Hi,

I'm new to the forum but would appreciate and help or advice you have. I picked up a 2012 GT86 last August from a dealer. Eight months on and with only 53k on the clock, I get some engine noise. Toyota dealer says I need a new short block (no further explanation given). Toyota won't do as a warranty repair but kindly offered to "help" by quoting me for a replacement block for a mere £8K.

Not sure how to go about fixing this. Should I consider trying to repair the existing block, fit a 2nd hand engine or maybe a re-manufactured engine?

Any thoughts or experience appreciated.

Luke

Sorry to hear about your problems. I think a 2nd hand motor will be half the cost to source and to fit than Toyota. Ebay has them between 2-3k then its just labour so if you find a friendly garage you might get very lucky on fitting.

Welcome Luke, sorry to hear of your troubles! Your cheapest option is to fit a 2nd hand engine. Rebuilding the FA20 isnt the cheapest or simplest of tasks, however if you have it rebuilt you are bound to get a degree of warranty and knowledge that you shouldn't have any further problems, something which isn't 100% guaranteed with a 2nd hand engine

Did the car not come with a years warranty from the dealer you purchased the car from ? Also was a deposit paid via any credit card.
This.

The goods have not lasted a reasonable length of time all being equal.

I've found www.moneysavingexpert.com very helpful in finding out what my consumer rights are under law. The forums are also a good source of help and information. Likely there has been someone in your situation before.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your comments. Unfortunately, I didn't pay using a credit card and the dealer warranty has run out. Not sure if I have any come back on them so might take some legal advice on that. In the meantime, I've getting some quotes...

Thanks again,
Luke

2 minutes ago, LukeDev said:

Thank you all for your comments. Unfortunately, I didn't pay using a credit card and the dealer warranty has run out. Not sure if I have any come back on them so might take some legal advice on that. In the meantime, I've getting some quotes...

Thanks again,
Luke

Credit card or not, they should honour a 1 year warranty. 

Hi Paul/Cerastes

The dealer gave a 6 month warranty which has expired now. The engine noise is a load rattle, possible big ends or crank bearings (I'm told). The main dealer didn't strip but said they would not repair this type of failure, only replace it. Toyota very unhelpful and tried to blame it on the most recent service not being done by a Toyota dealer.

Really sorry this happened to you. Maybe take it to a mechanic you know and trust, to get a second opinion? Toyota could be just saying those things to make you pay out; of course they would never do that :ph34r::rolleyes:

Feel for you bud...

I would get it to abbey, fensport or tuning developments etc who know what they are talking about and have experience repairing these engines. 8k must be the price of a crate engine right? You need the engine inspected once apart to understand whats caused the issue as well.

Worst case new shortblock is about 1.8k from fensport, providing you can reuse alot of your parts it might take the sting out of it. Also depending on your plans and budget if youre rebuilding the engine do you slip in some stronger rods or FI. Ok, maybe that last bit was my man maths coming out!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks Dom2497. Yes, the 8k was for a brand new Toyota warranted engine. Crazy cost when you consider the value of the car.

I've found a local company who *may* be able to recondition the existing block. So I'm in discussions with them now.

I'll report back if anyone's interested...

Brand new & by official dealership prices .. of course, hardly considerable choice. I was cited for new gearbox IIRC some 5.5K eur. Compare that price to used gearbox price of 600-1000eur :).

I wish for you to find where/how to fix for reasonable sum and hope that you won't get too discouraged with this car in general due lemon you got. Unfortunately it's not that uncommon for performance/sporty cars to see high share of abuse, or they might be heavily modded (eg. forced induction with alongside higher load/wear) and returned to stock just prior selling off. Same for buying used STIs, EVOs, Type-Rs. They hardly get bought for steady cruising to church once a week :). I understand that shop reselling this car to you didn't want to stomach such costs out of goodwill, if they probably weren't ones that subjected that car to abuse that may start causing failures and warrantying at bare minimum they could. But then again you didn't deserve such bad luck either and could have expected for them to be more thorough on car inspection when they took it in. Again, I can only wish for you to get this issue fixed for reasonable cost and to not start hating car itself

4 hours ago, LukeDev said:

I've found a local company who *may* be able to recondition the existing block. So I'm in discussions with them now.

How reputable are they? *may* would be a word that would set my spidey sense tingling!

There's a couple of places breaking low mileage engines - I know there are 3 cars at DAS in Bradford which might be a suitbale donor engine.

Might be worth a look at the cost of a transplant rather than open heard surgery on an already suspect engine?