Collateral

What front pipe and Manifold to have?

Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

I have installed a cat back Scorpion resonated system (https://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/toyota-gt86-2012-2015-resonated-secondary-cat-back-system-daytona), it's quiet which is perfect. 

I am now looking to get the front pipe, overpipe and manifold done...

Now Scorpion does a secondary cat delete and overpipe. (https://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/toyota-gt86-2012-2015-secondary-catalyst-replacement-de-cat) & (https://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/toyota-gt86-2012-2015-downpipe), however, they do not do a manifold...

My question is, is it worth getting the other scorpion products to make a complete system and then a different manifold, or is there a better different approach?

FYI, I want to keep my Scorpion cat back, this is not changing. :)

2 minutes ago, Collateral said:

Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

I have installed a cat back Scorpion resonated system (https://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/toyota-gt86-2012-2015-resonated-secondary-cat-back-system-daytona), it's quiet which is perfect. 

I am now looking to get the front pipe, overpipe and manifold done...

Now Scorpion does a secondary cat delete and overpipe. (https://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/toyota-gt86-2012-2015-secondary-catalyst-replacement-de-cat) & (https://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/toyota-gt86-2012-2015-downpipe), however, they do not do a manifold...

My question is, is it worth getting the other scorpion products to make a complete system and then a different manifold, or is there a better different approach?

FYI, I want to keep my Scorpion cat back, this is not changing. :)

The TD manifold and overpipe package would get my money - proven gains time and again.

6 minutes ago, Deacon said:

The TD manifold and overpipe package would get my money - proven gains time and again.

Interesting, I wonder if TD do a front pipe which would connect to my Scorpion system...

10 minutes ago, Collateral said:

Interesting, I wonder if TD do a front pipe which would connect to my Scorpion system...

If the rest of your exhaust is stock, no reason why it wouldn't match up.

Also +1 for the TD package.

Our exhaust parts are designed to fit with the stock items. So long as your CAT Back fits on a stock car, it should be compatible with our parts.

Our manifold works well and we're very busy with removing torque dips currently :) 

Thanks

Mike

57 minutes ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

Our exhaust parts are designed to fit with the stock items. So long as your CAT Back fits on a stock car, it should be compatible with our parts.

Our manifold works well and we're very busy with removing torque dips currently :) 

Thanks

Mike

Good stuff! 

Yep my Scorpion system fits the stock front pipe, I may have to have a look on your website. 

The Tuning Developments equal length manifold really is the best one to get. The primaries are long on it which is what gives a big increase in torque. I've gone from 125lb/ft at 3750rpm to 175lb/ft at the same rpm. Massive difference. Totally transforms the car. As others have probably said it will mate to any other system that has the same couplings as the stock system. You may though, want to consider their resonated system as well though. TD get their exhausts and manifolds made by JP Exhausts in Macclesfield. I used them for years before I got my GT86. JP make amazing quality exhausts and manifolds, their quality is second to none. You can still keep your second cat with TD's manifold and catback exhaust. That should keep it quiet enough. I just ditched the second cat as well so mine is a bit louder. Not an issue though. 

I have a HKS EL manifold only used a few months that's for sale. also have a 2.5" jdl overpipe which is just the same as any other aftermarket overpipe really but its a bit larger as most are 2.25  asking 500 for the manifold and 100 for the overpipe

If you like your car quiet now, changing the manifold will make it louder and probably alter the tone of the exhaust. Catless manifolds (and even some catted ones) are not quiet.

To the OP have you a picture of where the exhaust splits to go into the 2 rear silencers ?  im looking at exhaust options and Scorpion seems available at good price but interested in the design where it splits into silencers for the flow, some ive seen setups have a sharp 90degree bend at the spit which is never good in an exhaust.

Ian

2 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

Another one here for the TD mani and overpipe. Mine is with the stock catback and has just sailed through its mot. I do have a resonated scorpion catback but have never got round to trying it yet

I would think the TD mani and overpipe should work well enough with any decent catback.

