build so it can take more power. 

£1000+ for wheels 

£500 for tyres

£1000 for coilovers

£1500 for BBK minimum

Then all the labour costs to add to that. Don't forget to add oil coolers and all that stuff too. 

I've driven a Stage 1 AVO Turbo and the Stage 3 a few years ago. I preferred the delivery of the Stage 1. Stage 3 felt a bit like overkill, so be careful what you wish for. I've driven powerful cars and the whole experience is dominated by the power which is not always a good thing. 

46 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I've driven powerful cars and the whole experience is dominated by the power which is not always a good thing. 

Totally agreed, my VXR8, SL55AMG, STI were a hoon, but the little 86' is a far more rewarding drive overall.

Not to say I don't severely miss a 5.5 supercharged V8 ;)

I'm not aware of anyone that is running a kit above Stage 3. (Ignoring Adrian @ Fensport)

A while ago (like 2 years ago) I spoke with Adrian and he gave me a quote for a Stage 2 turbo kit, here's the cost:

Item Price
Stage 1 Turbo Kit - Base Kit - Ceramic Coated - GT86 / BRZ £2,999.00
Avo Turboworld Race Breather System - GT86 / BRZ £199.00
Forge Dump Valve - GT86 / BRZ £110.00
GT86 / BRZ 3 bar map Sensor £89.95
GT86 OEM Toyota Oil Filter £8.62
GT86 Drain Plug Gasket £0.88
CFS 0w30 NT 5L Millers Fully Synthetic Engine Oil With Nano Tec £63.95
CFS 0w30 NT 1L Millers Fully Synthetic Engine Oil With Nano Tec £13.95
Turbo Remap - Fensport GT86 - License included £575.00
GT86 Steel Flywheel - Xtreme 1 222.00 £222.00
GT86 HD single organic sprung clutch kit – Xtreme £338.00
CRX 75w90 1 NT 1 Litre Millers Gear Oil £40.50
Labour £900.00

Sub Total £5,560.85
VAT £1,112.17
Grand Total £6,673.02

Not knowing you car, you'll also want a full exhaust system and upgraded brakes at the minimum. 

This will support over 300hp, I think the limit of the fuel injectors is something like 330hp. However anymore than 300hp and your pushing your luck with the engine. 

Totally agreed, my VXR8, SL55AMG, STI were a hoon, but the little 86' is a far more rewarding drive overall.
Not to say I don't severely miss a 5.5 supercharged V8

Yeah i agree also.. There is also another kind of appeal to that scary kind of fast though which can also be fun sometimes. To know that the car can handle so much more than what we dare to do.

But yeah i think my 86 should stay relatively calm. I dont wanna make it feel like hardcore race car, just want a bit more poke incase i want it quickly.

Thanks for all the help and insight guys. And Lauren for the detail in the expected costs... I had an idea but when you list it out together it feels like it builds up fast. Esp bbk and such. Not sure if i wanna go full coilover though, i here they are generally a bit harsh compared to just simply lowering it a little.