Lowe

Fender trim removal

2 hours ago, Lowe said:

Got some TRD style aero fins coming soon, wondered if anyone's got a guide on how you remove the standard parts? Cheers :)

Depending on what you bought, most are stick over the OEM rather than replace.

21 hours ago, knightryder said:

Depending on what you bought, most are stick over the OEM rather than replace.

I don't know of any that stick over the stock ones. For the TRD ones you certainly remove the OEM ones then fit the TRD aero fins.

I've had the TRD fins for four years now. Have the stock ones sitting in a box at home somewhere.

34 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I don't know of any that stick over the stock ones. For the TRD ones you certainly remove the OEM ones then fit the TRD aero fins.

I've had the TRD fins for four years now. Have the stock ones sitting in a box at home somewhere.

There's plenty of cheap ones that sit on top

6 minutes ago, Lowe said:

Saving 250 quid or more of import and scene tax I guess - especially when 99% people won’t tell the difference. 

But you would know, wouldn't you? 

Must admit, got my TRD Aero Fins as an Xmas pressie. But I wouldnt' fit stick on ones or fake ones. Do it once.... 

Perhaps, but then how far do you go? Most of the TRD spoilers aren't 'real'. I think for me the line stops with something that's functional. In that case, for me I'll want the original best working part. But just cosmetics? Not so important for me personally. I've got no idea what kind my fins will be, but if they're stick on I'll hardly cry a river. :)

I honestly wouldn't bother if it's not genuine parts. I don't do fake parts on my car. So I'd much rather go without than fitting something that is a copy of something else. Obviously that's just me though, people can and do what they like to their cars. I'll never approve though. :P

Depends, wouldn't get replica cheap stuff when it concerns mechanical stuff, engine, brakes and suspension stuff. 

But when it's aerodynamic, bodywork and interior you wouldn't need genuine parts, most of its cosmetic so won't make much difference. 

Anyway, back to topic. From what I remember is you can open the door and use a trim removal tool to pop them off. I believe they have 4 black clips. Which you should see on your current TRD fins. They may need pushing to pop off, sorry I can't fully remember. There is a YouTube video of an American doing it. Just skip to the bits when he does it, as usual with American YouTube's they waffle and waffle. 

Also you may need something to remove sticky goo.