Can you get a picture from your Scorpion system where the pipe splits and goes into rear 2 silencers ? :)

Cheers

Ian

Sounds like I have a different Scorp Ian as there is just a single back box with the tail pipes coming out of that on mine. The pipe going in to the back box is a slip on and clamp up affair. If you stil want pics I will be going over to my garage tomorrow evening so I could take some then

9 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

Sounds like I have a different Scorp Ian as there is just a single back box with the tail pipes coming out of that on mine. The pipe going in to the back box is a slip on and clamp up affair. If you stil want pics I will be going over to my garage tomorrow evening so I could take some then

Hi Andrew,

Ah ok must be a different design then, makes me wonder if some of the cheaper ones for sale will be the single rear silencer version as im sure its cheaper to make like that, the one in the following link is what I was interested in,  as long as its a nice smooth split into silencers -  https://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/toyota-gt86-2012-2015-resonated-secondary-cat-back-system-daytona

Ian

Yep mines exactly what is on the link. 

@thetyrant Picture from below the car. 

12cyfHZl.jpg

The resonated version is extremely quiet compared to other aftermarket exhausts, I have had people make statements of 'Have you actually changed the exhaust?'

Which is perfect in my eyes, as I am to change the front pipe, over pipe and manifold at a later date... should mean it's not overly loud when it's all done.

Thanks for the picture looks a nicely engineered split :) , i like the idea of 2 larger silencer rather than 1 with a t-piece internal as i dont want a lot of extra noise either, most of the time im happy with how quiet stock system is (as are my neigbours!)  especially after the noiser Avo system fitted previously, however i would like a little more sporty sound but mainly i want better flow than stock setup to allow my supercharger to breath, i was thinking Hayward and scott setup but as they are built to order with 2-4weeks delay it stops the impluse of just getting it bought and fitted, also the Scorpion is cheaper and while im sure probably not quite as nice quality as the H&S  ive always been happy with their stuff in past.

Just to add i have a 2.5" decatted but silenced midpipe and overpipe  fitted currently with stock manifold and cat back, i do have a freelow manifold to fit as well so if i go scorpion i will let you know how it all sounds with each part.

Cheers

Ian

Quieter or louder in addition to own subjective feel of what is what also may depend on use. I would love louder exhaust for short trips or on track .. but if i often cruised on highways for few hours each trip, i'm sure i'd get tired from loud constant noise and would prefer quieter one.

In ideal world all the exhaust offerings would have remotely actuated valves to make it quieter or louder on press of a button :)

49 minutes ago, Church said:

Quieter or louder in addition to own subjective feel of what is what also may depend on use. I would love louder exhaust for short trips or on track .. but if i often cruised on highways for few hours each trip, i'm sure i'd get tired from loud constant noise and would prefer quieter one.

In ideal world all the exhaust offerings would have remotely actuated valves to make it quieter or louder on press of a button :)

There is an exhaust like this! http://www.fi-exhaust.com/product/toyota/86.html 

I enquired before I purchased mine, I was quoted ''Catback system of Fi exhaust for Toyota GT86 includes: Mid pipe + Valvetronic Muffler + Titanium blue dual Tips with remote controller module, and the price is USD 2,500.''

The local installer in UK is http://eurocharged.uk.com apparently. 

I didn't pursue it because it's far too expensive. 

Oh, there was even DIY mod for stock catback probably much cheaper, valve can be also not electric actuated but eg. by some lever or (hmm, don't know the english word - metallic wire in flexible tube) for further cheapening, just that imho catback that wasn't designed with such feature in mind, probably won't sound well in one of modes. For example i don't want exactly "uber loud" in "loudest" like with some muffler-less direct output testpipe .. just loud enough and of tone i want for it to be main mode unless i want to cruise for long or to keep better relationship with neighbours, when i switch back to quiet mode.

Still, my wish still stays - if no catback is best for every situation out there, then have one that can be operated at different modes with easy enough to switch (bolting in some extra "silencer" or having to crawl under car to switch is not "easy enough" by my book :) ). Nice, if not more expensive than +300$ over "normal" catback.