MartinT

Leaking Shocks

During my first service last week both front shocks were pronounced leaking. The car is just a year old. They're going to be replaced under warranty tomorrow but is this a known issue?

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

The shocks have now been replaced.  Handling was becoming quite bouncy so they really needed doing by yesterday.  The damping left inside them was almost zero.

Yes, lowered with H&R Super Sport springs.  I can't see that being a problem as (a) hundreds of BRZ/GT86 are lowered without damage to their shocks and (b) the length of travel is reduced, not increased.

Its not the springs themselves its when they are installed where the damage is caused. Its caught a few people out, if you impact gun the top nut or spin the damper spindle/rod when removing it, it trashes the seals and causes the dampers to leak.

Yes two going at once is quite a coincidence. Taking off the top nut and refitting the top mount is quite a delicate process and this is what happens if you're over exuberant. You're quite lucky Toyota is replacing them.

"if you impact gun the top nut .. it trashes the seals and causes the dampers to leak."

Hmm, but i recall exactly using impact on top nut as advised by Vorschlag on camberplates to tighten that nut for coilovers & pillowball camberplates. https://youtu.be/2bab6x47CSs

As if not properly tightened, bearing may clang and soon go bad, and if using other ways to prevent shaft from rotating, then it may get scraped and thus also damage to coilovers.

Different dampers Church. This only seems to be an issue on stock dampers.

Its good practice not to use that method anyway. When a damper rod has a hex/torx socket recess or flats built into the end of it, its usually there for a reason.

You can tighten the top hat nut sufficiently with a ring spanner. Not to mention to the correct torque setting, no need to an impact gun, its not like your trying to whack off crank pulley bolts etc.

Church on some coilovers it's a necessary evil as it can be hard to grip the shaft and there's no Allen key slot in the top to hold it. On the stock strut there is an Allen slot and thus an impact is not necessary.

If you do use a impact you need to be careful!

(This is from practical experience of fitting a few sets of coilovers top mounts and OEM struts)

Thanks, guys.  It does seem as if damage in fitting the springs may have been the cause.  The Subaru service centre are making the warranty claim on my behalf but it's not a done deal that they will honour it.