MartinT

New Wheels or Spacers?

I'm trying to decide on whether I should go for a new set of wheels or keep the rather nice BRZ 17" wheels and install spacers.  Or even just leave things be?

Grip, even with the silly Michelin Primacies, isn't as bad as I had expected, largely due to the excellent chassis.  The wheels look nice but when I have the car lowered by 20mm fitment is going to look a bit poor.  So, do I install something like the H&R 20mm spacers which extend the hubs?  Then perhaps swap to Yokohamas when ready?

Or do I go for 18" wheels with the correct ET and 225 tyres?

There is nothing terribly wrong with spacers, though I wouldn't use them personally. If you like the stock wheels (and not many do) then that's cool. You could of course get aftermarket wheels with a lower offset and they will fill the arches better. I run 17x8 with ET38 on stock tyre sizes on a lowered car and it works pretty well. Personal preference and all that.

Thanks, all.  If I go for the 20mm spacers (which I know Tuning Developments supply and I'm going there on Friday), can I expect the handling to be largely similar?  I wouldn't expect it to be a problem, but just asking.

You might want to stagger the spacers to get the same appearance front and rear, I went for 15mm up front and 20mm on the rear, looks so much better than stock. 20mm F and 25mm R is a good combo too.

In terms of handling it doesn't make any difference to the way the car behaves, the only thing you will notice is a slight increase in the weight of the steering.