Guest 86guns

Advice please - 18" tyres for road use

Guest 86guns

Hi all. My Blanco has 18" wheels fitted as standard with Yoko Advan Sport V105S tyres (which I find are unbelievably noisy). The rears are ready for changing and so I'm looking for any recommendations with comfort/low noise as the main criteria. My car will not be tracked and it doesn't go out in the rain 😳

Michelin PS4's are what I'd recommend. But they aren't the quietest tyres (which is literally their only downside). Dunlop RT2's and Goodyear F1 AS3's are quiet road tyres, but both will wear quicker and perform worse than the Michelin PS4. 

3 minutes ago, Deacon said:

I'd also vote PS4's. Them not being the quietest is more than made up for by their grip in both wet and dry imho.

It actually feels like cheating in the wet :lol:

Guest 86guns

I ended up fitting a pair Goodyear Eagle F1 based on reviews, advice, cost and availability. Very impressed so far. 

I have the F1 AS3s all round, and it was choice between them and PS4s.  In the end I felt the rim protection was better on the F1s, and that was more important for me than the additional benefits of the PS4s.  The F1s I find very quiet and give a super ride on lowered suspension.

Guest 86guns
2 hours ago, Subota Boy said:

I have the F1 AS3s all round, and it was choice between them and PS4s.  In the end I felt the rim protection was better on the F1s, and that was more important for me than the additional benefits of the PS4s.  The F1s I find very quiet and give a super ride on lowered suspension.

Yes you are correct the rim protection is very pronounced, not something I'd taken into account, but very welcome.

To me first thing to care for is grip (at most of roads/situations i'm driving (thus including wet grip), second - wear. All the rest are 'nice to have' like noise/comfort/fuel economy (rolling resistance)/cost but certainly something i'm willing to give up for first, and at a little bit less for second. Cornering speed, lap speed, braking distance, safety .. all depends on grip. Wear - a bit other words to say is for that to last a bit longer and cheaper, within reasonable price/performancy. From this i guess MPS4 is very close to best choice for dual-use tire of daily driving and some track use.